baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Couple questions.

Why did Admiral Marcus want to fire the 72 torpedoes containing Khan's people into the Klingon home world? Did he know the torpedoes contained Khan's people.Also, Why not just incinerate Khan's people seeing how dangerous they are?

Marcus wanted to fire the torpedoes toward Khan's location which was meant to be an abandoned part of Kronos. I believe he wanted to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Kill Khan with the torpedoes which would at the same time kill his people.

And considering Marcus knew who he was dealing with, incinerating his people would make an already psychotic superhuman even more so. Presumably putting them in the torpedoes creates a point of leverage, which is why he surrendered.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

Couple questions.

Why did Admiral Marcus want to fire the 72 torpedoes containing Khan's people into the Klingon home world? Did he know the torpedoes contained Khan's people?Also, Why not just incinerate Khan's people seeing how dangerous they are?

Don't burden yourself with these secrets of scary people.

Anyone else get goose pimply when Spock yelled "KHAAAAANNNN!!!!"?

Or is it just me?

But seriously, the thing I love about Abrams' take is no matter how many wrenches get thrown into the works of the original mythos, they always end up fulfilling their ultimate destinies(even if it's way earlier in their lives). I think this film continues that superbly. And the critics who say it's too much like Star Trek can kiss my spider-ass.

• Like 3

It was amazing. The cast, the direction, everything; it’s on par with the amazing original. J.J. Abrams has made the perfect sequel; the first must-see of the year. The original cast is great, even though I would’ve liked more McCoy. Cumberbatch and Weller are freaking amazing.The action, the humor, the emotion. Just everything about the film is amazing. Best film of the year by far. A+

• Like 1

Marcus wanted to fire the torpedoes toward Khan's location which was meant to be an abandoned part of Kronos. I believe he wanted to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Kill Khan with the torpedoes which would at the same time kill his people. And considering Marcus knew who he was dealing with, incinerating his people would make an already psychotic superhuman even more so. Presumably putting them in the torpedoes creates a point of leverage, which is why he surrendered.

Khan put them in the torpedoes in an attempt to smuggle them away from Marcus.

I've never seen a Star Trek movie before the '09 version (one of my pop culture blindspots) so take this as you will. 

On the surface, it's almost fine. Abrams has always been great with creating individual sequences, and there are sequences in STID that are shot wonderfully and are genuinely exciting and engaging... the opening volcano scene immediately comes to mind. It would have been nicer if things were less frantic, because the best parts of the movie for me were simply how Kirk and Spock (and Kirk and Bones, who just like in Trek '09 was my favorite character of the movie) bounce off each other. Kirk's journey is all quite familiar, and it doesn't feel like he really learned much by the end (even when he's brought back from the dead), but hey, the cast works together solidly. Abrams definitely knows what makes this ensemble tick. It's a very pretty movie, Giacchino's work is solid, and Benedict Cumberbatch has a couple of great moments, particularly cracking the admiral's skull in front of his daughter, which was easily the most effective moment in the film. 

But my god, the script is crap, especially after the Khan reveal. Silly, nonsensical, and overcomplicated. Does everything Kurtzman and Orci touch turn to stupid? Cumberbatch, as much as he tries, is totally let down by the character. He's a generic villain with a good punch and a chilling voice. He explains his entire plan to everybody (as does the evil admiral, who himself is basically a B-movie villain throughout), he kicks a few people, and mostly just stands around. He has no discernible compelling motivation as a character and his not-death feels incredibly cheap. 

The plot is a mess too. What's Alice Eve's purpose in the movie besides taking her shirt off for no apparent reason? Literally any other existing crew member could have served her part. Was it because she was in Wrath of Khan? And if Khan is super-strong, how the hell does Spock immediately subdue him when Uhura says they need to keep him alive to bring Kirk back to life? Why do they need Khan's blood in the first place if they have 72 other superhumans on board the Enterprise with magic blood that could revive Kirk? This is more a character decision than a plothole, but you're telling me it never crossed Bones' mind to do that? 

There were a ton of contrivances/coincidences that passed through my mind when nothing interesting was happening, which was far too often. The film raises no real stakes, there's nothing new the characters learn, there's nothing that feels gained or lost since the end of the movie is exactly the same as the first movie's. The writers don't try anything interesting here. But I think the movie knows it's stupid. There's a lot with characters like Spock and Scotty running around saying that Kirk is making stupid, out of character decisions, as if the writers are telling the audience that they know what they're doing doesn't work, but they're asking them to come along for the ride anyway. 

Dramatically, the movie is hit and miss. Logically, the movie totally fails. The writers have such little faith in characters actively figuring out things for themselves that Spock has to call Spock Prime to ask if Khan is a bad guy? Give me a break.

6/10 

• Like 7

Every indication pointed to Cumberbatch playing Khan, so the reveal midway through the film did absolutely nothing for me. Seemed like a lot of unnecessary wasted time, which could be said about half of this movie, really. It's not quite Iron Man 2 but it's almost there. 

To each their own, I suppose. I loved it. Gopher, I respect your opinion about most movies immensely (for real), so can you tell me why  Iron Man 3 is so much better than this? I'm curious, because our ratings for the two movies are flipped. 

• Like 3

Every indication pointed to Cumberbatch playing Khan, so the reveal midway through the film did absolutely nothing for me. Seemed like a lot of unnecessary wasted time, which could be said about half of this movie, really. It's not quite Iron Man 2 but it's almost there.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU LATELY?
  • Like 2

Cmasterclay- it's pretty simple for me. Iron Man 3 totally subverted my expectations and STID both played into them and underwhelmed them. I went back to see IM3 again this week and I have no desire to see STID again (and I've seen Trek '09 4-5 times). I don't think it's a bad movie, just a problematic one. There's some great moments and some absolutely terrible/illogical moment. So my grade is somewhere in between.

Edited by Gopher

I get you. I guess it's all a matter of expectations and perceptions. I thought Iron Man 3, while an objectively good movie, played more like a farce comedy with no emotional weight or gravitas. Even the most illogical moments in this movie at least tried to be serious and compelling- even Pepper's death scene in Iron Man ended with a lame gag.  And even if this was underwritten, at least Cumberbatch knocked his screentime out of the park, while Kingsley played more like an Ace Ventura villain.  But again, to each their own!

• Like 1

Cmasterclay- it's pretty simple for me. Iron Man 3 totally subverted my expectations and STID both played into them and underwhelmed them. I went back to see IM3 again this week and I have no desire to see STID again (and I've seen Trek '09 4-5 times). I don't think it's a bad movie, just a problematic one. There's some great moments and some absolutely terrible/illogical moment. So my grade is somewhere in between.

Srsly, gtfo