8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I really enjoyed this. It's very atmospheric, yet didn't fall into the trap these type of movies usually do. I did also get a drive feel, but this is original at the same time. Kind of what I've been waiting for from this genre.B+/A-

Heres somethingawful's review(love these guys and their strictly moderated forums)

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/oz-great-powerful.php?page=2

Direction 8/10

Noomi Rapace 15/10

Armand Assante Is slowly transforming into a turtle. (2/10)

Plot Development 3/10

Why Do So Many Revenge Thrillers... Degenerate into Punisher knock-offs these days? (1/10)

Overall 29/50

I pretty much agree.  Its a decent movie elevated almost entirely by the cast and the direction.  Also, its a visually impressive movie.

I'd give it 7.5

Edited by Shpongle

Yeah, I.. didn't like it. Aside from some good (and much too infrequent) action beats in the middle and the end, the convoluted, tiresome, predictable plot and some really insipid dialogue sort of kill this one. A shame that every interesting moment or shot was in the trailer, too. 

Yeah, I.. didn't like it. Aside from some good (and much too infrequent) action beats in the middle and the end, the convoluted, tiresome, predictable plot and some really insipid dialogue sort of kill this one. A shame that every interesting moment or shot was in the trailer, too. 

:(

I could barely stay awake in the second act. It's one of those "characters are waiting around for the sequence of events that bring us the finale' scripts, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. 

Seriously, the tone of this movie is so dour and serious for such a ridiculous story. 

Movie was better than I expected it to be. Had no problems with absolute nothing but the final act when we find out that Rapace had to fuck his plan up. Overall, a decent thriller.

7.5/10

I don't think Drive's the right comparison for this aside from the stylized violent finale. The vast majority of the film is more like a potboiling late 60s, early 70's crime drama like Point Blank, Get Carter, or Serpico (whereas Drive is its own stylish creature throughout).

I don't get how it got a poor reaction from critics (or from a couple people here) cause I really dug this.

The plot's not convoluted at all, don't get that complaint.

I noticed this was on Blu-ray at Wallmart yesterday when I was buying some groceries, I'll probably pick this up next time.  I remember mostly enjoying it at the theater and maybe I'll like it even more this time.

Why the hell is this movie so damn somber in tone?

Revenge films are generally pretty trashy in general, so I suppose it's different in that respect.  However, there is not an ounce of fun or entertainment to be had in this film.  A deep meditation on revenge would have been one thing, but this movie was centered around a revenge motive through and through, not much depth went into the repercussions of vigilante justice.  As a result, the  mood and atmosphere of the movie was just weird.  

It's an interesting case in that nothing is really bad about it.  But it's way too damn serious for its own good, and it a hell of a lot more fun to review than watch.

C+/C