whoot

What was the movie that kept you hooked on animated movies..?

...because we all know as kids, that's how we get introduced to movies.  At some point, we stop liking "cartoons" and graduate to live action only, but maybe later when we have our own families we realize some animated films are great...  Or we are just animated film geeks who got hooked to Miyazaki/Anime/Pixar and it was this one movie that started your 2nd animation appreciation.

For me, I guess I never really stopped liking animated films due to them not being cool to watch anymore.  Got hooked in the 90s Disney 2nd golden age starting with the Little Mermaid, and never really stopped liking them, even when my friends thought they were getting too old for cartoons.  I remember taking a girlfriend to see Emperor's New Groove.  

And the movie that got me hooked on Pixar was Finding Nemo.

I stopped becoming a DWA doubter and started becoming a believer with HTTYD.

• Founder / Operator

Definitely the first two Toy Story flicks. I'm not even sure that I remember seeing Lion King in theaters -- by that point, I was more into live action stuff. But my love of animation was reborn in 1995...and again in 1999...and again in 2002 (Monsters, Inc.)... and again in 2004 (Incredibles).

;)

Nice topic. I am one of those people who distanced myself from animated films as a teenager, growing up during the 90's.

I guess you could say they were "uncool" in the sense that my friends would probably have made fun of me for watching them... but truthfully they just weren't really on my radar. I think people at that age tend get focused on grown up things, as you said. My friends at the time were all into live action/shoot-em-up/comedy films, so that's basically what we watched. Animated films were never discussed.

I remember in 2001 when Shrek was released, suddenly animated films were hip with teenagers again. I thought it was just an OK film. Later, I saw and Monsters Inc., then Ice Age in theaters.... but I'd say Lilo & Stitch is the film that really got me hooked on animation again. Ebert gave Lilo & Stitch such a glowing review that I actually went to see it alone.

Definitely the first two Toy Story flicks. I'm not even sure that I remember seeing Lion King in theaters -- by that point, I was more into live action stuff. But my love of animation was reborn in 1995...and again in 1999...and again in 2002 (Monsters, Inc.)... and again in 2004 (Incredibles).;)

Above plus Aladdin with Robin Williams and Beauty and the Beast. Covering the 1980/1990/2000s

I will say the first animated movie I remember seeing in theaters was a re-release of Robin Hood. Animated films were pretty scarce back then. But I also remembered going to see Fox and the Hound and Black Cauldron. And in it's last ever theatrical run, Song of the South.

I will say the first animated movie I remember seeing in theaters was a re-release of Robin Hood. Animated films were pretty scarce back then. But I also remembered going to see Fox and the Hound and Black Cauldron. And in it's last ever theatrical run, Song of the South.

Wow. That sounds like a long time ago. FYI. Dumbo and Bambi are two that sound familiar that I vaguely remember.

A old Chinese animation flick "Monkey King Conquers Evil". Unlike most of the earlier Chinese animations, this film wasn't just fun. It actually got some well-organized drama.

And of cause, none of you have seen it or even heard of it, I know. :P

Edited by vc2002

While I have to say I never stopped loving animation of all kinds, and still do so, there were films which were able to expand my opinion about what animation films can be. "The Dark Crystal" and "Akira" were maybe the two most important of them; I'd also mention "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", "Heavy Metal" (I was very much into french comics) and "Fritz the Cat". But Dark Crystal and Akira stand out, not least thanks to the love of detail and, simply, the sheer amount of work that went into them.

I don't think there was ever really a point where I had distanced myself from all animated movies. I was 7 when Toy Story came out and Pixar is probably what kept me watching them into adolescence and adulthood.

I think this will be true of most people around your age or younger. Toy story was the beginning of American Animation aimed to please not just child but the adult accompanying them.As long as Pixar, Dreamworks and the revitalised Disney continue as they have since Toy Story, Shrek and Tangled respectively, I think that this question is going to become obsolete when addressed to people born post-1988 or so.

For me, I abandoned animation after Aladdin/Lion King and despite of course liking Toy Story, I think it was Shrek/Toy Story2 and Shrek 2 which truly brought me back into taking animations seriously as a viewing option again.

Asterix and Cleopatra(1969) - French animation about a clever Gallian and his bulky friend Obelix visiting Cleopatra in Egypt to help her against Ceasar.The first Hollywood animation I remember is Pinocchio, from a Comics drawn after the movie. Then I read the book from Collodi. Years later I saw the movie.

Edited by Rudolf

Pinocchio was actually my very first cinematic experience ... my father took me when I was, I think, 4 or 5, and i was scared to death during many scenes. Very memorable experience, much more so than my 2nd film which was "The Living Desert". It is in fact a pretty dark film, measured by later Disney standards!