Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

That bullshit statement is far more pretentious than anything you accuse TDK of being.

The Dark Knight is a masterpiece of cinematic storytelling that is also based on comic book source material, it just happens to be more sophisticated and textured than other installments of the genre (e.g Marvel Studios).

Just because it doesn't adhere to the generic, stale stigmas that permeate the genre doesn't make it any less of a superhero/comic book film.  I could just as easily claim BTAS as not being a superhero show because the storytelling is more sophisticated or "pretentious" than "Superfriends"

No, TDK is a lame attempt at being an overly pretentious Michael Mann movie but with a man disguised as a ridiculous giant bat. That 9/11/Patriot Act on-the-nose reference. How could you be more pretentious and pompous?

I take Unbreakable over TDK any day if I want "realistic and gritty" superhero movie. TDK didn't invent anything. It just took Killing Joke comics and made a straight adaptation of its tone/characters and clowns like you think it was groundbreaking and broke out the mold by inventing whatever bullshit somehow. (Only if you're narrow minded and think only MCU's fun approach exists as a counterpart)

Unbreakable>>>x10000000000000000>>>>TDK

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

TDK is a brilliant, textured, character study, an epic crime drama, a high octane, adrenaline-pumping action film.  The themes are deep, thought provoking and profound.

Unbreakable is nothing more than a lifeless husk of a film with a ludicrous attempt at a twist that makes absolutely no sense.

TDK >>>>>>10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000X>>> M Night's entire cinematic career.

TDK trilogy IS Batman.  If Nolan's films = pretentious, then Batman, in general = pretentious

Edited by Squaremaster316

Apparently only "dark, gritty, whatever the terms" movies suppose to have deep themes now? I like TDK, but LOL, the level of pretentiousness and superiority complex of the Nolanites is really laughable. You know what, just because a movie is fun, just because it has humor, doesn't dismiss the message or the story it tell. I watched IM1 and see a story about redemption, of a man seeking to right the terrible wrongs he caused. Or Captain America, the story about courage and bravery, about sense of responsibility and spirit that surpassed physical limitations. And many more in the world of superhero movies.You don't see them, or refuse to acknowledge them due to your stupid preconceived hatred, then fine, but acting like snobs and above others cause they prefer something other than your blind worshipping of whatever movies is just pathetic.

• Like 3

I found it entertaininjg too, it's just two main problems - too much action and too little emotion (if they wanted a light-hearted actioner, why let Pepper die?) and - more galling - the idiocy of his hidden army of suits (10 minutes to go - how do we get him out of this mess - no idea let's just say he's got a hidden bunker somewhere with lots of suits which he has completely forgotten about). It's as if in Star Wars, after the rebels' first fighters went down during the final attack, the rebels' leaders declared that now they had to use the hidden bomb one of their agents had smuggeled into the Death Star. And boom ...

She didn't die.  And you realize he had been working on the suits since the events of The Avengers? I mean it shows him right in the beginning of the movie making a bunch of suits because he can't sleep. Come on.

Apparently only "dark, gritty, whatever the terms" movies suppose to have deep themes now?

You know what, just because a movie is fun, just because it has humor, doesn't dismiss the message or the story it tell.

That is a pretentious statement for two reasons:

1)  I never said that a good film that's smartly written couldn't also have moments of humor and levity, but there's only so far one can go with them before they end up undercutting the dramatic aspects when the film requires us to be more emotionally invested and, at times (not always, mind you) preventing the themes from being fully explored.  You can't take a serious theme and shove it into the background for "humor for the sake of humor", otherwise, they're no longer themes, but just random thoughts that aren't given enough time to develop.

2) You seem to be insinuating that the TDK trilogy was completely devoid of humor.  Just because the humor was more subtle (Loitering mode on the Batmobile), has a cool, dry, sophisticated wit("my wife?" "I suggest you buy American", "new rules in the pool area" "Like a submarine"), and, dare I say, DARK (Pencil gag, hospital remote malfunctioning, "S"laughter), and took a backseat to the drama, doesn't mean it lacks in being humorous.

