I don't undertand why 7K for Titanic is considered "wild", but 6K for HG is "underwhelming"? :)

Because most 3D re-releases have done poorly in HK. Titanic's opening day so far should be more than $100,000 and if you add on another $150,000 for the rest of the day, that would become a $250,000 opening day, beating almost every other 3D re-release's opening weekend.While The Hunger Games is in its 3rd weekend, it should do better on holidays because longer action epics see increases on holidays. To lose admissions from last weekend is not a good sign although the day has not ended yet. Also, it saw a great hold last weekend so the trend should have continued on into this week but the lower admissions means that the public has either moved onto other movies or the mixed WOM from the general public is starting to take shape.

Posted Image

Excellent for Love in the Buff. Hefty drops for The Hunger Games and Wrath of the Titans. Great opening for Titanic 3D. This is going to at least double all 3D re-releases' OWs in the past 3 years. Not bad for A Simple Life.

Interestingly enough, The Lorax was supposed to get an IMAX release this weekend but Titanic snatched it away. I don't know how FOX pulled it off but it's working as Titanic is about 75-85% full for all showtimes (advanced ticketing released up until Easter Monday).

Wrath is getting some IMAX showtimes too but it's doing the opposite of Titanic, only 5-10% full with each showtime.

So Hunger Games has mixed WOM in Hong Kong?

Yes. General public seems to have mixed feelings about the movie.

Posted Image

Really good for Love in the Buff. Titanic is doing well. The Lorax and Mirror Mirror should both pass Titanic today. Weak for Wrath of the Titans.

Posted Image

Really good for Love in the Buff. It's only down 1% from last Friday. It also would have been very close to or passed 2m on Thursday. Good opening for Mirror Mirror. The Hunger Games increased nicely. Titanic is still doing awesome. The Lorax did about expected.

I have a problem with how Titanic is performing. By now you should know that but maybe i'm expecting too much from you. The same way i was expecting too much from this re-release. Oh, well, there's still a chance it develops some nice legs but i kinda doubt it.So you've decided to follow me here since you embarrassed yourself in the wed thread?

Still, nothing to write home about.

I disagree. For once, a re-release is doing well in HK.______________________________________________________________________________Battleship: Pre-selling in IMAX started yesterday and already peak showtimes are about 15-20% full. It is headed towards a weekend above 1m.The Avengers: Pre-selling has started at 1 theater today. 2 tickets have been bought. Ticket prices cost more than a regular 3D release. OW is expected to be in the 2-3m range.

Thursday actuals (accurate to the HK$ thousands)

1. Love in the Buff - $178,992 (+25.1%)/$2,029,441

2. Titanic 3D - $86,277/$215,048

3. Mirror Mirror - $81,126/$155,813

4. The Hunger Games - $73,399 (+14.3%)/$1,856,887

5. Wrath of the Titans - $65,673 (-37.5%)/$1,028,885

6. The Lorax - $63,098

7. Man on a Ledge - $33,480

8. Nightfall - $23,178 (-14.9%)/$2,091,251

9. A Simple Life - $19,315 (-27.2%)/$3,246,332

10. Pleasant Goat and Big Bad Wolf 4 - $7,855

Guilty of Romance - $2,317

Bollywood: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told - $1,416

Ratios for the top 5

Love in the Buff - 7.34

Titanic - 9.60

Mirror Mirror - 6.85

The Hunger Games - 7.09

The Lorax - 7.40

Great for Love in the Buff. It'll pass 3.5m and could hit 4m. Titanic is doing well. It's going to triple or quadruple the most recent OWs of 3D re-releases and may hit $650k-700k for the 5-day weekend (including Tuesday sneaks). Mirror Mirror also showed some muscles. It could land somewhere within the realm of $500,000-$600,000 for the 4-day (including special screenings). Solid increase for The Hunger Games. I think it will end with about 2.7-2.8m. It will depend on how much it makes the rest of the holidays and how badly Battleship affects it on Wednesday. Wrath of the Titans will experience a loss of showtimes this weekend. It'll finish somewhere around 1.4-1.5m. Battleship will swallow up most of its remaining showtimes. The Lorax did alright. It'll pull some good grosses throughout the weekend. It might be aiming for about $550,000 for the 4-day. Man on a Ledge is headed for a $200,000 4-day weekend. Nightfall held up ok. It'll likely finish with 2.3m. A Simple Life could be headed for 3.4-3.5m if there is no resurgence from the Hong Kong Film Awards next week. If, however, it dominates and bags the major categories, it might see an uplift in screens and showtimes which could see its final tally balloon to over 4m. Pleasant Goat might be headed towards a $75,000 weekend.

