Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I found it entertaininjg too, it's just two main problems - too much action and too little emotion (if they wanted a light-hearted actioner, why let Pepper die?) and - more galling - the idiocy of his hidden army of suits (10 minutes to go - how do we get him out of this mess - no idea let's just say he's got a hidden bunker somewhere with lots of suits which he has completely forgotten about). It's as if in Star Wars, after the rebels' first fighters went down during the final attack, the rebels' leaders declared that now they had to use the hidden bomb one of their agents had smuggeled into the Death Star. And boom ...

To be fair, when exactly did he get the chance to use those suits?

If he used them when his house was attacked, they'd have been blown up before they made it out the hatch. He couldn't contact them when he was in the middle of nowhere because Jarvis was malfunctioning. He couldn't contact them while creeping into the Mandarin's mansion since that was about stealth and an army of robotic suits aren't exactly stealthy (and would likely cause the Mandarin to flee). And he couldn't contact them to rescue people from the plane since there wasn't time for them to arrive.  

I can't decide which was worse, this or Dark Knight Rises.

MOS  :P

But in all honesty, this was a pretty mediocre disappointing just like MOS. And just like MOS, the marketing presented a great film, but we got an okay one (again, in my opinion) (and if you're wondering how MOS's marketing lied, it's because it showed a film that's dramatic, but we got a punch fest)

Overall, I liked some parts, but hated some others

6.5/10 (same as MOS)

• Like 1

TDK has allowed me to appreciate Spiderman 2 and Batman Returns more. :wub:

I love Batman Returns. I see that the movie garnered rather divided opinions, but man, it's very rewatchable. For all the superheroes movies pre-Raimi Spidey, Batman Returns would be on the top of my list, maybe tied with Superman 78'.

One of the biggest reasons that I loved Batman Returns is the romance. It was handled very well. I feel that romance was often being portrayed poorly in comic book movies, so I'm often weary of them. But the romance in BR is one of my favorites, alongside Steve/Peggy and Peter/MJ in SM1.

• Like 1

I love Batman Returns. I see that the movie garnered rather divided opinions, but man, it's very rewatchable. For all the superheroes movies pre-Raimi Spidey, Batman Returns would be on the top of my list, maybe tied with Superman 78'.

One of the biggest reasons that I loved Batman Returns is the romance. It was handled very well. I feel that romance was often being portrayed poorly in comic book movies, so I'm often weary of them. But the romance in BR is one of my favorites, alongside Steve/Peggy and Peter/MJ in SM1.

Yeah, human emotions are very raw in Batman Returns.

I always loved how sexuality, bestiality and passion are all intertwined so well into a duality prism for the 3 three main characters. Notably the fact that Bruce and Selina seem to be so more attracted to each other when they're wearing their masks (multiplying their libido...Jung metaphors about "Persona aka the multiple masks we're wearing in society" there) that are actually their true inner selves. Or how sex (Eros) and death (Thanatos) are linked. See how Catwoman kills Max Shreck. With a kiss. She even says at one point: "But a kiss can be even deadlier if you mean it". That's why their love is condemned to be impossible. That's really clever and tragic.

It used to be my favourite superhero movie as a child and it still worked as I rediscover it with more adult experience. Lot of (naughty) psychological metaphors to be found about love, hatred and passion.

SM2 is my favourite because it's like Batman Returns but for teenagers (and less SM kinky imagery :P ).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

Three viewings later and this movie is still crazy amounts of fun. I think it's one of the best depictions of PTSD I've seen in entertainment recently.

I really like how they handle the PTSD aspect. It tied up well with the theme about Tony Stark's personal journey they went for. I found this article where they discussed the issues of PTSD not only in IM3 but throughout the whole IM trilogy pretty in-depth. It's rather interesting:

http://www.underthemaskonline.com/?p=352

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

TDK and for that matter it's lame 3rd sequel, TDKR weren't superhero movies techincally at all.. Nolan set out to make action dramas with less action and more pretentious bullshit to boot that just happened to involve characters running around in costumes and makeup set in a real world environment..

And people liked it.

Well, TDK made me appreciate Batman meets Scooby Doo even more!

Not because I think BmSD is a better film, but because TDK's gritty rendition of Batman makes it all the more fun to imagine him teaming up with Scooby Doo.  

Maybe because TDK is not a superhero movie, trying so hard to be anything else

That bullshit statement is far more pretentious than anything you accuse TDK of being.

The Dark Knight is a masterpiece of cinematic storytelling that is also based on comic book source material, it just happens to be more sophisticated and textured than other installments of the genre (e.g Marvel Studios).

Just because it doesn't adhere to the generic, stale stigmas that permeate the genre doesn't make it any less of a superhero/comic book film.  I could just as easily claim BTAS as not being a superhero show because the storytelling is more sophisticated or "pretentious" than "Superfriends"

Edited by Squaremaster316
  • Like 2

it just happens to be more sophisticated and textured than other installments of the genre (e.g Marvel Studios).

Just because it doesn't adhere to the generic, stale stigmas that permeate the genre doesn't make it any less of a superhero/comic book film

this. 100% this

• Like 2