Thanks! New polls added.

Posted Image

Really good for Battleship. After 2 strong weeks, Love in the Buff is dying fast. Good hold for Titanic. Mirror Mirror had an iffy drop. Not good for The Hunger Games and with some theaters kicking this out on Saturday/Sunday, the weekend drop could turn out to be higher than 75%. The Hunger Games did manage to overtake The Lorax in the last update though. With The Lorax having almost no night shows, its fairly poor number is considered to be actual.

With 2 weeks to go, The Avengers in IMAX is doing robust business. Peak showtimes are already 70% full.

10m HKD? :o

No chance. The Avengers will take care of Battleship when it comes out in 2 weeks.

Posted Image

Wrath passed the halfway mark of Clash's total. Man on a Ledge had a very low opening. Nightfall and A Simple Life are pretty much on their last legs. 2.3m might still happen for Nightfall while A Simple Life will pass 3.4m. Pleasant Goat 4 opened slightly higher than last year's offering if you include the Wednesday holiday takings as well.

Posted Image

Excellent for Battleship. Very good drop for Titanic. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it's doing. I still feel it will drop more than 50% this weekend though. Love in the Buff jumped off a cliff which was somewhat unexpected given the great hold last weekend. 3.5m is still going to happen in my opinion but it'll probably finish on the lower end of the high 3's than the higher end now. Weak hold for Mirror Mirror. Bad WOM sunk this one. The Hunger Games fell hard with no holidays and competition from Battleship. 2.6-2.7m still seems to be where it will end. The Lorax self-destructed. Pretty awful with no major children's films hitting the market in the past 2 months. Meh for Shame. The Soul of Bread got week long special screenings last week. Poor showing for it with its wider release although holidays might have played a role in a lower opening this week. Terrible for Man on a Ledge. Not great for A Simple Life but it may see a resurgence next week IF it wins the coveted awards at the HKFA. Who knows how much of a bump it will see, if any, but it is possible that this will still pass 3.5m. I am not sure if 4m is possible with The Avengers set to monopolize screens the week after.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Smaller than I expected for Battleship. Frontloading effect? Or were moviegoers scared off by Friday the 13th? Regardless, it will rebound on Saturday and Sunday. I'm feeling about $700,000 for Saturday and Sunday. Killer drop for Love in the Buff. Really good for Titanic. For everyone out there who are unconvinced, here's how well it's been doing. It's done 3x the business of the closest 3D release and will do over 4x, maybe even 5x when it ends its run here. Also, at this very moment, it has made 20x what The Lion King made in 3D last year. So for all you naysayers out there who have been dissing Titanic's performance, this emoticon is for you. Posted Image followed by Posted Image. Mirror Mirror and Hunger Games folded.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Outstanding for Battleship. With this number, Battleship is locked for the biggest OW of the year with no asterisk needed. Weak for Love in the Buff. That Titanic hold is crazy. Mirror Mirror and The Hunger Games had soft holds.

Posted Image

Battleship had exceptional walk-ins to seize #1 this weekend and the #1 OW of the year so far. It'll pass 2.5m but we'll need to see how it holds in the next week to decide if 3m is feasible. Titanic had a fantastic hold. 2m is possible but will depend on next week and how badly Avengers will take its screens. Love in the Buff is flaming out quickly. 3.5m is the last milestone it will pass. Mirror Mirror had toxic WOM so it's no surprise that it fell hard. 1.3m could be its reality finish. The Hunger Games fell noticeably on the holidays last weekend so a bigger drop this weekend was its likely destination. 2.6-2.7m will be its total range.

Posted Image

Excellent for Battleship. Insane for Titanic. Love in the Buff's energy has run out. Mirror Mirror and The Lorax had big drops although that is a nice jump for The Lorax.

Yes, Battleship is going to make more than 10m HKD opening weekend. Generally sci-fi action movies make most of their money on the weekend.Looks like there is bad WOM coming out from Battleship. Not good for its legs.

Yes, Battleship is going to make more than 10m HKD opening weekend. Generally sci-fi action movies make most of their money on the weekend.Looks like there is bad WOM coming out from Battleship. Not good for its legs.

Sucess in Hong Kong means success in China too? Or the pattern are really different generally speaking?

2.5 multiplier?

I am not sure yet. I want to see how it does for the rest of the week before saying anything. The Avengers will definitely take 3 or 4 screens when it comes out in 2 weeks so 3m is up in the air for now.

Sucess in Hong Kong means success in China too? Or the pattern are really different generally speaking?

For Hollywood movies, I would say yes. Many mainland people are coming down here to watch movies so I think both places are aligning in grosses for the most part. Sentry, firedeep, I think if we can come up with total grosses for most Hollywood movies in Hong Kong and China, we can see a pattern emerge between the two. By the way, do you guys have any concrete numbers where you can get totals from?

I am not sure yet. I want to see how it does for the rest of the week before saying anything. The Avengers will definitely take 3 or 4 screens when it comes out in 2 weeks so 3m is up in the air for now.For Hollywood movies, I would say yes. Many mainland people are coming down here to watch movies so I think both places are aligning in grosses for the most part. Sentry, firedeep, I think if we can come up with total grosses for most Hollywood movies in Hong Kong and China, we can see a pattern emerge between the two. By the way, do you guys have any concrete numbers where you can get totals from?

No, no concrete numbers, just estimates.Generally doing well in HK means big gross in mainland too for most hollywood movies. Though there are exceptions, like Toy Story 3, which did monster number in HK but poor 110M yuan in the mainland.