The Avengers has started pre-selling for April 26 and in some places April 27 at a handful of theaters today. Battleship, on the other hand, has started pre-selling for Wednesday shows only at 2 locations. I have never seen advanced ticketing this far ahead for a tentpole release. It's even gotten advanced ticketing in the business district location which rarely happens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I badly underestimated a lot of the holdovers this weekend. Love in the Buff's 4-day may see a slight increase from last weekend. Its 7-day could increase 70-80% from last weekend and its total may reach almost 3m after Easter Monday. Mirror Mirror is picking up steam. The Hunger Games's low increase Friday isn't great and it might finish the weekend either slightly down or flat from last week. It really depends on how much it falls today and tomorrow. The Lorax rebounded after an underwhelming Thursday. Titanic has been growing. It'll see its biggest grosses today and tomorrow.

This has been a banner year so far for local movies. Last year, only 4 local movies made more than 2m and they combine for a $13,587,136 total.

This year has already eclipsed last year's tally with 5 films (A Simple Life, The Viral Factor, I Love Hong Kong 2012, Nightfall and Love in the Buff) all reaching 2m and it's only the beginning of April! Those 5 films will combine for more than last year's gross when all is said and done.

Edited by Bluebomb

Posted Image

Really good drop for Love in the Buff. Fantastic hold for Mirror Mirror. Superb for Titanic. That doesn't look good for The Lorax. Mild drop for The Hunger Games.

Pre-selling for The Avengers is now up and running at all Broadway/AMC locations. IMAX has already started advanced ticketing for The Avengers although schedules have not been posted online.

Poll results

Q: #1 film of 2012?

1. The Dark Knight Rises - 11 votes

2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 3 votes

3. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 - 1 vote

4. Kung Fu Hustle 2/Another film from 2012 - 1 vote

Q: Top 5 of 2012?

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 14 votes

2. The Dark Knight Rises - 13 votes

3. The Avengers - 11 votes

4. The Amazing Spider-Man - 10 votes

5. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 - 6 votes

T6. The Hunger Games/Ice Age: Continental Drift/Kung Fu Hustle 2 - 4 votes

9. Brave - 3 votes

10. Puss in Boots - 2 votes

T11. Madagascar 3/The Expendables - 1 vote

Some interesting results although Twilight is not making the top 10 let alone the top 5. The Hunger Games/Puss in Boots are not top 10 bound. The Dark Knight RIses really has a commanding lead as the #1 film. I'd say it's going to be a 3 horse race between Dark Knight, Hobbit and Spider-Man. Thanks for voting!

Go Titanic!!! It'll hit $2 billion worldwide!

Oh yeah, definitely. Titanic is going to increase as the weekend progresses in HK. In fact, it already increased on Saturday. Sunday may turn out to be its best day this weekend which after the two holidays that it's already gotten is bizarre and fantastic. Pretty impressive showing for a 3D re-release.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Love in the Buff badly outdid its nearest competitors and doubled their grosses this Easter weekend. It will be the 2nd local film of the season to pass 3m when it does it sometime Tuesday. 2nd place will come down to the wire with Mirror Mirror and Titanic deadlocked. Mirror Mirror and Titanic both enjoyed a very good Saturday and Sunday as Mirror Mirror dropped lightly but Titanic impressed a bit more by increasing on Saturday. Both should debut with over $500,000 for the 4-day (including sneaks). After a decent start, The Hunger Games has held well although this weekend doesn't look as great last weekend when it dropped 35% in the face of 2 openers and no holidays. Even though it doesn't look as good, the 26% decline is still a decent hold and it might be enough to send The Hunger Games past 2.5m. The Lorax didn't play well with kids this weekend. Looks like kids are holding out for something better.