is Battleship really doing as horrible as people are saying or is this just an over exaggeration since it seems many want this to do bad

A bit of both. I think everyone just got super excited when early numbers came out for Battleship INTL and started to spin and make it look bad when its "not as good but still good" numbers rolled in. But the legs look to be pretty awful. It's understandable for this type of movie though. Transformers 3 fell more than 60% here in its 2nd weekend with no real big competition.

You can't compare this to Transformers 3. TF3 fell 63% from a 5-day opening, and it's first Friday was a national holiday in Hong Kong.Battleship is just doing terribly bad, there is no other way to describe it.

You can't compare this to Transformers 3. TF3 fell 63% from a 5-day opening, and it's first Friday was a national holiday in Hong Kong.Battleship is just doing terribly bad, there is no other way to describe it.

My point is that generally movies of this nature drop harder than most other films. Their demand is spent on the first weekend.

More on the The Grand Master; this has been a film which has been sidelined for a year. To get a prime release date near Christmas shows the confidence that the studio has with this movie. If this gets a Cantonese dub, this could be one of the biggest movies in the winter. Meanwhile, The Hobbit won't be affected too much by this development.Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 might though. If they are aiming for another Christmas release with the last film, they are putting themselves in the line of fire with The Hobbit, Grand Master and Life of Pi all coming out.

Posted Image

I am floored. I thought Battleship would get it into the low 70's for the day. That's just plain ugly. 86% drop. Titanic had a good hold. Love in the Buff did OK. Weak for 407 Dark Flight. Machine Gun Preacher is not making $80,000 this weekend. Yikes.

Posted Image

Solid for Titanic. Buff is coming back. Battleship continues to slide into oblivion. 407 Dark Flight did small numbers. Respectable for A Dangerous Method with only a limited release.

Well, looks like admissions are a problem again. Battleship led all releases with $79,229 (-61.3% drop) on Thursday and it's well out in front of all other movies. Battleship will repeat as the top choice this weekend. Rest of the top 10 to come.

Edited by Bluebomb

Posted Image

So Battleship doesn't sink as low as most of us thought. Another week of screwy admissions. Battleship will pass 1.9m and could possibly steam past 2m this weekend. Nice surprise to see 407 Dark Flight claim 2nd place. Frankly, Hollywood should be ashamed of its horror films losing to a Thai movie playing in only half of Hong Kong's theaters. As for 407 Dark Flight, it might capture $150,000 this weekend. Not bad for Titanic. This will come close to 1.5m after Sunday. Love in the Buff had a better hold after last week's post-holiday tumble. It'll pass 3.5m this weekend and might overtake A Simple Life as the biggest local film of the year. Not a good enough start for Machine Gun Preacher. It'll miss $100,000. Possible 4-day total could be just $80,000. A Simple Life surged after winning the major awards at the HK Film Awards last Sunday. 3.5m will be achieved this weekend. The Hunger Games rebounded after a heavy dip last weekend. It'll lock in 2.5m this weekend. Mirror Mirror continues to bleed. It might barely hit 1.1m and then disappear. Trainwreck performance for Lives in Flames. $40,000 might not even happen.

Posted Image

Buff and Titanic had good holds. Battleship looks to be holding better. Decent for 407 Dark Flight. Machine Gun Preacher isn't doing great.

Posted Image

So Battleship doesn't sink as low as most of us thought. Another week of screwy admissions. Battleship will pass 1.9m and could possibly steam past 2m this weekend. Nice surprise to see 407 Dark Flight claim 2nd place. Frankly, Hollywood should be ashamed of its horror films losing to a Thai movie playing in only half of Hong Kong's theaters. As for 407 Dark Flight, it might capture $150,000 this weekend. Not bad for Titanic. This will come close to 1.5m after Sunday. Love in the Buff had a better hold after last week's post-holiday tumble. It'll pass 3.5m this weekend and might overtake A Simple Life as the biggest local film of the year. Not a good enough start for Machine Gun Preacher. It'll miss $100,000. Possible 4-day total could be just $80,000. A Simple Life surged after winning the major awards at the HK Film Awards last Sunday. 3.5m will be achieved this weekend. The Hunger Games rebounded after a heavy dip last weekend. It'll lock in 2.5m this weekend. Mirror Mirror continues to bleed. It might barely hit 1.1m and then disappear. Trainwreck performance for Lives in Flames. $40,000 might not even happen.

Posted Image

Buff and Titanic had good holds. Battleship looks to be holding better. Decent for 407 Dark Flight. Machine Gun Preacher isn't doing great.

Battleship is pretty impressive, do you expect high scores for The Avengers?

And I guess you are from Hong Kong right?

Battleship is pretty impressive, do you expect high scores for The Avengers?And I guess you are from Hong Kong right?

I expect at least a 2m from The Avengers opening weekend. 2.5m is my guess right now but it might rake in 3m if demand is very strong. I need to see how many theaters are scheduling The Avengers in 2D here first before making a final prediction. If it gets a lot of 2D screens in addition to its 3D screens, I will up my prediction.And yeah I am. Edited by Bluebomb

I think The Avengers will do around 60M hk$

I think it will make about 5-6m. Most superhero movies do well on opening weekend then have weak legs. To The Avengers benefit, it has little competition in its 2nd weekend. 3rd weekend will see Dark Shadows and Fairy Tale Killer come out but I think both will disappoint for some reason.