Apocalypse Now  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

well i had two discs that divided the film into two bits...i clicked on the original version each time but somehow i managed to end up watching the redux, which would explain the 200 minute thing. on balance it looks as though there were some good additions and some bad ones - all the extra surfing stuff was silly and the plantation scene could have been executed much better, but everything else was good. it seems as though it is deeper and more political in the extended version. so aside from a couple of iffy additions, this was pretty much a masterpiece. way more surreal than i was expecting.

A

Quote from Colonel Walter E. Kurtz.

I've seen horrors … horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that … but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face … and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us, and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember … I … I … I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized … like I was shot … like I was shot with a diamond … a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God … the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men … trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love … but they had the strength … the strength … to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, then our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral … and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling … without passion … without judgment … without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

• Like 3

I feel heretical for not linking the film. 

It's visually spectacular, the scope is huge, but it lacks focus (not surprising given that it was written as they went along) and the last 30 minutes are excruciatingly frustrating given the talent involved and Coppola's on point direction. The water buffalo scene was of extremely bad taste.

It would be a fine movie with the potential to grow on me after a few rewatches if its last 30 minutes didn't suck so hard. -50/100