Impact

Visual Effects-2013

From early reviews it sounds like the Hobbit may end up locked for second place (maybe Pacific Rim can sneak past it into second, but I doubt it), and then it's between Elysium, Iron Man 3, and STiD for 4th and 5th place.

I don't see Oblivion, World War Z, Thor, or Man of Steel getting the nod.

Does anyone here  know whether it is easier or cheaper to make effects with a desaturated color palette than with a saturated color palette? Just asking as the number of big effects movies with desaturated colors >> number of big effects movies with saturated and bright colors.

I don't think it's "cheaper" but colors add lot of information to render just for texture work, to get the hue/saturation right whereas desaturation mutes the chromatic range so nothing is vivid going from bright blue to vivid red.

I'd say it's more of a safe artistic choice because face it, desaturation is synonymous with "ultra-realism" in movies since Saving Private Ryan. So when a movie comes up with bright effects, people deem it not realistic, outlandish or cartoonish because for them realism should be rendered in grey.(blue-ish grey, brown-ish grey, yellow-ish grey and so on). It's more of a perception of what reality is and how it should be replicated on a picture.

This article is interesting on the subject.

Edited by dashrendar44

12th annual VES Awards

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Feature Motion Picture
“Gravity”: 
Tim WebberNikki PennyChris LawrenceRichard Mcbride
“Iron Man 3”: Christopher TownsendMark SoperGuy WilliamsBryan Grill
“Pacific Rim”: John KnollSusan GreenhowChris RaimoHal Hickel
“Star Trek: Into Darkness”: Roger GuyettLuke O’ByrneRon AmesBen Grossman
“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”: Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, Kevin Sherwood, David Clayton