Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

60 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I actually found this movie to be very fun until I found out it was produced by that shithead republican Jerry Bruckheimer.D-

Are you kidding me? You are giving a movie that you like a D because who the producer is?????????? Wow. Just, wow.
  • Like 3

Easily the best pirates film and the only one i'd consider a really top tier film. Dead Man's Chest is underrated imo as well though.

DMC is just underrated on internet forums, it has a great RT audience score, good IMDB score, and sold millions of DVDs. At World's End is also being better received now, with a decent RT audience and IMDB score.

One of the best character driven big blockbuster I have seen in the 2000s. Captain Sparrow was running this show and it was one helluva entertaining show to sit through and I love DMC as much as I love this one. DMC is very underrated summer blockbuster that people have misunderstood. 

+A

From the moment I first heard this was in the works, I was absolutely convinced that a movie based on a Disneyland ride was the worst idea ever and that this was going to be a complete bomb - especially after the abomination unto mankind that was The Country Bears (This is NOT OVAH! BEAHHHHS!)Basically, I thought it was going to be Battleship 10 years before Battleship. The teaser attached to The Two Towers didn't help - I can't say for certain, but I seem to recall groaning out loud.Throughout the first half of 2003, I gave this movie absolutely no thought. Then something amazing happened - my brother had seen it with his friends, and they were talking about how GOOD the movie was. I couldn't believe it - I had to see this for myself. And I was floored. This movie was GREAT! A movie based on a Disney theme park ride, and it was one of the best movies of the summer? Everyone played to their strengths - Depp was hilarious, Rush was badass, Knightley was everything Padmé SHOULD have been, and I was convinced Bloom should be in a remake of Robin Hood or The Three Musketeers (yeah, THAT turned out well). It ended on a perfect note - Will gets the girl, Jack gets away - but I wanted to see more adventures with them. More banter, more chemistry, more swashbuckling. I was psyched for the sequels....and then the sequels actually CAME. (I liked DMC originally, but I left AWE in a state of bewilderment, and I eventually re-evaluated DMC as being an uneven, flabby mess with some cool stuff like Davy Jones and the Kraken mixed in.)I still feel this is the franchise with the most wasted potential - it could have been a series of tightly plotted Saturday matinee adventures, another Star Wars or Indiana Jones, but they went TOO epic for their own good (kind of like another pair of back-to-back sequels which ironically came out the same year as the first Pirates) and they suffered for it. And while I thought MAYBE On Stranger Tides would be a return to form, all I've heard about it indicates that no, it wasn't.But Curse of the Black Pearl was a breath of fresh air, it was a complete surprise for me, it was one of the few movies where WOM caused me to give something a chance and it completely changed my mind, and I believe the world is better for it, even if the sequels were a mess.A-

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3