42 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Crap, pure crap.

A completely directionless script that has no idea what to do with its villains, badly executed cliches, flat acting, terrible use of "humor"  a beyond ridiculous Deux es Machina that creates a ton of plot holes and leaps of logic, bland action, useless side characters, and endless annoying banter trying to pass itself off as "witty".

* out of *****, and that's being generous.

A bit weaker for me than the first IM. While I understand the direction they took, there were some bumps which keep this from being as enjoyable as IM1. The main fault is, I think, that the story branches out far too much. Don't get me wrong, Mickey Rourke does a good job, but the gist of the story is: IronMan vs. MilitaryIndustry. And then we have Ivan Vanko built up as an antagonist. That he ends up playing Hammer Industry does nothing here, the real villain should be the industry itself. I believe, Tony Stark "fighting" against an anonymous military/industrial bureaucracy would have been much more dangerous than just one madman. Then we have the quite superfluous S.H.I.E.L.D. sequences which frankly don't help the story a bit, even if they help set up "Avengers" and I don't mind watching Scarlett Johansson in leather, but these parts really distract from the main story. And finally, Gwyneth Paltrow who gave a heart to IM1 is criminally underused here.

Edited by IndustriousAngel

Here's what I like about the movie, the references to Howard Stark as sort of a Walt Disney type even down to the 1964 World's Fair homage with Stark Expo 74 complete with a Richard Sherman song.The rest I find pretty boring. C

The movie has its moments. I love how they handle the issue between Tony and his dad. Him watching the recorded video from Howard is one of those great character moments of Tony Stark that Marvel succeed in showing throughout the trilogy.I also like Sam Rockwell, he portrayed the sleaziness, underhandedness, despicable side of Hammer well. I would love to see him return if there ever is another Iron Man movie.What I don't like is characterizations of some characters or the lack there of. Black Widow is one, she kicks ass, she's tough, she's a SHIELD agent, but there's not much more offered about her personality or character. I adore the Tony/Pepper dynamics in IM1, but their relationship in this one annoyed me. I just don't like how they handle the transition to one of romantic nature.Plot wise, the movie tried to accomplish too much that it ended up falling short of things.Overall, it's an okay movie. I don't loathe it, but I'm not crazy about it either. C/C+

• Like 4

The movie has its moments. I love how they handle the issue between Tony and his dad. Him watching the recorded video from Howard is one of those great character moments of Tony Stark that Marvel succeed in showing throughout the trilogy.

I also like Sam Rockwell, he portrayed the sleaziness, underhandedness, despicable side of Hammer well. I would love to see him return if there ever is another Iron Man movie.

What I don't like is characterizations of some characters or the lack there of. Black Widow is one, she kicks ass, she's tough, she's a SHIELD agent, but there's not much more offered about her personality or character.

I adore the Tony/Pepper dynamics in IM1, but their relationship in this one annoyed me. I just don't like how they handle the transition to one of romantic nature.

Plot wise, the movie tried to accomplish too much that it ended up falling short of things.

Overall, it's an okay movie. I don't loathe it, but I'm not crazy about it either.

C/C+

Stole the words out of my mouth so all I got is this useless (or is it?) gif to add.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Stole the words out of my mouth so all I got is this useless (or is it?) gif to add.

Posted Image

The man got some serious dancing talent. He's awesome.

Have you watched his appearance on Jimmy Fallon last month? He was there to promote The Way, Way Back. He did some improv dances with Jimmy, they were hilarious.