A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

11 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Catherine Zeta-Jones and Sean Connery in Entrapment. He was James Bond and all but come on now...

Well, The Hunger Games movies aren't exactly a great case for JLaw having love interests in her age range...

It's part sexism...okay, a lot sexism but also middle-aged actors and execs wanting to stay on top and fend off the young studs....especially now, they used to let Tom Cruise and Will Smith and Ben Affleck be leading men who carried the mainstream movies in their 20s, but now it's like guys are stuck playing high school/college kids until they're around 30, unless it's some indie/VOD. Meanwhile the internet snipes about twentysomething actresses playing dress up or looking too young, to be cast as mothers or young professionals.

Another thing these graphs show is that the movie industry so leery about interracial pairings. Put JLaw with Michael B. Jordan!

Interesting, I agree some of it is probably sexism, but it's also pretty realistic for woman to end up with older men in real life, they usually are more mature than men in thier twenties, they are just drawn to men who don't act like children sometimes. alot of it is Hollywood trying to keep thier male stars, stars as long as they can, though it's pretty irregular for an older actress to be cast with a younger actor though it has happend though.

I really don't think age matters that much in love as long as it about 20 years or less. My Aunt was divorced twice, had abusive husbands and is now married to man 20 years younger than her, but they've been together over 15 years now and he treats her right and they fit perfectly together. my sister's husband is 12 years older and they are very happily married, my oldest brother's wife is 3 years older than him and they are a perfect couple. age is just a number.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

4.2 m views on Jennifer's fb acc.

1.8 m views on passengersmovie fb acc

1.3 m views on officialpassengersmovie fb acc. 

I honestly don't know how many views in 30 hours is a lot, but it is over 6 million on youtube, 5.5M on Jen's facebook page, and 2.8 Mill on the official facebook page.  I don't really know how that compares to other movies, though.

1 hour ago, trifle said:

I honestly don't know how many views in 30 hours is a lot, but it is over 6 million on youtube, 5.5M on Jen's facebook page, and 2.8 Mill on the official facebook page.  I don't really know how that compares to other movies, though.

I just can compare them with Jennifer's trailers:

Joy:

Mockingjay Part 2

• Like 2

The Guardian did a write up analyzing this as a potential path to more original blockbusters.  They conclude:

If Sony does pull off a surprise smash, it could be a game-changer. Tyldum’s film appears to offer a tentative pathway for the industry to shift back towards original big-budget film-making and away from the incessant hum of superhero movies that have overtaken the slates of at least half the major studios – and to begin trusting to the talent of its finest actors, screenwriters and directors once again, rather than being forced to rely so heavily on pre-existing fanbases.

Much has been made of Hollywood’s creative redundancy at a time when TV is experiencing a golden age, but studios cannot just steal all the small screen’s best ideas and put them in the multiplexes, for the two mediums work on vastly different dynamics. As Cameron so smartly spotted in the 1980s, blockbuster cinema requires genuine spectacle to make its mark in the modern era, for no other reason than that audiences might as well stay at home if they are only paying their hard-earned bucks to see the same content on a larger screen. But that does not mean that extravagant tentpole film-making, with the kind of synapse-searing effects that only cinemas are capable of showing off in their full glory, cannot be delivered with verve and originality.

Just as Starship Avalon is not the only damaged vessel floundering in increasingly uncertain territory, Sony bigwigs will not be the only studio executives hoping that Passengers proves to be a major hit. One imagines the whole of Hollywood would very much like to ride the success of Tyldum’s film all the way to its own new golden age.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/21/passengers-trailer-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-titanic-avatar?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trifle said:

The Guardian did a write up analyzing this as a potential path to more original blockbusters.  They conclude:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/21/passengers-trailer-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-titanic-avatar?CMP=share_btn_tw

There have already been a hand full in the last 5 years like Inception, Gravity, Interstellar, The Martian.  If its a hit I don't see studios suddenly being steered into a "new golden" age, especially when superhero movies in the 20s on Rottentomatoes are still making a lots of money.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

There have already been a hand full in the last 5 years like Inception, Gravity, Interstellar, The Martian.  If its a hit I don't see studios suddenly being steered into a "new golden" age, especially when superhero movies in the 20s on Rottentomatoes are still making a lots of money.

I think some of those were books first, but yeah, there have been some, I agree.

I wonder if this will include Passengers, and boost the marketing in China:

Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group is about to broaden its Hollywood footprint in a substantial way. The company is closing a significant co-finance deal with Sony Pictures that will see Wanda take minority stakes in certain Sony tentpole-sized films, the ones that have global appeal. This is all happening quickly and the deal is expected to be closed and could be announced by next week. In addition to funding, the deal gives Sony access to Wanda’s marketing and exhibition muscle in China. SPE Motion Picture Group chairman Tom Rothman, Columbia Pictures president Sanford Panitch and biz affairs chief Andrew Gumpert are finalizing the details with Wanda’s Jack Gao.

more: http://deadline.com/2016/09/dalian-wanda-sony-pictures-slate-deal-1201823837/

Edit--

Also Jon Spaihts (the screenwriter) read the Guardian article as well:

Edited by trifle

LOL I just saw that tweet. 

I actually really love that he's active and commenting on the film. I like knowing that the writer of the script is involved in the movie and feels passionate about it.  I saw some speculation that his script was altered, but his ongoing involvement makes me think that even if it underwent some changes, it hasn't been hacked to pieces like some other great scripts.

Edited by JennaJ

1 minute ago, JennaJ said:

I actually really love that he's active and commenting on the film because I saw some speculation that his script was heavily altered but his ongoing involvement makes me think that even if it was, it hasn't been hacked to pieces like some other great scripts.

I had heard that that awful 'If you die I die' line was added after, and I sure don't remember it in the screenplay.  I hope that is the only influence whomever came up with that line had on the film.  The rest of the trailer was terrific.

1 minute ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

The movie will have plenty of adjustments, nips, tucks, tweaks, and so forth from the original script that made the rounds. That's just how the whole process goes. The Black List version is essentially the idealized version of the script.

Sure it will, I just hope those adjustments are smart and done with competence. I haven't read the script, but I read enough praise for it to know that I want to see that vision brought to film. I hope the finished movie is as close to that vision as it possibly can be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennaJ said:

I actually really love that he's active and commenting on the film. I like knowing that the writer of the script is involved in the movie and feels passionate about it.  I saw some speculation that his script was altered, but his ongoing involvement makes me think that even if it underwent some changes, it hasn't been hacked to pieces like some other great scripts.

He's very involved in the production, and really happy for that.

IMG_vbd6bx.png

• Like 1