baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

0/3 so far this summer.  IM3 was ok, GG was horrible and STID is not much better.  This film just seems like a bunch of noise.  People are running around frantically, always bustling to do something, but most of the time, it's just a bunch of static.  I didn't understand Khan's motivation, or Pike's.  People just seem to do things in here because they need a reason to spend money on the film.  

Bones just seemed like a caricature of the television Bones and Scotty is always panicking.  

The film did nothing for me, it was watching Cutthroat Island...all action and no substance.

5/10

My thoughts exactly.

Haven't watched GG, but so far this is now 0/2 for me for big blockbusters so far this year.

This movie confirms to me what a completely hack director Abrams is.

This is exactly what Into Darkness felt to me as well. Just a bunch of noise and static on screen. The visuals were decent, the score was decent, the moments between the main cast were good. That's it. The plot itself was useless, the writing was bad, some of the acting was bad, the cinematography was terrible, all the constant lens flares and randomly zooming into action scenes really pissed me off. Overall the direction of the film was a mess, the score was really random in terms of the scenes it fit into, and it pissed me off to see things constantly blowing up or people running around for no reason. Just so much noise.

I really felt no emotion or connection to this film. I liked Star Trek 09, but this I did not. Also Bana as the villain in ST09 I felt was better than Cumbernatch as Khan. Bana at least was an original villain in ST09, while Khan here was a lame rehash of the original Khan from Star Trek II.

It's a good thing that I had a free ticket to see this garbage, because I had no intention of paying to watch this. My anticipation and expectations were very low, and they were accurate.

Overall I rate this at a C-. This was worse than the highly disappointing IM3.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 2

Loved it!

Not quite as good as ST09, but the movie was just so damned entertaining (people saying it fell flat or was boring? I think they accidently went into the wrong screen :P). 

To the person/s that said that those who loved Wrath of Khan won't like this. You're wrong (at least from my POV). I love Khan (best ST film, seen it a million times) and it in no way prevented me from enjoying this.

Also don't understand those saying that the film carried no emotional weight. I was rather moved by Pike's death and even more so by the Kirk 'death' scene, even whilst kinda knowing what was about to happen. To be fair I expect some of that has something to do with my attachment to the characters/franchise.

It's not perfect though. As others have said the script lets it down in many places (some of the jokes fell a bit flat). Also whilst I loved a lot of the references to the older films, overall they went a bit too far in that respect (probably could have done without Nimoy).

But the characters are so well acted (Cumberbatch was frikkin fantastic) and so much fun, and the direction so assured, that the flaws don't really matter.

8.0/10

A-

Grade: A- 

I found the film to a resounding fun ride. The dynamic of the cast and finding a way for Scotty to be involved outside Engineering was excellent. Addressing how Uhura and Spock work, or aren't working, as a couple was...fascinating. The nods throughout the film were nice easter eggs for long time Trek fans: The Mudd Incident, A Tribble,  Daystrom Institute, Section 31, Sulu sitting in the big chair and of course Nimoy's Spock cameo. 

So once the film reveals it is indeed doing it's on spin on Wrath of Khan I settle in for the ride a bit differently. It's weird cause I totally stopped thinking about the movie I'm watching and now analyzing what is being done differently...for the sake of being different. This would bite me when Kirk dies....I was resigned to the fact that the next film would now be "The Search for Kirk"....my normally attentive thought process during a movie went away. I actually thought about what other Eco/Endangered Animal angle they might dare for their take on Voyage Home. I kinda zoned for a minute or so.  I had let the Khan's blood angle pass me by as just being a nod to throwing a tribble at us. 

I really liked it and think it will stabilize with some decent legs over the next few weeks. Will likely try it one more time in June which doesn't have as many "must sees" for me. 

I also really enjoyed it...and I am wondering if you think any Star Trek fans are bothered by the re-imaging of the past Star trek universe.....Me myself, I am fine with it....

