Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

60 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's a bit rough around the edges, you can feel it's Disneyfied at certain parts, but I love the overall tone and the cast display impressive and likeable performances, except for the two leads, which are still fine, just not as good as everyone else. Also, visually speaking, for a movie with such extensive use of CGI, it has aged superbly. 

Verbinski sure knows how to end his movies. 

75/100

Edited by Goffe

I remember the first I saw it on the big screen. What an amazing experience it was. Repeat viewings and a few sequels later, it looks repetitive but important to remember this was the first one. A-

( DMC A, imo a perfect summer movie ;  AWE B, can't believe they made it 20 min longer than DMC. If it was cut short to a 2.5 hour movie I would have gone for B+. also dead kraken...kraken scenes in DMC were jsut smth else)

Edited by a2knet

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl must've shocked audiences when it was first released. An outrageously entertaining blockbuster with a setting no others truly touch, it stands out thanks to the tight script and memorable characters. Verbinski stages every action scene with clever jokes and fantastically creative choreography. The iconic score gives it a timeless feel that will make it stand up with the best blockbusters ever. Only a somewhat overlong climax and a waste of Zoe Saldana prevent the film from being perfect. However, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl deserves only praise for the sheer entertainment value it brings, as the greatly enjoyable introduction to the defining original franchise* of the 2000s. A-

*Yes, I'm aware it's based off a ride, but the adaptation elements are barely present. Besides, that really doesn't count compared to superheroes or book series.

• Like 2

Word of Mouth on this film was off the charts in the summer of 2003. Still remember the audience reactions when I saw it in the theater. The humor, the swordfights, the music, the tropical settings, the great acting (Depp/Rush), the memorable characters...it's a perfect summer blockbuster.

• Like 1