When you read the reviews, you get the impression that they desperately wanted to like it, but could not.

I get the exact opposite impression, that they were determined to find fault with the movie if it wasn't a masterpiece.

Considering that JC movies make much more than Pixar movies, double, tripple as much, i`d say all those people who didn`t turn Pixar shit into Camerons aren`t fans.

The difference between Pixar and a JC movie (Titanic and Avatar, which is really only two movies) is people actually like pixar movies as much as they did when it was released.

I get the exact opposite impression, that they were determined to find fault with the movie if it wasn't a masterpiece.

interesting

for me it always sounds like .... how can I dislike a Pixar movie, especially one with a heroine for the first time in history, that would be totally incorrect, but ......

Come on, he was brought on in Fall 2010. Like anyone had any idea how John Carter was going to perform at that time.

Performance isn't what we are talking about here. You can't tell me no one knew that John Carter wasn't working out and I bet there are people within Pixar who probably thought the same thing. What someone here said, this movie just needed a bit more time to make it perfect. I'll never agree to the idea off pulling the person who originally came up with the idea. I think what you do is bring people on board to help her out.

Edited by iEye

If this movie does end up to be widely disliked, I can't help but think back 2 years ago when I remember seeing a few people elsewhere on the internet debating about how Toy Story 3 was symbolic in the "ending to what we know as Pixar" just as the movie represented the ending of the toys way of life. I wonder... :P

But anyway, I'm really, really, really shocked by this. I didn't expect this movie to get anywhere close to 64% on RT, let alone with a decent chance of getting lower. It sounds a lot more like mixed opinions than just flat out negative ones though, and also a lot of the "bad for Pixar" talk most reviews mention do really unfairly put the movie down, especially since it is completely newblood doing it. I am getting a bit worried though, and I really hope we aren't about to enter a Dark Ages for Pixar...

Please save us, Pete Doctor and Bob Peterson!

Even if it was because of "political bullshit", they brought in a guy who was just as inexperienced as she was to take over. And another inexperienced filmmaker was brought on as co-director.

I wouldn't call Brenda Chapman inexperienced at all. If they were just going to flounder around for the story, Lasseter should have kept her in charge of her own movie. And in fact, after Cars 2, should Lasseter even have that much clout over story issues nowadays?

Edit: nothing against Mark Andrews directing, I think that it's important for new artists to direct... I just think this is more a management issue than anything.

Edited by whoot

I wouldn't call Brenda Chapman inexperienced at all. If they were just going to flounder around for the story, Lasseter should have kept her in charge of her own movie. And in fact, after Cars 2, should Lasseter even have that much clout over story issues nowadays?

You know what I mean. She hadn't done any solo directing yet. And neither had Mark Andrews. Of course you need some experience in other areas before you're given a full-fledged directing gig (which Andrews did have, as well)

Plus he was brought on before Cars 2 was released. Obviously that wasn't a liability on Lasseter's part yet.

Edited by tribefan695

I am much older than a boy and I would condemn boys for not wanting to see a girl as the hero, but if they can make a case that Merida acts like an annoying sister always quarreling with mom, I can make ammends for that. Such a word of mouth would kill Brave's BO chances far more than not being a masterpiece.

You know what I mean. She hadn't done any solo directing yet. And neither had Mark Andrews. Of course you need some experience in other areas before you're given a full-fledged directing gig (which Andrews did have, as well)

Plus he was brought on before Cars 2 was released. Obviously that wasn't a liability on Lasseter's part yet.

Chapman was a longtime member of the brain trust though, and was an important player in Lion King, co-directed Prince of Egypt... I think she deserved a bit more slack than she got.

Again, nothing against Andrews. I actually want to see him direct his own film, something he developed from the start. Dude is a Brad Bird disciple I believe. I don't fault him.

Lasseter needs a vacation IMO.

Edited by whoot

He's still doing pretty well with Disney Animation, to be fair. Think too much of his focus has drifted over there?

That too. Actually Lasseter's struck me more as an inspirational manager than an actual story writer who does the heavy lifting; probably why WDAS is faring much better than Pixar nowadays? They're inspired while Pixar just gets Lasseter's story notes?

Chris Sanders, Dean Deblois, and now Glen Keane were all lost on Lasseter's watch though... Not really a good thing, but given the studio's latest output, forgivable...