riczhang

70th Golden Globes - Discussion Thread (Winners in 1st Post)

As for the directing Oscar, it's one of those weird year like 2000 (01?) where anyone could take it. I'm calling a zeitlin upset.

Really? Really?

I still support the theory that people accidentally voted for him instead of Affleck because of some technical mishap

Really? Really?

I still support the theory that people accidentally voted for him instead of Affleck because of some technical mishap

Yep. There's a reason he got in over Affleck and bigelow and it wasn't a technical mishap.

I doubt that. They may already be disposed to say awarding Lincoln, but they're not suddenly going to drop any previous affection for Argo. DGA history does indicate examples of contrary behavior to your claim.

This year proves what I claim. With no Guild nominees to act as the golden standard the Academy just went for what they liked for Director resulting in Zeitlin. Academy likes movies that they feel, but they like conforming to standards better. Now, that the BAFTA's just took huge gamble on Affleck and it fell flat, they'll all go and return and try to salvage their winners so that they can conform to the Academy Standard. No one wants to be the odd man out, they'll fall in line.

Yep. I think they wanna award someone new. Bigelow has hers, Affleck was gonna win everything else, lee and Spielberg have theirs. Russell will probably get his with a more solid drama. Zeitlin's the one that's left.

What is that reason?

Oscar voters hate critics, and then there were no real guild nominations to shoehorn and present the oscar voters a standard. So, they actually voted with their hearts this time instead of voting for what other people have voted for. These 5 nominees bar Spielberg (But, that is because the Academy protocol is "Spielberg first everyone else after") made the Academy feel. They made them feel and they awed them. ZDT, and Argo both lacked that depth to a certain degree in the minds of a 60 year old straight white male.

Yep. I think they wanna award someone new. Bigelow has hers, Affleck was gonna win everything else, lee and Spielberg have theirs. Russell will probably get his with a more solid drama. Zeitlin's the one that's left.

Haneke. If they're going to award someone it'll be Haneke a la Polanski in 2002. If he wins at BAFTA, he'll win Oscar. Same with Riva.

I think Argo and ZDT are both DOA. If we were limited to 5 BP nominees neither would've made it through. It is pretty clear that Academy went with The Beasts and Amour over those two and both these movies are the ones that academy voters like - movies with "heart" over cold procedural drama.

• Like 1

I think Argo and ZDT are both DOA. If we were limited to 5 BP nominees neither would've made it through. It is pretty clear that Academy went with The Beasts and Amour over those two and both these movies are the ones that academy voters like - movies with "heart" over cold procedural drama.

Argo would've made it in if there were five, for sure.

I think the Top 5 would've been Lincoln, SLP, Life of Pi, Amour, and either Les Mis or Argo. ADF has Argo. Edited by riczhang

Argo would've made it in if there were five, for sure.

I have my doubts. Argo didn't even come close to maximizing its awards nomination potential while the other two did. This is usually a good tell whether the acdemy members liked the movie or not.