A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

This place is so negative. I've made my peace with a mixed to negative response to this movie a long while ago, but it really feels like some people here are just eager for it to fail.

I still hope that even without great reviews it could do well enough, because you know the lesson for studios would be "don't invest in original scripts, more remakes!!!".

Oh well.

• Like 4

Seems like the real problem of this film is the story itself? I mean I find some reaction on twitter and IMDB, most of them said the visuals are cool (even some people hate this film), the acting is fine. 

I read the script and i really like it, though some part of it is indeed controversial. And the ending, very emotional but maybe kind of depressing for some people. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

This place is so negative. I've made my peace with a mixed to negative response to this movie a long while ago, but it really feels like some people here are just eager for it to fail.

I still hope that even without great reviews it could do well enough, because you know the lesson for studios would be "don't invest in original scripts, more remakes!!!".

Oh well.

Yeah, i notice that. Actually, in IMDB, you can see some contents are exactly the same as here, posted by some new registered account. Some people are eager for it to bomb and they really work hard on it.

Edited by ezme
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Oh well.

Eh, studios still greenlight original projects all the time. You just never know which ones will hit and which ones will miss.

21 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

How long have you been here? This happens with almost every major movie: DCEU, MARVEL, HP, F&F, Disney Animation, Pixar, even Star Wars. 

This movie is not a franchise, but it has two huge stars in a big-budget genre film released in the middle of the holiday season; it is a hoped-for blockbuster (that has had dismal marketing so far). Of course it is going to have people rooting for it to fail.

ALRIGHT.  THIS IS IT.  IM TIRED OF BEING NEUTRAL ON THIS FILMS INEVITABLE SUCCESS.  MY STANNING POWAH HAS NOT BEEN UNLEASHED YET.

FUCK EVERYONE.  PASSENGERS WILL MAKE 300M OW.  IT IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE.  INCOMING 1048388282% SCORE ON ROTTEN TOMATOES. AHAHHAHAHAHJAJAJAHHAJAJAJAJJAHAHAHHAHA.  WREAK HAVOC

charles-xavier-james-mcavoy-alex-wreak-h

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TLK said:

Neil Turitz is saying that Passengers has a $160 million budget and he also thinks it is tracking under Assassin's Creed.

http://www.tracking-board.com/the-curious-case-of-sonys-potentially-unpleasant-christmas-and-the-wrong-lessons-we-will-undoubtedly-take-from-it/

No clue who is the reporter but the budget for this is 120m scaled down to 100m with tax credits (Rothman counts every penny :lol:). Ehm Assassin's Creed target audience overlaps way more with R1 than for Passengers...but hey we'll see

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

ALRIGHT.  THIS IS IT.  IM TIRED OF BEING NEUTRAL ON THIS FILMS INEVITABLE SUCCESS.  MY STANNING POWAH HAS NOT BEEN UNLEASHED YET.

FUCK EVERYONE.  PASSENGERS WILL MAKE 300M OW.  IT IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE.  INCOMING 1048388282% SCORE ON ROTTEN TOMATOES. AHAHHAHAHAHJAJAJAHHAJAJAJAJJAHAHAHHAHA.  WREAK HAVOC

Cocaine is such a powerful drug.

• Like 2

LET ME REPEAT IT AGAIN, WHEN YOU CAST CHRIS PRATT AND JENNIFER LAWRENCE IN A SCI-FI ROMANCE MOVIE SET IT IN SPACE THEN EVERYONE EXPECTS A MOVIE WITH ROUSING CHEMISTRY AND AMAZING ACTING WITH LOTS OF ROMANCE AND GOOD STORY TO BOOT. REST OF THE STUFF DOES NOT MATTER. THIS MOVIE FAILS TO DO THAT. 

COOL VISUALS AIN'T GONNA SAVE THIS.

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

LET ME REPEAT IT AGAIN, WHEN YOU CAST CHRIS PRATT AND JENNIFER LAWRENCE IN A SCI-FI ROMANCE MOVIE SET IT IN SPACE THEN EVERYONE EXPECTS A MOVIE WITH ROUSING CHEMISTRY AND AMAZING ACTING WITH LOTS OF ROMANCE AND GOOD STORY TO BOOT. REST OF THE STUFF DOES NOT MATTER. THIS MOVIE FAILS TO DO THAT. 

COOL VISUALS AIN'T GONNA SAVE THIS.

You've seen it?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

The reviews are enough to decide whether it is worth seeing. 

There are no reviews yet. There are a few twitter reactions and one person who has actually seen it and shared his (positive) take here.

Don't go see it, by all means, but don't act like you know what it is or isn't when you haven't seen it and have read maybe 3 reactions overall.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 4

Going into Jimmy Kimmel

Wondering if I even want to go back and read the earlier pages.  sorry Ann Thompson doesn't like it, but her statement that she doesn't like the concept of the script makes me think it might not be because the movie is bad but because (if you read the script) there is something in there that could be controversial. We'll find out. 

Spoiler

She says she doesn't like its gender dynamics, so that is pretty certainly it. 

Jen doesn't plan on playing the same part in every movie all her life.  She is not Ree Dolly or Katniss Everdeen in this movie.  But I haven't heard one thing said against the acting or her ability to play the part this is.

In any event, give some who are not always easy to please DO like it, I'm pretty sure I will.

As to why we care about reviews it is because an original story is more vulnerable to sniping than a franchise, and we want it to do well.  Reviews certainly won't change my view of the movie itself, one way or the other.

Edited by trifle

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

On the one hand, "Hear, hear!!!"

on the other hand... should I really start to worry now?