Some other comparisons using Avengers' 3D opening day pre-sales

+125.5% from Thor's opening day

+43.8% from X-Men: First Class' opening day

+207.1% from Green Lantern's opening day

+77.9% from Captain America's opening day

'Cause its difficult for me to compare and contrast since I'm not that knowledgeable with previous HK numbers, I'm assuming that's good for The Avengers?

It's AMAZING.

This compares with Harry Potter presales. DH2 opened to 3.4M.

No, Harry Potter started with over 62,000 admissions on opening day pre-sales and it opened to 3.6m. Edited by Bluebomb

How much can Avengers make in Singapore for its entire run?

Well, Iron Man 2 made more there than in HK. Also, recent movies like Battleship and The Hunger Games have performed better and grossed more in Singapore.I wouldn't be surprised to see it gross around 8m. Conservative prediction, about 6m.

Well, Iron Man 2 made more there than in HK. Also, recent movies like Battleship and The Hunger Games have performed better and grossed more in Singapore.I wouldn't be surprised to see it gross around 8m. Conservative prediction, about 6m.

If it makes 8m in Singapore and 6-7m in HK, it will bode very well for China.

At 6 PM, The Avengers is currently sitting with 60,000 admissions in 3D. Add in the 5,000 admissions from Wednesday midnights and it is sitting at 65,000 admissions right now. With 6 hours to go, The Avengers will likely beat my 75,000 admissions prediction. I think it has a shot of beating Transformers Tuesday + Wednesday admissions. Harry Potter's OD admissions broke 100,000 but I don't think The Avengers will get there. One thing that The Avengers has over Harry Potter is higher ticket prices. It's not as expensive as Transformers 3 but slightly more than Harry Potter 7-2.

2 weeks away from release, pre-selling for Dark Shadows has taken place at most theaters. 1m+ OW expected? This kind of baffles me to be honest. The Johnny Depp/Tim Burton collaboration isn't a driving force in HK but to get pre-selling at many locations this early screams very big hit. This might put a dent in The Avengers' legs. We will see.

Posted Image

Avengers slowed down a lot at night but it was still a monstrous opening day. If you add on the 5,000 from midnights, The Avengers 3D began with more than 70,000 admissions on Thursday. Avengers comes in a little behind Transformers 3's opening day admissions and pretty far away from Harry Potter 7-2's opening day admissions.

3D share - 96.98%

2D share - 3.02%

Posted Image

Battleship held up well. The drop is great considering that Wednesday previews were rolled into Battleship's opening weekend gross.

Good battle between Titanic and 407 Dark Flight. Titanic's 3D prices came out on top of 407 Dark Flight. Love in the Buff bounced back after a heavy drop 2 weeks ago. Good hold for The Hunger Games. Overall, it has done quite well since its slower start. Mirror Mirror continues to sag. Impressive increase for A Simple Life. It may still come out on top of Love in the Buff. Weak for Machine Gun Preacher. Excellent for Sunny. OK for A Dangerous Method.

will HK people go to work next monday?mainland people have 3 day off from sunday to tueseday.

Yes, although I suspect most will take it off anyway.

how much will it make in Hong Kong? Can it outgross Dark Knight there which I am sure is the highest grossing superhero film

I put it at 75% chance of beating TDK for now. One thing that didn't work well for other superhero movies is their bad legs. Transformers 3's first 8 days made about 60% of the business. Since The Avengers is a bigger movie than its superhero counterparts, it might finish with less than a 2 multiplier after its first 6 days. If The Avengers makes 3.6m OW then another $900,000 Mon and Tuesday and it ends up to be 60% of its final gross, The Avengers will end up with 7.5m missing TDK by less than $50,000.

Posted Image

Very impressive for The Avengers even though it misses out on the non-holiday record. It'll make 3.6-4m for the weekend. Everything in the top 5 fell hard. Extremely good for Sunny. I'm quite surprised at how well it's been doing. Nice hold for The Hunger Games. I expected a bigger drop. OK for A Simple Life. Average for A Dangerous Method. Mirror Mirror had another huge dive.

Posted Image

*Bolded number is the leader for that row

Here are the # of Opening Saturday showings for five big movies in the past few years. The Avengers leads the showtime count at most theaters and when its showtime is lower than other movies, it has only been by one showtime. Although not listed, The Grand Cinema even notched 40 showtimes for The Avengers on Saturday. :noway:

The Avengers will increase on Friday. Expected Friday total will amount to over $800,000. 2-day total stands at over 1.5m.____________________________________Lockout is getting advanced screenings on Labour Day (May 1). No word if other upcoming movies are also doing this special engagement.

Posted Image

Excellent for The Avengers. As expected, it will pass 1.5m in 2 days. Friday estimate for The Avengers is $820,000.

3D share - 97.4%

2D share - 2.6%

Posted Image

This beats Harry Potter 7-2's opening Saturday pre-sales and Transformers 3's as well. Keep in mind that Transformers 3 already had a Friday holiday to take care of demand. This will be tricky to predict but I'll say it will hit 130,000 admissions today. Either way, this is beating the OW of the finale of Harry Potter. It could also take down Transformers 3's 4-day OW but this looks to be an outside chance for now.

Edited by Bluebomb