A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Interesting day, a few races shaping up. Body, looking to be down from yesterday, losing steam to Hotspot bumping 30%. Zoo looking to triple up and beat Bvs and both of them to overtake Bro, also could decline from yesterday. if their evening holds up. The day in total may only bump 25-33% compared to last years 70% and be just a few percent ahead.

Sales at 1500

Bodyguard. 23m       45-50
Hotpot.        22          45-50

Zoo.             20           27-33

BVS              16           27-33

Sleep bro     13           23-26

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Because BvS is bad.

I watched it. It was not bad at all. A little messy at the front but the 2nd hour is good. Anyway it isn't really flopping im China just below most expectations...

3 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeah.

I mean, who would have seen that coming?

Months ago, everyone was like "BvS" wins the March, WW-wise...... No doubt about it". Now, it looks like Zootopia would take the cake instead.

I guess no one can predict this.

I only know that Zootopia would beat Big Hero 6 when the first weekend ends…Now it has a chance to beat Avengers 2,becoming Disney's highest grossing of all time in China.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

How will Civil War fare?

I hope it does not get the same fate ... 

There is a great deal of 1-1.5b expectations but most are falling into the 600-900m camp. Just don't know until its received.  All that were thought to have a chance have failed the 1b mark since JW and the 500m hopeful ended up nailing it.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 5:56 PM, Olive said:

You think Qingming 2016 will decrease from last year? LOL :sadben:

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:41 PM, Olive said:

Presales are misleading, since we don't know the percentage of discount tickets.

Qingming 2015((Sat -Mon):

Friday -108M

Saturday - 179M

Sunday - 198M

Monday - 145M

I think 2016 will increase at least 30% from 2015. Nope flat to down

Estimates       Total       MShare      SShare

Bodyguard     52m      26.7%      26.2%
Hotpot.           46         24.1          22.6

Zoo.                32         16.8            9.8        Back above OD

BVS                 28         14.7          10.2

Sleep bro        23         11.6          19.7

Body and Bro didn't bump. I guess if BvS bumping 20% last saturday is awful, then flat is? Lets just say below 50 feet of crap

Bvs and Zoo's market share handily out performed their show share

Zoo leads presales for tomorrow. Maybe people think its the last day, bump. Body and Bro not looking to bump tomorrow again.

QM holiday weekend is shaping up to be flat or down a bit to last year with B&B fading

Next weeks only release, LHF, will likely be a tad shy  of FF7s OWeek(Sun-Thu) of 1B which went on to make 2B+ in April.

April is shaping up to be the first real down month in more that a decade. Possibly down 1B or -25% from last year, negating Marches gains. With a tough June and July to beat. we could see a flat 5 months. Perhaps a sign for the beginning of the end of 10 years of massive growth.

9 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Because BvS is bad.

Oh, so you're happy about China rejecting BvS, because you thought it was bad?

Weak argument. You assume that you don't want a certain blockbuster to succeed....because it's just bad to you. Sounds like a childish non-definable argument by you.

Now i know, why you're called "Mojoguy". I really can't take you and some of your points seriously.

What happened if you wanted the same thing on other blockbusters, coming up? CA: CW? Finding Dory? TMNT2? Independence Day 2? Bourne 5?

Would you be happy if they underperformed like you expected? Lol

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

So Satrurday daily box office is only 210m, barly beat last year's 175m. Last year, the four day QM weekend was 620m (105m, 175m, 195nm, 145m); three day holiday  515m (175m, 195nm, 145m).

This year S-S-M will be only 560m or so, a minor 8% increase...

The QM releases are too weak: Bodyguard, Bro, terrible reviews; Hotpot, under marketed.

This year, local films are very weak, except for Mermaid (an exeception), and maybe a coule October holiday releases. The expected low (relatively, maybe 30%) YOY increase of 2016 has the most to do with a weak slate of local films, not because the market cooling down. No worry, next year will be full blood resurrection.

For April, even if Jungle Book makes 1.5B, Apr would still be unsavable... as the first half month is poised to be very dead, just like the last days of March.

But April cann't be  "the first real down month in more that a decade", not even close. Period decrease happens once in a while. Just a few examples out of my mind:

Jan 2010 ---- 1210m

Jan 2011 ---- 1080m

Dec 2012 ---- 2560m

Dec 2013 ---- 2120m

Jul 2011 ---- 1520m

Jul 2012 ---- 1430m

Aug 2011 ---- 1550m

Aug 2012 ---- 1440m (summer 2012, June-Aug, as a whole, was a down actually)

Apr 2013 ---- 1800m

Apr 2014 ---- 1820m

In the last six years alone, at least Jan, Feb, Apr, Jul, Aug, Dec all have seen 'downs'.

Important box office slots at CBO have all seen 'down' or 'flat' YOY: May holiday (2014), Chinese New year holiday (2011), Christmas-New Year holiday (2011), October holiday (2011), Dragon Boat Festival (2012), Qingming Festival (2016), summer 2012, winter 2013.

It happens when the openers are weak.

Mino slots like V day, Qixi, Women's Day, Children's D, Mooncake Day ... also have been down.

World is  not ending ....

As for sub 10% Month to month increase, that's common.

in CBO, June-Aug = summer, Mar-May = Spring, Sep-Nov = Fall, Dec-Feb = Winter

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Sam said:

Is The Mermaid any good? Worth checking out?

Are you a Stephen Chow's fan? If not, maybe it's weird to you. 

Do you (non-Asian) feel easy reading subtitle? 

Don't expect to see amazing action scenes, it's not superhero movie, it's all about rom-com & comedy always lost in translation.

Of course I love it. But I prefer Monster Hunt. 

Spoiler

I watched it 2 times & yes, it worths the price. But I'm a die hard fan of Stephen Chow.

Edited by Lihongkim
  • Like 1