baumer

A Clockwork Orange

18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Others will say 2001 but I've always found this to be Kubrick's most immaculately directed flick. Everything about it just comes together perfectly for me and there's never a dull moment. Malcolm McDowell gives the best performance that Kubrick ever directed as well.

This delicate French-language animated film about the forbidden love between an elderly Swiss cuckoo-clock and a young, zesty Clementine orange is perhaps the very definition of a snotty, snobby art-house movie, but none the less affecting for all that. Oh, and the monkey sidekick was pretty darn funny too.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

^^ Very nice.  You're on a roll today, dude.  Might want to back off on the shrooms for a little while though.

As to the movie...  That is one seriously uncomfortable and whacked bit of filmmaking.  Friend of mine once called it "Impressively cringeworthy" and that about sums it up for me.

A-

• Like 1

I fundamentally disagree with what it is saying, especially how we get there, but I can't help myself but feel more or less engrossed through the whole thing.  I blame Mcdowell performance and Kubrick direction for that.

Anyway,  is it me or did the characters mostly behave like they were in a 40's film?

Paths of Glory 95/100
The Shining 80/100
The Killing 80/100
Killer's Kiss 65/100
Spartacus 60/100
Dr. Strangelove 55/100
A Clockwork Orange 55/100
Fear and Desire 35/100
Lolita 25/100
2001: A Space Odyssey 10/100

Edited by Goffe