Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

The poster for Philomena is awful, just awful. The trailer is not great either. But the film is wonderful. People loved it at the London film festival. And I mean both the journalists at the press screening and the public - that's suggests a film that will win hearts - don't underestimate that.I loved it. I don't think it is worthy of best picture - that must surely go to TYAS. But it is the film people will walk out of feeling great, despite the sad moments in it.Judith Dench is my bet to take best actress if Cate hasn't got it in the bag.

• Like 1

Current predictions:

12 Years

American Hustle

Book Thief

Captain Philips

Gravity

Inside Llewyn Davis

Philomena

Saving Mr. Banks

Wolf of Wall Street

10th film if there are 10....lets see....Nebraska 

Updated

Pole Position (very huge buzz, strong reviews)

12 years a slave - still, the clear frontrunner

Gravity - the crowd pleaser & the technical gem spot

Philomena - the emotional drama and Weinstein's biggest contender

Captain Phillips - Hanks comeback, true heroism, big success & emotional finale

Saving Mr Banks - an emotional  inner Hollywood story, solid buzz

Second line (very good chances)

Nebraska (great buzz, increasing hype. Too independent?)

Her (raves after being showed, plus Jonze increasing prestige & Phoenix buzz, but we know how AMPAS are)

American Hustle (the hype for this is strong, but it has yet to be widely shown)

Llewyn Davies (never bet against the Coens. Also very good prebuzz, but will this be appealing to GA?)

The Butler (never bet against Oprah, also Oscars loves that kind of films)

Third line (solid points, but maybe seen as a screenplay or actors vehicle) 

August (the buzz at tiff is there are solid perfs, but the film is not that strong. Needs BO to be in the conversation)

The Wolf of Wall Street (that delay plus that theme... yet to be seen. But it's DiCaprio + Scorsese)

All is lost (solid reception at Cannes, can be seen only as a Redford's comeback vehicle, BO early gains are not very strong)

Dallas Buyers Club (actor, sup actor)

Blue Jasmine (actress, but Woody Alllen has a lot of AMPAS followers)

Might surprise (longshots or unseen)

Rush (never bet against Howard, but that poor BO run...)

Prisoners (overshadowed already by Captain & Gravity)

Walter Mitty (needs huge success, mild early reception)

Labor Day (early buzz not that strong)

If I had to bet, I would say we will have 8 films (12YAS, Gravity, CP, SMB, Philomena, Nebraska, Her and AH). Scorsese & Coen's missing the cut.

• Like 1

The poster for Philomena is awful, just awful. The trailer is not great either. But the film is wonderful. People loved it at the London film festival. And I mean both the journalists at the press screening and the public - that's suggests a film that will win hearts - don't underestimate that.I loved it. I don't think it is worthy of best picture - that must surely go to TYAS. But it is the film people will walk out of feeling great, despite the sad moments in it.Judith Dench is my bet to take best actress if Cate hasn't got it in the bag.

Weinstein better push this instead of August!  :wub: & it should get like all of Baftas!

well he has Fruitvale Station & the Butler too but i hope he has money 4 everyone  :lol:

hopefully we'll have a field of 10 films

Edited by Leyla

UPDATE 

LOCKS

GRAVITY- That box office run and reviews. ITS IN

12 YEARS A SLAVE- REVIEWS and great box office for a limited release. ITS INCAPTAIN PHILIPS- Again, box office and reviews. ITS IN

ALL BUT THERE

SAVING MR BANKS- great early reviews and being about HollywoodAMERICAN HUSTLE- The all star cast and it looks like it is in a position to do really well

FILMS I THINK WILL MAKE IT

THE BUTLER- This film is still included in the talk after 3 months after getting released, I think it will make it.

WOLF OF WALL STREET- It's a Scorcese film being released on Christmas. This will take Django's spot from last year

INSIDE LLWYEN DAVIES- Great reviews and a Coen brothers film, I think it's got a spot at the minute

PHILOMENA- Great box office in the UK and fantastic reviews. Also Judi Dench might push it even more. Think this will secure the last place

OTHER FILMS IN CONTENTION [in order of most likely]

The Book Thief- Buzz is starting to build

Nebraska- Need to see how well it plays to a general audience first

August: osage county- Not great reviews stop this from getting in

Her- buzz seems to have gone a bit downhill

Dallas Buyers Club- A good debut and nice buzz but too much competition

Blue Jasmine- Again, I think Blanchet is more likely to get an award. Can't see this up for picture at the minute.

Out Of The Furnace- I think this will fall under the radar

Blue is the warmest colour- Potentially taking the Foreign language spot

Before Midnight- Hard to remember but they might give it a spot as a whole on the series

All Is Lost- very unlikely now with not great box office gross but not fully ruled out

Lone Survivor- Low buzz, but with a release pattern echoing Zero Dark Thirty, this might maybe sneak in if it gets good reviews. 

OUT

Prisoners- An ok box office run but too much competition means I cant see it getting nominated

Monuments Men- Has moved to 2014My predictions [in order of most likely to win]TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE

GRAVITYCAPTAIN PHILIPS

SAVING MR BANKSAMERICAN HUSTLE

THE BUTLERTHE WOLF OF WALL STREET

INSIDE LLYWEN DAVIES

PHILOMENA

Edited by IceAgeFilms

Current predictions:

12 Years

American Hustle

Book Thief

Captain Philips

Gravity

Inside Llewyn Davis

Philomena

Saving Mr. Banks

Wolf of Wall Street

10th film if there are 10....lets see....Nebraska 

I can imagine Furnace possibly being here, same with Prisoners and/or Blue Jasmine.

I saw Philomena last night, it's not happening.

If there were 5 noms-it be possible that Harvey miss out for the first time since 2006 (Almost said 2003-but The Queen despite being Miramax was apparently not done by him), but he wont let a film miss out.

Edit: And just cause you think it is not does not mean others think the same ;):lol:

2nd edit: oops 2007-I couldn't remember what studios did Clayton or There Will Be Blood.

Edited by Impact