baumer

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I have waited so long for this...

Posted Image................................................................

WORST.... FILM.... EVER!!!!!

This abomination was a total disaster in every single measurable aspect! 

From the terribly executed and ridiculously repetitive cliches to the horrible acting to the atrocious CGI and green screen (especially compared to the equally budgeted Star Trek which came out a week later) to the insane rushed nature from start to finish (particularly the scene where his Father dies, then finds out the other guy was his real dad, in less than two minutes) to the pointless insertion of comic characters purely for the sake of clumsy fan service to the insanely contrived and pointless "faked death" storyline which made no sense whatsoever, and do I even have to point out the ridiculous Adamantium bullet and the numerous can of worms that opens up?  The dialogue is idiotic and ends up inadvertently revealing info about characters too early in the most unsubtle way possible, such as Kayla's mind control ability.

This film was supposed to fix the problems with X3, but instead ends up compounding them.

Just a complete and utter hack job all around, whether you like the X-Men series or not.

-***** (Negative 5) out of *****

Edited by Squaremaster316
  • Like 3

I didn't find it that bad ... as far as superheroes are concerned, we're basically in fantasy land and realism and believable dialogues have to take a step back, and the main fault I find with Wolverine is that it takes itself too seriously - maybe following Nolan's Batman films. The second fault is that, while an interesting character, Wolverine works best when (grudgingly forced into) a team situation imho. It's kind of pointless playing the lone wolf if you're really all alone.

The worst X movie, by far. D 3/10

Wolverine Origins is bad or uninteresting in every way, even the special effects were bad, that would be comprehensible if the movie had a small budget but not, it had a 150m budget.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

Outside of a stellar opening credits scene, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is not a good movie by any standard. It utilizes comic characters in a frequently insulting way, and includes some of the stupidest fight scenes I've ever seen in a major blockbuster. Yet, it manages to be wildly entertaining due to these flaws. Jackman's Wolverine is always at least enjoyable to watch, and Schreiber and Kitsch make their screentime pretty enjoyable. There's a sequence in this involving taking down a helicopter that's delightfully over-the-top and truly hilarious. This is the Mission: Impossible II of X-Men, and I mean that in the kindest way. Furthermore, it's a film that feels as though Gavin Hood is at least trying. Despite horrendous effects and a C-list cast, Hood desperately wants to entertain the audience, and sometimes, effort can at least help a bad movie become alright. The third act goes on a bit too long though, and the ending prevents this from being a moronic classic (as much as the poor characterization is frequently diverting in this, Deadpool's portrayal is just boring in every aspect, not even amusingly so). X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't a good movie, but it is pleasing on a very base level, never slowing down its entertainment until a blah third act, but by the time you get there, you'll still have been entertained for a solid 80 minutes. The definition of a decent blockbuster. D+

This is enjoyable. Doesn't really do anything with its characters, but it romps along and kind of fun to watch.

I don't know why it's seen by most people as absolutely awful, cause its just a generic action movie, nothing particularly to dislike. But I haven't seen any of the x-men films prior to Days of Future Past, so I'm not sure how to compare it.

Obviously got nothing on LOGAN but that's fine. It is what it is. 

Oh and the "twist" about his girlfriend is STUPID as fuck. You literally watch her use her powers at start of the movie. 

Liev Schreiber is a Beefy Boi here. Fuckin huge and scary.

Better than the two Deadpool movies.

Decent enough. C

Edited by tree