Jack Nevada

NAACP Image Awards- Red Tails wins Best Picture

Posted Image

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has given out its movie awards on february 1st, and the winners were

Best Motion Picture
"Red Tails"

Best Actor in a Motion Picture
Denzel Washington, "Flight"

Best Actress in a Motion Picture
Viola Davis, "Won't Back Down"

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Samuel L. Jackson, "Django Unchained"

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Kerry Washington, "Django Unchained"

Writing in a Motion Picture (Theatrical or Television)
"Abducted: The Carlina White Story"

Best Independent Motion Picture 
"Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Best International Motion Picture
"The Intouchables"

Best Documentary (Theatrical or Television)
"On the Shoulders of Giants: The Story of the Greatest Team You've Never Heard Of"

I'm certainly glad that Samuel L. Jackson finally got an award of some kind for his outrageously funny performance in Django Unchained, but there are a few weird choices in the winners. The biggest one is probably the George Lucas produced Red Tails winning best picture, as it wasn't very well received by critics nor by the audiences (it made only 49M). The other nominees in the category were Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Flight and Good Deeds by Tyler Perry. 

So how did Red Tails win the main prize? I suppose the controversy around Django's excessive use fo the word n*gger must have had something to do with it not winning, but how did they consider Red Tails better than Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Another odd choice imo is giving Kerry Washington an award for Django. Tarantino barely gave her any dialogue or character, and her character was awfully underwritten. Other nominees in the supporting actress category were

Amandla Stenberg - "The Hunger Games" (Lionsgate)

Gloria Reuben - "Lincoln" (The Walt Disney Studios)
Kerry Washington - "Django Unchained" (The Weinstein Company)
Phylicia Rashad - "Tyler Perry's Good Deeds" (Lionsgate)
Taraji P. Henson - "Think Like a Man" (Screen Gems)

The supporting actor category was much stronger

Supporting Actor in a Motion PictureDavid Oyelowo - "Middle of Nowhere" (AFFRM)Don Cheadle - "Flight" (Paramount Pictures)Dwight Henry - "Beasts of the Southern Wild" (Fox Searchlight Pictures)Lenny Kravitz - "The Hunger Games" (Lionsgate)Samuel L. Jackson - "Django Unchained" (The Weinstein Company)

But is it better than Django, Flight or Beasts?

Might be better than Beasts (because Beasts isn't what it's hyped to be). And in terms of NAACP Image it's hard to be more optimistic about Black advancement than showing black WW2 fighter pilots succeed in overcoming adversity.

Edited by 4815162342

red tails? the movie wasnt exactly thrilling stuff, flight was better and i haven't seen the others you mentionned!

i like taraji p henson in "think like a man" but haven' t seen kerry washington in django yet

i'd love to see tom hanks tackled blacks in world war II  with the same production value he brought to band of brothers and the pacific 

It seems like Kerry Washington won because that category in general was slim pickings. I'd have given her the award as well.

Yeah I was about to question her win but when you look at the category, it makes sense. I understand the need to recognize work by black actors since the Academy so seldom does, but every year the NAACP has to stoop so low to do it. That teachers union movie that Davis won for is one of the biggest turkeys of the year. Edited by Silver Linings aDIM