Arthur Christmas

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Arthur Christmas

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Brilliant! I wasn't convinced by the trailer and indeed nothing from the trailer is in this movie!

Didn't get that great positive ratings from the critical aggregates websites but, boy is this a little gem!

Constantly and consistently funny with wit playing a bigger role than the slapstick that plagues American comedies.

I'd say it's even better than Rango this year. Sure it may not have as fantastic animation or that blast of a last half hour, but it's just so genial and charming, I can't wait to own it. Lovely, lovely surprise! Hope it goes on to better legs, for it does deserve it! I was a little scared it might go into genericalness with the "bad" guy and the "nice, but clumsy" guy storylines but it did very well to tightrope it through.

A

Arthur Christmas is another Aardman delight. The studio consistently releases animated films with a very British humor to them, and this is no exception. Notably better than their previous CGI-release, Flushed Away, it includes the necessary heart for a Christmas movie, with a truly charming company of main characters. McAvoy proves he has a knack for voice-acting, giving Arthur the perfect balance of bumbling and sweetness. The rest of the voice cast is just good, but to single any of them out would be unfair. The direction is serviceably good, allowing the wit and slapstick to coexist well. The score has a very pleasant main theme that fits the overall holiday spirit. The only issue with the film is that it’s already seeming dated in its depiction of the North Pole and the Santa mythos. Those willing to look past that will find that Arthur Christmas is a pleasant holiday animation with enough magic to coast by any perceived problems with it. B-

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The only issue with the film is that it’s already seeming dated in its depiction of the North Pole and the Santa mythos.

:lol:

Well it is! Prep and Landing did it too and I feel like both are forgotten by now or feel try-hard at points to be modern