Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Surprising to see that the AMC Empire 25 in NY isn't showing Iron Man 3. If I remember correctly, I think TASM got nixed from that theater as well last year, or maybe it was another blockbuster.

I'd like to know how the E-Walk and Empire get their movies. 

Do you consider Smallville the cure for insomnia that Returns was?

Naw Oliver was hot, so I had eye candy to watch and Clark wasn't that bad either, though Oliver beats him in looks. When Oliver wasn't in it then yes it was a cure for insomnia.

The Heat and Grown Ups 2. Especially the latter. I haven't even heard a peep about it yet trailer views are extremely high and the trailer is extremely funny. I expect it to hit 200m.

The latter? Wow, I remember you dreading the release of the first Grown Ups.

I've pretty much given up on Sandler (late to the party, I know :lol:). The only future Sandler film I would definitely see is the one he was attached to with Will Ferrell. And that's been put on the back burner indefinitely because if I had to guess, it likely that Sandler is too chickenshit to team up with Ferrell, even though they seem to know each other.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Maybe The Purge? I don't know yet if it'll do as well as The Strangers, but it'd definitely qualify if it does.

The Purge is also being WAY underestimated. It'll make over 50m easy, if not 75 or higher. Edited by Mattrek

The Heat and Grown Ups 2. Especially the latter. I haven't even heard a peep about it yet trailer views are extremely high and the trailer is extremely funny. I expect it to hit 200m.

I'd be shocked if Grown Ups 2 does 200m. Sandler and co.'s BO appeal is only getting worse as they get older. I think it will crack 100m and fizzle out in that range of most of his newer movies.

I feel like Smallville started when I was in kindergarten and ended in my mid-twenties. That show was on for such a long time. Every year, I'd realize it was still on and go, "That's still on?"  :lol:

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to NYSM, but that After Earth move has me worried now about the former's breakout chances. In the same breath, I could see NYSE pulling a major upset and win the weekend. Highly unlikely, but, after two sci-fi-ish movies in May (Trek and IM3 to a lesser extent) plus Oblivion, I don't know if audiences will really be in the mood for another one. Smith or not.

If the focus of the film the was on Smith, I think it'd be guaranteed at least a $50m opening. But it's not; his son is clearly the star, which is a mistake, financially.

And given the director, there's a good chance WOM will negatively affect it over the weekend.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to NYSM, but that After Earth move has me worried now about the former's breakout chances. In the same breath, I could see NYSE pulling a major upset and win the weekend. Highly unlikely, but, after two sci-fi-ish movies in May (Trek and IM3 to a lesser extent) plus Oblivion, I don't know if audiences will really be in the mood for another one. Smith or not.

Which is ironic because NYSM originally moved to May 31st to get away from AE. :lol:

I hope Fast 6 doesn't have a problem against IM and ST since it's not sci-fi, unless we consider their physics-defying stunts sci-fi-ish. :lol:

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

I feel like Smallville started when I was in kindergarten and ended in my mid-twenties. That show was on for such a long time. Every year, I'd realize it was still on and go, "That's still on?"  :lol:

It's not like the WB/CW had much competition for air space. All of their shows run for eternity. One Tree Hill is still on for Christs sake! :lol:

It's not like the WB/CW had much competition for air space. All of their shows run for eternity. One Tree Hill is still on for Christs sake! :lol:

I miss the days of Buffy. I miss Sarah Michelle Gellar and the days of having the biggest crush on her.

• Like 1

The latter? Wow, I remember you dreading the release of the first Grown Ups.I've pretty much given up on Sandler (late to the party, I know :lol:). The only future Sandler film I would definitely see is the one he was attached to with Will Ferrell. And that's been put on the back burner indefinitely because if I had to guess, it likely that Sandler is too chickenshit to team up with Ferrell, even though they seem to know each other.

I was definitely against the film, but I watched it and it was just brilliant. I gave it an A-. The new film doesn't seem from the trailer to be a rehash of everything in the first, it actually seems to be a standalone film and the trailer is hilarious. Not to mention the fact that there's going to be HUGE demand for a comedy this summer since I think other then the heat and this is the end (both 75-100) there'll be no films to satisfy that audience. I always take 1-2 films that's out of line with most on here and Grown Ups 2 and The Purge are my 2 breakout films this summer.

I was definitely against the film, but I watched it and it was just brilliant. I gave it an A-. The new film doesn't seem from the trailer to be a rehash of everything in the first, it actually seems to be a standalone film and the trailer is hilarious. Not to mention the fact that there's going to be HUGE demand for a comedy this summer since I think other then the heat and this is the end (both 75-100) there'll be no films to satisfy that audience. I always take 1-2 films that's out of line with most on here and Grown Ups 2 and The Purge are my 2 breakout films this summer.

I am very hesitant about Grown Ups 2. It just never feels different when he has the same guys again and few or no different guys.

At least his one with Drew Barrymore coming up has Joel McHale.

Edited by Jay Beezy

I miss the days of Buffy. I miss Sarah Michelle Gellar and the days of having the biggest crush on her.

Yeah Sarah Michelle Gellar was/is a babe. She was easily the best part of Scooby Doo, that ain't saying much though.

I'd be shocked if Grown Ups 2 does 200m. Sandler and co.'s BO appeal is only getting worse as they get older. I think it will crack 100m and fizzle out in that range of most of his newer movies.

The 1st was well received as shown with its 4x multiplier. People continually underestimate Sandlers GA appeal. He's still extremely popular and the DVD sales for the 1st were very impressive. Not to mention the trailer is funny, the trailer views are high with almost no advertising started and the comedy genre this summer is mostly bleak. All signs point to a break out for me.

Yeah Sarah Michelle Gellar was/is a babe. She was easily the best part of Scooby Doo, that ain't saying much though.

She's also now a MILF. :D

She was the star on a CW show last year that didn't last a season. But now she's playing father-daughter with Robin Williams in a new CBS comedy.

Edited by Jay Beezy

I am very hesitant about Grown Ups 2. It just never feels different when he has the same guys again and few or no different guys.At least his one with Drew Barrymore coming up has Joel McHale.

Have you seen the trailer for it? I think you may change your mind after watching.
  • Like 1