Plain Old Tele

The End of Film

• Founder / Operator

Looking ahead, we are planning for the 2014 release of IMAX’s brand new 4K digital projection system that uses LASER TECHNOLOGY as the light source.

Drool.

Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

The AMC Burbank 16 (which has a LieMAX screen) is testing the new laser system with GI JOE (for the next couple weeks, anyway). It's supposed to deliver the same light levels in 3D that you'd typically see for a 2D presentation.

I'm pumped about the new laser systems. Even brightness for 2D movies has been extremely poor at times in theaters around here. Half the time I'll buy or rent a movie on Blu-Ray and the light levels are dramatically higher (and it's not just the way I optimize the TV settings, either).

Now would be a good time to post my personal story of film, and why I will never like digital as much.

Great blog post! (Though I disagree on 48fps). ;)One of the great things about celluloid that digital can't hope to replicate was its sheer durability and transparency (literally). You could take a can of film and stick it in the ice for a century and then 100 years later someone could dig it up, and even if they didn't have a projector, they'd be able to get a sense of what was on the film just by hosting it up and looking.