A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

Box Office Mojo have Passengers at a little over 20 million in China so far. But an opening weekend of 14,8 wouldn't really make sense, unless the movie did almost 6 million there yesterday, which it did not. 

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Passengers-(2016)#tab=international

They have it at 17,34 opening weekend, which is what we were told previously, and what adds up with the number Box Office Mojo have on their site now. (20 million. Weekend plus Monday)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, misafeco said:

New estimates have a much bigger Sunday drop. It was expected but that much. I don't believe this either. Monday gross seems good.

5 minutes ago, Peanut said:

Box Office Mojo have Passengers at a little over 20 million in China so far. But an opening weekend of 14,8 wouldn't really make sense, unless the movie did almost 6 million there yesterday, which it did not. 

They have it at 17,34 opening weekend, which is what we were told previously, and what adds up with the number Box Office Mojo have on their site now. (20 million. Weekend plus Monday)

are those still estimates?  I'm waiting until actuals are in, domestically as well.

9 minutes ago, Peanut said:

This is their tweet. They still have the total at over $20 million, so I don't know what's going on.

Edited by Frozen
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Frozen said:

This is their tweet. They still have the total at over $20 million, so I don't know what's going on.

I'm going with this which says $17.5 M for the weekend.  I have run into the fact that some sites use just Saturday and Sunday, not Friday for the weekend in China.

Passengers (太空旅客), the sci-fi romance featuring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence as starship-wrecked lovers, took advantage of a quiet pre-Lunar New Year release date to debut with RMB 121 million (US$17.5 million) in first place this weekend at the Chinese box office. Meanwhile, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (星球大战外传:侠盗一号) plummeted 70 percent on its second weekend of release, grossing just RMB 63 million ($9.1 million) for a 10-day total of RMB 365 million ($52.9 million).

China’s chūnyùn (春运), the world’s largest human mass migration in which Chinese citizens will take an estimated 2.5 billion trips over the next 40 days, began in full force on Friday as college students finished midterm exams and headed home for the Lunar New Year.

New Year’s Day — or chū yī (初一) —  falls on Saturday, January 28, this year, and moviegoing business during the preceding two weeks will be among the slowest of the entire year as travel, family visits, and preparation for the traditional New Year’s Eve feast take precedence over leisure activities.

Passengers entered this pre-Lunar New Year malaise with understandably limited box office potential, and in that light, its $17.5 million debut this weekend should be seen as a modest victory....

Edited by trifle

Passengers entered this pre-Lunar New Year malaise with understandably limited box office potential, and in that light, its $17.5 million debut this weekend should be seen as a modest victory....

Ugh. Still don't get why Sony couldn't have bargained for a better release date in China.

I thought that was gonna be one upside of having a partnership with Wanda, but hey, guess not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Ugh. Still don't get why Sony couldn't have bargained for a better release date in China.

I thought that was gonna be one upside of having a partnership with Wanda, but hey, guess not.

The Return of Xander Cage has a better release date than this.

https://movie.douban.com/coming

BTW if you are translating this page from English

Come = Arrival

City of Philharmonic = La La Land

• Like 1