CJohn

Ben-Hur | 8/19/16 | 7 minutes of Jack Reacher will play before the movie

On 8/24/2016 at 3:27 PM, dudalb said:

You could not get away with the "ecumenical" approach the 59  version did with today's Christian audiences .

I'm not sure what you mean.  Doesn't "ecumenical" mean something that applies/involves all Christian traditions?  What do today's Christian audiences demand from a movie, the perspective of a specific Christian tradition (e.g. Catholicism, Evangelicalism, etc.)?  Or do you mean "secular" or "agnostic" instead?

On 8/24/2016 at 3:27 PM, dudalb said:

The 1959 film is very vague on the divinity of Jesus, and very deliberately so.

But doesn't Balthasar at one point literally proclaim that Jesus is the "Son of God"?  That doesn't seem very vague to me.

34 minutes ago, Murgatroyd said:

That just means that one character thinks he's divine, not that he necessarily is.

I realize that characters and even the narrator at times can be unreliable (e.g. the Unreliable Narrator trope), but in this case a character, who is also kind of the narrator (same actor, I think), is never contradicted at any point.  The only one questioning what he says is the protagonist, Judah, who is wrong about a lot of things at that time.  Then at the end, Jesus dying on the cross, all the lightning in the sky, and his blood flowing across the land precisely coincide with the miraculous healing of Miriam and Tirzah of their leprosy.  Even if the 1959 movie isn't explicit and direct about Jesus' divinity (save for one character's words), the implication here sure still doesn't seem vague to me.  And because those words were never contradicted or even left high and dry--in fact, they were supported later on while Judah's doubt was contradicted--perhaps they are to be taken at face value in regard to the movie's message (i.e. the audience learning a lesson through the protagonist's learning).

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

On September 9, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Melvin Frohike said:

I realize that characters and even the narrator at times can be unreliable (e.g. the Unreliable Narrator trope), but in this case a character, who is also kind of the narrator (same actor, I think), is never contradicted at any point.  The only one questioning what he says is the protagonist, Judah, who is wrong about a lot of things at that time.  Then at the end, Jesus dying on the cross, all the lightning in the sky, and his blood flowing across the land precisely coincide with the miraculous healing of Miriam and Tirzah of their leprosy.  Even if the 1959 movie isn't explicit and direct about Jesus' divinity (save for one character's words), the implication here sure still doesn't seem vague to me.  And because those words were never contradicted or even left high and dry--in fact, they were supported later on while Judah's doubt was contradicted--perhaps they are to be taken at face value in regard to the movie's message (i.e. the audience learning a lesson through the protagonist's learning).

Fair enough. I watched the movie once, over half a lifetime ago, so my memory of it is far from perfect.