Not really. Of the past year Pirates and Sherlock Holmes are the only real "period pieces" that were big hits, and they take place in the 18th and 19th centuries respectively.

And they started planning this back in 2007. They had no idea what the market was going to be like at the time of its release.

in terms of animation, there are plenty of movies themed in the middle ages. this maybe a specific period piece but it still looks similar to Shrek and HTTYD

Edited by GiantCALBears

How to Train Your Dragon came out in 2010, three years after production on this began. And Brave doesn't have the jokey, self-aware tone that Shrek had. It's trying to tell a real, dramatic story of a mother/daughter relationship, granted the advertising may not have reflected that so far.

Edited by tribefan695

in terms of animation, there are plenty of movies themed in the middle ages. this maybe a specific period piece but it still looks similar to Shrek and HTTYD

And both of them shit all over Cars 2. They're Dreamworks best films too IMO, so what's so bad if this looks like them? There might have been other animated movies set in the middle ages, but the storyline is completely different to both of those movies.

How to Train Your Dragon came out in 2010, three years after production on this began. And Brave doesn't have the jokey, self-aware tone than Shrek had. It's trying to tell a real, dramatic story of a mother/daughter relationship, granted the advertising may not have reflected that so far.

your last part is key, look I am a huge and I mean huge Pixar fan, but the ads are doing nothing for this so far but we'll see what happens as we get closer to release

A Bug's Life is nowhere near the offender Cars 2 was. I seem to remember when it originally came out it was hailed as a masterpiece just like Toy Story was, and it's still got a 92%/7.9 on RT. It's only evolved as the "second-worst" because people got tired of always saying Cars.

And als because it's wedged in between two Toy Story films that it's been largely forgotten.

I'm starting to honestly believe Pixar has peaked, Cars 2 now this. I mean nothing even close to movies like WallE UP

How do you know the movie won't be great like Wall-E or UP? From the ads and the trailers, it looks like Pixar has done it again. This looks like a timeless tale that both adults and children will adore and the only thing that separates it from other Pixar films is the female lead. I don't think Pixar has peaked at all.

How do you know the movie won't be great like Wall-E or UP? From the ads and the trailers, it looks like Pixar has done it again. This looks like a timeless tale that both adults and children will adore and the only thing that separates it from other Pixar films is the female lead. I don't think Pixar has peaked at all.

GiantCALBears is clearly having problems with liking a film with a female lead like many on this site.

If the Lorax could make $210m with shoddy WOM, why can't the newest original flick from Pixar with great WOM do $300m?

My prediction is about $285m but yeah.

The young male audience could be a bit of a problem for it. Still not sure if this will appeal to them, and it won't be hitting $300m if it doesn't. Still I have it at $270m in the game so I'm confident it will have great WOM. Merida's tomboy-ish nature and the archery and adventure should hopefully combat the female lead stigma for boys.

I hate little boys. Hopefully all the pro-gay stuff Obama is doing will finally lead the country, so insecure about sexuality, to a more accepting and open landscape.

I mean, girls go see boy movies all the time and yet all these twerps can't go see a Pixar movie? :rolleyes:

Well Tangled made $200m, so this should hopefully do better with Pixar, perhaps back to its best.

I haven't seen any other trailers and such, so I'm speaking of blind faith and just stills and buzz, but yeah, they only made one blip and was probably forced on them.

I saw all Pixar Movies in theatre except Cars2.

Brave seems very interesting with a honest/touching/quiet tone.

Don't know why but reminded me a bit Spirit: stallion of Cimmaron (how beautiful this one was).

220-225M

Are american people really bothered with "english" accent?

I mean, despite the tone, the vocabulary is quite the same, isn't it?

Are american people really bothered with "english" accent?

I mean, despite the tone, the vocabulary is quite the same, isn't it?

You mean the Scottish accent? ;) I haven't heard that as a negative, but never know, people can be affected by little things