Rocky V  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Stallone thought he had it all figured out. His films were failing at the box office so he would go back to his bread and butter and write a sequel where he becomes Rocky from 1976. He makes Rocky old and fragile. He makes him broke. He sends him back to the streets of Philadelphia. He gives him the same clothes and even gives him his hat back. The fans should love this.What a stupid idea!The problem with that notion is that Rocky grew into what he was. He started out with humble beginnings and he worked his way up into super-stardom. He got in better shape, he increased his wealth, he became the world champ. You can't take all that back and have Rocky go back to what he once was. It just doesn't work. I want to see him in the ring and fight. I want to see him take on all the larger than life people with eccentric personalities like Mr. T and Dolph. But instead we have a squalid Rocky, an impoverished one that is merely a pastiche of what he once was. And that just doesn't work. Once you build a character from scratch and make him larger that life, you cannot regress him and then have him fight in the streets. He has to be in the ring. He just has to be.I love the Rocky films. They were inspirational and they were fun. But this is a weak effort and it did not have his true fans in mind when he made this mess!4 out of 10

• Like 1

Stallone thought he had it all figured out. His films were failing at the box office so he would go back to his bread and butter and write a sequel where he becomes Rocky from 1976. He makes Rocky old and fragile. He makes him broke. He sends him back to the streets of Philadelphia. He gives him the same clothes and even gives him his hat back. The fans should love this.What a stupid idea!The problem with that notion is that Rocky grew into what he was. He started out with humble beginnings and he worked his way up into super-stardom. He got in better shape, he increased his wealth, he became the world champ. You can't take all that back and have Rocky go back to what he once was. It just doesn't work. I want to see him in the ring and fight. I want to see him take on all the larger than life people with eccentric personalities like Mr. T and Dolph. But instead we have a squalid Rocky, an impoverished one that is merely a pastiche of what he once was. And that just doesn't work. Once you build a character from scratch and make him larger that life, you cannot regress him and then have him fight in the streets. He has to be in the ring. He just has to be.

Personally, I do not like the movie Rocky V. But, the idea of a multi-million dollar athlete being forced to retire due to injuries, and going broke due to excess spending and bad investments isn't too far fetched. I mean look at all the real life ex-athletes who went bankrupt after retirement.

• Like 1

It's the only sequel that actually moves Rocky's story forward, the only one that something happens and it is not entirely obvious and formulaic. This should have been the second movie or a final movie in the trilogy.

I though it was comfortably the second best film in the franchise right up until the ending, which was pretty epic and unexpected, and made me put it above the original Rocky.

They could have trimmed the neglected son subplot a little bit.

And of course, this is the one people had to hate.

80/100

Edited by Goffe

Rocky V is the total opposite of its predecessor, while still managing to be mediocre. Most of the camp is gone, replaced with melodrama and a Rocky Jr. that's oddly five years older despite the film taking place a week after the previous film. There's not much to say about this one; the soundtrack is odd, and the focus on the son takes away from what could be an intriguing plot. Stallone still does a good job acting (probably because he wasn't distracted with directing), but there's a peculiar retcon that involves the return of Burgess Meredith that isn't worth the payoff it gets. There's tons of running jokes that don't work too. However, that end street fight is super fun and one of the best fight scenes in the franchise, and Richard Gant is gloriously funny. Rocky V is mediocre, and is the least likely movie in this franchise I'd return to, despite being better than its predecessor. D+