Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

I think some people are going to be surprised @ just how big Thor 2 is gonna get. It's certainly gonna get a bigger Avengers boost than Cap bcos of how crazy many have gotten for Thorki.

Fair point in the first sentence--if any movie is going to see a major Avengers boost, so long as WOM is good, Thor stands to gain more percentage-wise.

lolz

Has Thorki mania really crawled out beyond the the depth of Tumblr or is it just a few thousand pervs on the internet pushing that agenda?

No friggin' way. That's a sure way to kill family interest in America--especially outside big cities.

So when I make my Pacific Rim over 4 Multiplier Club, you're in?

If you're basing it an opening of $60m or less...yep, probably. :)

Wow....everyone was out watching Avengers instead of posting on a message board.   :)

So what that does say about this weekend? ;)

For IM2 however, even though it was incredibly mediocre, It was less divisive than IM3 has been. 

I think that's pretty spot-on so far. Still an evolving thing, though.

I saw it a 2nd time today and when you know the twist, it really takes away from the repeat viewing factor.

I'm hoping I enjoy it more the second time since I expected a completely different 3rd act going in.

Actually there are three. The haters, the fanboys and the sane.

This, good sir!

Has anyone been saying it'll have long legs? I don't think there's a camp that's argued against short legs haha

The most I can see for legs is a 2.5 internal multiplier. Competitions are just too much, and TC/screen counts will be hit hard come Memorial Day.

• Founder / Operator

Has anyone been saying it'll have long legs? I don't think there's a camp that's argued against short legs haha

True. At this point, I think it's coming down to one question: $400 million or no?

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Nopity nope.

Agreed. I'm thinking a multiplier right in between IM2 and SM3 for the moment. I really am not seeing a definitive swing in terms of WOM yet, but at this point, I think most of us agree that even if IM3's WOM is a bit stronger than IM2 it will be the competition that negates that this time.

Ah, the fun of summer extrapolation. How I've missed thee.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Well, it's certainly not the 185-200M OW I predicted, but I'll take it for a movie that was damn good for a 3rd solo movie.. Now when do I change my signature since I lost or should I wait???

Respect.

• Like 1

Well, it's certainly not the 185-200M OW I predicted, but I'll take it for a movie that was damn good for a 3rd solo movie.. Now when do I change my signature since I lost or should I wait???

You don't really need to do that.

The most I can see for legs is a 2.5 internal multiplier. Competitions are just too much, and TC/screen counts will be hit hard come Memorial Day.

That and it loses IMAX in 2 weeks.

Probably. It's burned off more demand up-front.IM2 legs would still take it to 400M off a 165 weekend, by the way

I expect it to hit 167m this weekend and go under IM2 legs to about 380 or so.

I don't think it'll do worse than IM2's multiplier, even with all the competition. The virtue of it being a lot funnier is going to go a ways with audiences, IMO. Star Trek is seeming like weaker competition the closer we get to its release date, too.

See that's why I'm in the camp of short legs for the film. It has insane competition and even those who like it say it's good, not OMG this is the best movie ever!!!! There will be few repeat viewings and with this post we know another answer to BSG. 150 pages baby whoot!

The insane competition is more about its competitors between themselves than IM3 against them since it will have reached or nearly reach $300 millions domestic by the time STID comes into the picture (whatever its own reception) and will probably hit 1 billion ww, soon after, before FF6 is released.

And it's even worst for its competitors abroad, since FF6, HGIII , AE, STID (for non English speakon markets) and MOS, are all released nearly at the same time unlike IM3 that has 4 weeks abroad with no competition bar STID in the UK and Australia next week.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1