It simply doesn't cram the comedy down our throats or litter it with crap like this:

• Like 2

That is a pretentious statement for two reasons:1) I never said that a good film that's smartly written couldn't also have moments of humor and levity, but there's only so far one can go with them before they end up undercutting the dramatic aspects when the film requires us to be more emotionally invested and, at times (not always, mind you) preventing the themes from being fully explored. You can't take a serious theme and shove it into the background for "humor for the sake of humor", otherwise, they're no longer themes, but just random thoughts that aren't given enough time to develop.2) You seem to be insinuating that the TDK trilogy was completely devoid of humor. Just because the humor was more subtle (Loitering mode on the Batmobile), has a cool, dry, sophisticated wit("my wife?" "I suggest you buy American", "new rules in the pool area" "Like a submarine"), and, dare I say, DARK (Pencil gag, hospital remote malfunctioning, "S"laughter), and took a backseat to the drama, doesn't mean it lacks in being humorous.It simply doesn't cram the comedy down our throats or litter it with crap like this:

1. Yeah, that's how you see them. To me, a lot of movies have the right amount of humor mix in with serious themes. I can still see the themes getting developed, I can still relate, identify with whatever messages the movies resonate. You don't, sure, fine.2. I didn't insinuating anything. I watched and enjoyed the type of humor in TDK just like I also watched and enjoy the different types of humor in MCU movies, Raimi's Spidey, Burton's Bat, X-Men, etc... You know, I'm sorry that I don't worship TDK trilogy like you, or able to enjoy and see how good the other superheroes movies are too. Too bad. :)
  • Like 1

1. Yeah, that's how you see them. To me, a lot of movies have the right amount of humor mix in with serious themes. I can still see the themes getting developed, I can still relate, identify with whatever messages the movies resonate. You don't, sure, fine.2. I didn't insinuating anything. I watched and enjoyed the type of humor in TDK just like I also watched and enjoy the different types of humor in MCU movies, Raimi's Spidey, Burton's Bat, X-Men, etc...You know, I'm sorry that I don't worship TDK trilogy like you, or able to enjoy and see how good the other superheroes movies are too. Too bad. :)

how not worship the best superhero trilogy (indisputably) and one of the best trilogies ever?

Also, in Squaremaster defense, I remember he loved X-Men, X2 and SM2.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

how not worship the best superhero trilogy (indisputably) and one of the best trilogies ever?Also, in Squaremaster defense, I remember he loved X-Men, X2 and SM2.

Easy, I don't think so. And no, even if they're all good, I'm not worshipping them. I simply enjoyed them :)

You've never read a Batman comics before Nolan's dull take like all pretentious Nolanites snobs. I can tell.

The worst kind of fanboy.

"I have to ask the author after reading this, do you even READ the comics and know/understand the difference between the comic series when it is presented as Batman the Cape Crusader and Batmen the Dark Knight? TBH, from your article, it is obvious you do not. Reading this was like reading something written by a person that their ONLY exposure to the comic was a very very very long time ago. The Dark Knight is NOT supposed to be light-hearted and fun, that is why it is called the DARK Knight. Seriously, check your source material a bit better. You are trying to compare apples and oranges in this article and all you are doing is showing you know very little about the 2 versions of Batman, Gotham City, the Joker, etc … as presented in the DIFFERENT styles of the comics they all appear in …"

I saw this comment in a article "15 reason why Burton's Bat is better than Nolan"

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

@ Goffe

I don't know what the hell does it got to do with what I was saying...Nolan didn't bring something really new and an original vision to Batman that he came with. It was lifted from Miller and Morrison's takes. (Actually, Burton also took inspiration into the same comics as Nolan, TDKR and Killing Joke, so he hardly adapted something that has never been touched upon, that "Dark and Gritty is the new cool" attitude).

But you only know that if you actually read the comics. Something that most Nolanites never ever bother to do even after Nolan's take since most of them are not even Batman fans at all, wrongfully thinking their almighty God invented that dark and gritty Batman...

But whatever if that helps you sleep at night.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Er.... this is the Iron Man 3 review thread, right?

Besides, if we're going to complain about any fanboys not having read the comics, then let's complain about the so-called 'Mandarin fans' who claim that IM3 is disrespecting the Mandarin, despite the fact that it's made clear that Aldrich is the MCU's version of the Mandarin which fits in with the modern day depiction of the Mandarin as a secretive and cunning businessman.

• Like 1