43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Finding Nemo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Favorite Pixar offering thus far.

I can't begin a review with this film and not mention the animation design and complementing world on display here.  Simply a fantastic world to take in as a viewer.  The world here is at times colorful, dark, menacing, and inviting, but most importantly it's always magical as fuck.  Most importantly the ocean is used in a way that brings out the themes and trials of the characters here.  Of course, you wouldn't expect anything else from Pixar.

I can imagine that this is one of those films that is loved by parents and children alike.  In fact, despite having no kids of my own it is quite obvious that a parent would likely find a great array of awards on display here.  At the very core of this film lies the emotion bond between a father and his son.  What makes this bond so special is that opening five minutes of the film.  Not only does it shape the characters for the rest of the film, but it also magnifies this relationship between a man and his son.  Once again Pixar takes the familiar father-son bond, but just provides a little more depth and emotion to it.  It is from that first event in the film that the main character's journey begins.

This may be a film about finding Nemo, but this is really all about Marlin's journey.  It is very much about Marlin re-discovering trust in not only other fish, but in the world in general.  One is able to see quite easily how the traumatic events of the past plague Marlin and his outlook on life.  It is fitting that is the disappearance of Nemo that provokes Marlin to re-discovering not only the world, but life in general.  To me, this is a film more about loss and coping with that loss than it is a man finding his son.  As a viewer, what a great journey we are able to witness as a dad is able to overcome shadows in his past to locate his lost son.  While doing this Marlin is able to move on from his past and once again begin living life.  Awesome stuff on display here.

Pixar has always had a a vast array of endearing supporting characters, but I'm not sure any are more important than Dory here.  While it would have been easily for her to simply have been a gimmick used for comic relief, instead she is the most important driver of Marlin's journey and re-awakening.  The contrast here is something to behold as you have Dory's uninhibited trust of any and all things clashing with the overly-analytic and worrying nature of Marlin.  Over time it is through the character of Dory that Marlin is able to re-gain his trust in the world and perhaps more importantly, other fish.  I feel like I've been saying this way too much of late with these Pixar films, and yet once again the word poetic seems perfect to describe the dynamics on display here.

A father searches for his son and in the process is able to put the past behind him and once again find his way in the world.  It doesn't get much better than this.
  • Like 2

This is my favorite animated film and one of my favorites of all time.  I've seen it around 23 times now, I've cried every time, and the score still makes me emotional.  It's that film for me (Everyone has one whether they like it or not).

Edited by The Panda

C.

Overrated, most boring Pixar movie ever. I watched it as a kid in cinema, and watched it few more times though my life. Still boring and unfunny.

Ive always used finding nemo to judge a persons personality. If someone doesn't like Finding Nemo then it tends to be because they have no sense of humour. Im sorry you were born that way.

• Like 1

Every time I watch this I keep fearing that I'll end up thinking it's a better film in memory than in actuality. But every time I end up loving it just as much. Watching this film (much like WALL-E) is an experience. You become fully immersed in the beauty of the world and the likability of the characters. It's the first Pixar film that really feels "epic". 

Also, everyone sings Ellen's praises, but I don't think nearly enough is made of Alexander Gould's performance as Nemo. He gives one of the most affecting, emotional performances I've heard from any child actor.

Despite John Carter, Andrew Stanton remains my favorite Pixar filmmaker, and I have faith he'll put as much heart and soul into the upcoming sequel as he did with this movie.

A+

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

To Dory and his other friends, Marlin is what he goes by. To the turtles, he’s the Jellyman. To those who don’t know him, he’s an unfunny clownfish. But most importantly, to Nemo, he’s Dad. Finding Nemo takes a quest worthy of legends and makes it intimate, brilliantly making the relationships of Nemo, Marlin, and Dory resonate with strong emotions all the way through.

Populated with great character actors trying out animation for the first time along with some Pixar alumni, there’s not a single weak vocal performance in the cast. Dory might just be the greatest character Pixar has created, combining comedy with pathos in a truly lovely way. It’s a wonder that Brooks’ performance still manages to outshine DeGeneres’, but the audience’s sympathy for Marlin works thanks to both Brooks and really nuanced writing. Also of note is Thomas Newman’s enchanting score; the Nemo theme could possibly be one of the most touching pieces of film music ever written.

The film is frequently hilarious, but unfortunately Marlin and Dory’s expedition ends up being rather inconsistent in the quality of the humor. However, Marlin and Dory are always a joy to watch in these segments, and Nemo’s adventures with the Tank Gang are much more consistent. The film lacks ambition in a way; there are no deeper themes, it’s just the story of a father looking for his son. This isn’t really a flaw, but at points, the character-piece feel is at odds against the epic scope of the film. Despite some minor issues, Finding Nemo is more than the sum of its parts and earns its reputation as a modern childhood classic. A

I’ve written on Finding Nemo before, and this isn’t really a film where my opinion changes much at all on rewatch. However, I definitely think that one must mention the gorgeous score when watching this movie; switching from Randy to Thomas of the Newmen gives this film a much more emotional feel than any other Pixar film yet. The animation once again is a step-up (the physics of the water still really impress me), and in the evolution of Pixar, this also introduces their first truly strong female character in Dory, who is made memorable by DeGeneres’ voice acting and the clever script. Finding Nemo is still an excellent film, and one of Pixar’s most memorable works. A