baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I get you. I guess it's all a matter of expectations and perceptions. I thought Iron Man 3, while an objectively good movie, played more like a farce comedy with no emotional weight or gravitas. Even the most illogical moments in this movie at least tried to be serious and compelling- even Pepper's death scene in Iron Man ended with a lame gag.  And even if this was underwritten, at least Cumberbatch knocked his screentime out of the park, while Kingsley played more like an Ace Ventura villain.  But again, to each their own!

And I think there is emotional merit to Tony's decision to get rid of Iron Man at the end of the movie, and I think that Kingsley playing an Ace Ventura villain was kind of the point given that there was no alter ego for Tony to fight... ah, whatever, the movie worked better for me than you. And Star Trek didn't. :) 

I'm surprised you'd give an A to a movie you think was underwritten, however..

I don't think the film as a whole was underwritten, particularly the first half. Khan as a character was a bit, but maybe that's just because Cumberbatch was so great that I wanted more. I do believe the climax, after the cut to black, was rushed, and it almost dipped it down to an A- for me. I didn't have the problems with Spock beating up Khan that most people did- it made sense to me that this was the first time Spock had let his true rage be showcased, and it displayed just how intelligent and strong and dangerous he was when he wasn't in control of his very human emotions. 

Tele- You're right about emotional connection, but I didn't love a Marvel movie until the Avengers (IM1 is good but I'm not over the moon about it), so IM3 was a nice surprise. Sure, it's a flawed movie, but the story doesn't fall apart when you deconstruct it like STID's does. Um, in my opinion, of course..

Edited by Gopher

Tele- You're right about emotional connection, but I didn't love a Marvel movie until the Avengers (IM1 is good but I'm not over the moon about it), so IM3 was a nice surprise. Sure, it's a flawed movie, but the story doesn't fall apart when you deconstruct it like STID's does. Um, in my opinion, of course..

See, I feel the reverse, but that's OK.  :arms:

• Like 2

Just got back from it a while ago and I have to say that in some ways I found it better than the first one and worse in other ways. First off Cumberbatch is terrific, but with a better script he could have been on the level of Bane/Joker if he had been given some really good lines. The only memorable line from him was when he said "I am Khan". But still a fairly strong villain. The supporting cast was also great but I felt they should have gotten a little more screen time. I also enjoyed the action scenes more in this one, the first one felt a little skimpy on the big action scenes and this one definitely went more all out. I also found the humor fairly enjoyable, almost as much as IM3 which was a big surprise. But unfortunately the film is also fairly muddled and it did seem to jump around too much which is what's stopping me from thinking it was an improvement on the first one.

A-

• Like 1

Very funny/totally accurate: http://raktajino-hot.tumblr.com/post/50460496375/baking-with-jj-abrams

Baking with JJ Abrams

Person: JJ, I want you to make some chocolate chip cookies.JJ: [Returns several hours later with an apple pie mashed into a cookie box]Person: … this is an apple pie mashed into a cookie box.JJ: No, it’s chocolate chip cookies. Made for people like me, who hate chocolate!Person: Look, I don’t care whether you personally hate chocolate… though it does make me question why you took this job. I asked you to make chocolate chip cookies. Not pie. Why is this difficult?JJ: It’s not just me, though! Chocolate chip cookies have to appeal to the masses, and some of the masses don’t like chocolate!Person: That’s fine, they can eat other things. I want you to make chocolate chip cookies anyway.JJ: But they’ll never sell! I’m revitalizing the brand by doing this!Person: What?? Chocolate chip cookies are one of the most popular cookies in existence! I wanted you to make a new batch— maybe add your personal twist, whatever, I’m not that picky. But you weren’t supposed to throw out the entire idea!JJ: Well, I think the public wants chocolate chip cookies with more apple pie.Person: Pretty sure “the public” actually wants a variety of well-made and distinctive pastries to choose from. But more importantly, there are people who specifically want chocolate chip, and you gave them apple pie!JJ: I’m not making chocolate chip cookies for the people who already like them.Person: You’re not making chocolate chip cookies for anyone at all!JJ: Sure I am! I’m making them for people who like apple pie!Person: No! You’re making apple pie for people who like apple pie!JJ: I don’t know what you’re talking about. They’re chocolate chip cookies. It says so on the box. I even made clever references to older chocolate chip cookie boxes! So people who liked chocolate chip cookies in the past will appreciate that.Person: The box top just has a pair of boobs printed on it.JJ: That’s sexy. Sexy things sell. Chocolate chips are sexy. Do you hate boobs?Person: … I don’t even know where to start with that. Um. Look, this isn’t even very tasty apple pie. I mean, some pieces are good, but others taste like curdled milk. What the hell?JJ: But you DO think part of it is good!Person: Sure! Good for being apple pie! After I pick out all the gross bits! BUT IT’S STILL NOT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES.JJ: Well, it’s still an improvement on the chocolate chip cookies they were making half a century ago!Person: Excuse me? No. No, it’s really not. Wow. You are the worst. I’m never going to pay you for baking anything again.JJ: Whatever, elitist diehard chocolate chip fan. Get a life.

• Like 2

Thursday was my first introduction to Star Trex. I went out early Thursday afternoon to the video store and rented the 2009 Star Trex. After watching the movie and loving it so much, I went straight to the theater to go see Into Darkness. I loved both movies so much that I want to go back and watch the original tv series and films. 

• Like 1

I liked the movie it was nothing special like Man 3 but ti was enjoyable.  Cumberbatch does a great job but felt under used in the film and never felt like a threat. The script was weak and I did not whole Kirk dies thing. 

7/10

Thursday was my first introduction to Star Trex. I went out early Thursday afternoon to the video store and rented the 2009 Star Trex. After watching the movie and loving it so much, I went straight to the theater to go see Into Darkness. I loved both movies so much that I want to go back and watch the original tv series and films. 

Watch THE WRATH OF KHAN and you'll pick up on a bunch of riffs from STID.

• Like 2

After that first sentence I thought you were going to say STID was your first experience of Star Trek.

It's alright. Cumberbatch is absolutely fantastic but let down completely by the script. There was all-time potential there gone to waste, his resolution is really, really unsatisfying IMO and his big reveal is so deflated.

Pretty much this.  Maybe I had my hopes up too high for this movie, but I just felt it was lacking from the first in many ways. I don't know why everyone thinks they have to copy Nolan and put all of these twist things in movies.  Hey Hollywood, a good old fashioned good-guy, bad-guy flick still works - check out Avengers!  Oh, and lets put "dark" in the title somewhere because that's all the rage to.  End Rant!

Anyway the movie was pretty good, I'll have to watch at least once more to see if it improves on subsequent viewings.  I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10 for now.

Overall I really enjoyed this film. It moved at a brisk pace and there was more than enough action and genuine character moments to make this a worthy and entertaining addition to the Star Trek franchise, though I have to admit some disappointment that Khan ended up being just another one-note villain as opposed to the intriguing reimagining of him as an anti-hero I thought they might be going for as I was watching the film. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Overall I really enjoyed this film. It moved at a brisk pace and there was more than enough action and genuine character moments to make this a worthy and entertaining addition to the Star Trek franchise, though I have to admit some disappointment that Khan ended up being just another one-note villain as opposed to the intriguing reimagining of him as an anti-hero I thought they might be going for as I was watching the film. 

When I think about it, it's almost weird for Quinto Spock to consult Nimoy Spock about Khan. It's akin to Quinto Spock literally watching the Trek episodes with Khan and Wrath of Khan (without seeing the ending) to find out that Khan isn't trustworthy, which gives him a means to change the outcome of events.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1