MovieGuyKyle16

Arrested Development

Just watched the 5th episode. Easily the best and most funny so far, and proof that this is still the same show we all know and love.Seems it just takes a while to find its groove, as it's getting progressively more hilarious and the storyline is developed further with each episode.

• Like 2

It got better that's for sure, but it doesn't come within a mile of what it used to be.  The worst thing about it is that the episodes are way, way, way too long.  One of them was 36 minutes!   If they can't make 36 minutes work, please don't let there be a movie.  

I'll give them another watch after awhile and see how it holds up, but I am just left feeling really let down.  I knew I shouldn't have gotten excited.

• Community Manager

Heh. I was expecting a good show (B-level) and that it wouldn't be able to match the original run's brilliance. I gave every season of the original Arrested Development a solid A.

I can say that of the two episodes I've watched so far, my expectations have so far been met.

Edited by Water Bottle in Darkness

Savoring these episodes is easier than I expected. Not that they're not good- I just saw The B. Team, which I really dug- but I've got new Mad Men and a new Soderbergh movie on demand! Good week for quality entertainment. 

I won't lie, that ended up being somewhat disappointing. 

I think they gave a nice try at doing something that's never been done on television (or at least TV on the internet) before, and I totally respect them for it. I don't think it ends up being unsuccessful, either. There's some all-time great episodes from this season (Gob's, Buster's, Mabey's) and enough solid ones (Tobias', Michael's, Lucille's) to drown out the okay episodes (George Michael's) and the outright bad episodes (Lindsay's, George Sr.'s). And I give them huge props for adding to their own mythology of great running jokes (ANUSTART, Sounds of Silence, Getaway, Cinco de Quatro) instead of solely relying on fan service.

There's a few major problems, though: the resolution of all the stories coming together ultimately doesn't mean very much. There's no great finale that wraps up everything in a hilarious, satisfying way like seasons 1-3 did in every episode. Instead, literally every storyline ends up in the air. If that was the plan- catch everyone up and start the movie from where we left off- then I can see why they did this. But there's no actual plans for a movie right now, just ideas floating around. Hurwitz and co. had no endgame here, thus the season feels unfinished. If we don't get a fifth season or a movie and this is really the end, then I think Hurwitz may have totally damaged the show's reputation. 

Secondly, ALL of these episodes, even the good ones, are way too long. The original show was confined to 22 minutes per episode and the timing was all the better for it. They got out of jokes before they became stale. But every episode here feels like a rough cut. There's no reason we need to spend 73 combined minutes just following Lindsey around. I think the editing alone may have significantly hurt the season. 

Finally, the family dynamic is sorely missed here. I loved how many bit characters they brought back, but it took me a while to realize they needed these characters to fill out screentime. And I know that because these are all heavily working actors, they couldn't be in the same place all at once. But when Liza Minnelli and Andy Richter get more screentime then Buster and Mabey, something is wrong here. 

I was ultimately positive on the season because this show was my favorite comedy of all time and there are plenty of times where the show hits that level of brilliance they used to. But I'm more ambivalent about the season then I hoped I would be. 

• Like 1

Just finished the season. Overall it was good, but basically the season felt like rising action with no climax, it was essentially 2 acts of a 3-act play and I guess they plan to try to wrap all the threads up in a 90-minute movie or something.

• Like 1

After seeing how they handled 30-35 min long episodes, I do not want a movie.  

I would take another season though.  Only this time, they need to take the time and make sure they can get everyone together.  Take a year or two if you have too, just give us that awesome chemistry they have!