A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

7 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Newman's score is the best of the nominees.

Here's the soundtrack on spotify for anyone who wants to hear it: https://play.spotify.com/album/2smWQvJn9iIdStfXgX96rs?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

production design is pretty spectacular, too. And it wasn't just one beautiful set they used over and over, there were so many, and they were so varied:

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm seeing all this 're release' and expansion of oscar nom films, including expansion of Arrival with bonus footage, and I'm doubly worried about what Passengers' theater count will be. 

yeah i thought of that too.  I checked all the theaters around me and there is at least 12 theaters and all of the ones that were playing it dropped Passengers completely except for one theater that has about 2 showings.

Lots of Arrival, hacksaw Ridge, even Moana sing alongs have popped up from what I saw.  Again this is only my region, but just sharing what I saw in response to the above post

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm seeing all this 're release' and expansion of oscar nom films, including expansion of Arrival with bonus footage, and I'm doubly worried about what Passengers' theater count will be. 

Would be a great time to release that extended final scene we all know they have.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Would be a great time to release that extended final scene we all know they have.

OOOHHH!!  I like that idea!!  But Sony has spent so little on this in the US I don't see it happening to boost the number of theaters they have.  I'd love it though.  It had better be in the steel book!

I hope they at least run a couple of 'nominated for 2 academy awards!' ads.

And it will lose almost all of its theaters in China tomorrow as the New Years celebration starts and 99.5% of theaters are dedicated to local films, according to posts in the China box office forum.  It is still at #1 there at the end of two weeks, so it may keep a scattered few, but I can't see how that can translate into much revenue.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trifle said:

And it will lose almost all of its theaters in China tomorrow as the New Years celebration starts and 99.5% of theaters are dedicated to foreign films, according to posts in the China box office forum.  It is still at #1 there at the end of two weeks, so it may keep a scattered few, but I can't see how that can translate into much revenue.

Local films ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Will those Oscar noms get it over $100m? lol.

I'm sure you loved posts like yours on the Ghostbusters thread.

At least some people are taking notice that Passengers is doing well in certain markets.  Particularly since this is a traditional dead week in China, Passengers is doing well there.

Sony's 'Passengers' dominates China's box office, just before deluge of Chinese films for Lunar New Year

1150x647

Heartthrob stars Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt helped Sony’s romantic space adventure “Passengers” dominate China’s box office last week, in the run-up to the Lunar New Year holiday, when vacationers flood theaters.

The pair are popular in China, and the film added $17.1 million to its gross of $34.5 million since opening Jan. 13, according to film industry consulting firm Artisan Gateway.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-china-box-office-20170124-story.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Will those Oscar noms get it over $100m? lol.

Yeah. It'll be at around 97-98m by the end of January. It will likely have enough gas in the tank to get over the hump during February especially considering Valentines  Day and Oscar awards. 

• Like 2

Watched this again today and paid special attention to the score this time. So beautiful! 

It obviously won't win but I absolutely think it deserves to be nominated.

I hate the bitchy comments from people who didn't even bother to watch the movie but have such firm opinions about how worthy it is for Oscar consideration.

• Like 6

Yeah, my girlfriend said it was a beautiful love story - and a fable and allegory for our whole lives - drifting through the emptiness on this spaceship called Earth - where destination is unreachable, and plans and purpose are no more than illusions, and all you can do is try grab a hold of the moment in your brief journey, find a meaning in it and live it the best way you can.

That's how love works. That's how life works.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Yeah, my girlfriend said it was a beautiful love story - and a fable and allegory for our whole lives - drifting through the emptiness on this spaceship called Earth - where destination is unreachable, and plans and purpose are no more than illusions, and all you can do is try grab a hold of the moment in your brief journey, find a meaning in it and live it the best way you can.

a 'Waiting for Godot' analysis. Nice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shayhiri said:

I just wish the writer/director had done a better job bringing these themes out, but they were definitely an implicit part of the story. Audiences can intuit the point even where critics could not. 

• Like 3