The Movie Man

Today's Best Action Stars? Male and Female, Rank Them.

The Rock and Jennifer Lawrence

I like JENNIFER Lawrence but it is almost like when I saw the trailer for Underworld with Kate Beckinsale. I was like come on, who will they pick next. So for me, I am ok with JL doing comedy or drama. But I don't think of her as an action star yet.. Edited by FYI NAMING RIGHTS PENDING

Although many cross different genres...

Tom Cruise

Daniel Craig

Denzel Washington

Liam Neeson

Robert Downey Jr.

Will Smith

Chris Hemsworth

Dwayne Johnson

Angelina Jolie

Milla Jovovich

Jennifer Lawrence

Kate Beckinsale

Mary Elizabeth Winstead 

The all-time female action heroes: Sigourney Weaver & Linda Hamilton

Edited by Clavius

If Lawrence is an action star then so are the likes of Scarlett Johansson and Anne Hathaway. Also, pretty much every actor in POTC, Super Hero movies etc. is also an action star. I don't think such a list will be of any value if you start including 80% of all active actors in the legitimate action star category.

Legitimate Female Action Stars

Angelina Jolie

Milla Jovovich

Kate Beckinsale

Lucy Liu

There are others like Gina Carano who may develop into legit stars but they are not there.

Legit Male Action Stars

The Expendables cast

The Rock

Vin Diesel

Jason Statham

South-East Asian Stars like Jet Li and Jacki Chan

Although many cross different genres...Tom CruiseDaniel CraigDenzel WashingtonLiam NeesonRobert Downey Jr.Will SmithChris HemsworthDwayne JohnsonAngelina JolieMilla JovovichJennifer LawrenceKate BeckinsaleMary Elizabeth Winstead The all-time female action heroes: Sigourney Weaver & Linda Hamilton

Think Jolie and Milla should be up for All Time Females. Especially since Hamilton and Weaver really only have 1 big Action Franchise each.
  • Like 1

I can't believe people mention Beckinsale, Hathaway (Lulwut) and Winstead (?!) but not Michelle Rodriguez, I mean she's only typecasted for being a tough and buff girl. I guess the fact that she died in every single movie at one point robbed her of a spot...

Edited by dashrendar44

Someone mentioned mary elisabeth winstead so its my list my opinion. Id also like to mention Saoirse Ronan cause she kicked ass in Hanna

That's fine, I'm just saying your opinion is wrong :). Only messin, though seriously she didn't exactly do a lot in xmen and she wasn't exactly tough in THG, she could just fire a bow and arrow. Then again she's still young and could be whoever she wants.Hanna though is one badass mother fucker.

Action star is someone who makes career in action. They may crossover to other genres occasionally but action is their primary domain and that is where they draw the audience. Therefore, all real action stars are men. Jolie isn`t an action star because action isn`t her primary domain (she crosses over a lot) while Jovovich and Beckinsale can`t open outside of RE and UW. They are action actresses but not stars since their opening power is slim to none.

Edited by fishnets

Think Jolie and Milla should be up for All Time Females. Especially since Hamilton and Weaver really only have 1 big Action Franchise each.

Agree. I think it's bullshit that Hamilton especilly gets credited as the ultimate female action star when she only has one action credit to her name (a huge one, but one nonetheless).

Jolie has had five big action hits to her name across 4 different properties. Salt (and to an extent Wanted) was sold on her "action star" persona alone.

That's fine, I'm just saying your opinion is wrong :). Only messin, though seriously she didn't exactly do a lot in xmen and she wasn't exactly tough in THG, she could just fire a bow and arrow. Then again she's still young and could be whoever she wants.Hanna though is one badass mother fucker.

I loved Hanna. Ronan kicked ass in it too.

• Like 2