PS. I only read the last 2 pages, but Scotty & Checkov always add to the enjoyment of the movies with Kirk & Uhura & then Spock....

I also really enjoyed it...and I am wondering if you think any Star Trek fans are bothered by the re-imaging of the past Star trek universe.....Me myself, I am fine with it....

PS. I only read the last 2 pages, but Scotty & Checkov always add to the enjoyment of the movies with Kirk & Uhura & then Spock....

Most aren't bothered. If you head over to Trek BBS you will see that the vast majority of fans love the new instalments.

As usual it's a vocal minority that don't.

• Like 1

^^^^

You at Trek BBS as well? 

Most do like it, there is one or two guys over there Kirk555555 and Warped9(I think it's him) who lead he pack of hate on the new installments. 

In the big picture of things fandom should, imo, see this as just another alternate universe. Not unlike the popular Mirror,Mirror universe which is really the only alternate one the franchise has focused. Just using the TNG episode 'Parallels" alone is enough to justify this current path. With Nimoy Spock here, is it any radically different than when our "Trek Prime" characters go into the Mirror, Mirror universe and then come back? I'm curious if they have a plan to get back to "Trek Prime" via any mechanism once this cast has concluded. I can't imagine more than 4-5 films with them and I hate to say this, Nimoy or Shatner(I know they wanted to use him already) aren't getting any younger for those cameos. 

• Like 2

^^^^You at Trek BBS as well?

I visit from time to time, especially around big events like this. Only lurking though. :ph34r:  

Most do like it, there is one or two guys over there Kirk555555 and Warped9(I think it's him) who lead he pack of hate on the new installments. In the big picture of things fandom should, imo, see this as just another alternate universe. Not unlike the popular Mirror,Mirror universe which is really the only alternate one the franchise has focused. Just using the TNG episode 'Parallels" alone is enough to justify this current path. With Nimoy Spock here, is it any radically different than when our "Trek Prime" characters go into the Mirror, Mirror universe and then come back? I'm curious if they have a plan to get back to "Trek Prime" via any mechanism once this cast has concluded. I can't imagine more than 4-5 films with them and I hate to say this, Nimoy or Shatner(I know they wanted to use him already) aren't getting any younger for those cameos.

Personally I am happy for them to (more or less) do what they like with the films, especially when the results are as fun and entertaining as what we have.

My main hope is that the critical and commercial success of Abrams Trek will lead to a new TV series being green-lit.

The question then becomes; would such a new series be set in the old universe or the new? The huge TNG and DS9 fan in me says old universe all the way. But the more calculating part of me says that if it is to have a chance at succeeding a new series must be set in the new universe. There is just too much baggage (in terms of lore) associated with 'old' trek. 

• Like 1

True. But if all they did was rehash, for the majority, the lore we already know with a fresh coast of paint in this Universe I'm not wholly cheerleading that either. At least Trek on TV is now again a viable discussion point.

Well if you see Captain Craig at TrekBBS...that's still me. Same Avatar etc. 

Edited by Captain Craig

• Community Manager

I went in here basically expecting a step-down from the first Star Trek and was pleasantly surprised to see a movie that was actually better.

I also felt that having watched a significant portion of the original Star Trek series (including Space Seed) that I was able to appreciate a lot of the references, history, and just the general plot in a way I wouldn't have been able to without catching the original series.

In fact the only criticism I have of this movie (and the reboot franchise in general) is that the triumvirate of Bones, Kirk, and Spock doesn't really exist. I mean, Bones is in it and he plays a nice role in the movie but I think it speaks a lot when Uhura plays a bigger role than McCoy. Not that I don't mind a bigger role for Uhura.

A-

• Like 2

Sigh, place me in the dissapointment camp.

J.J. Abrams is a great director of atmosphere and character, especailly in Super 8, and this is where he does well here. All of the characters are well acted, and the film is visually dazzling. Benedict Cumberbatch is of course, wonderful, (I have a bit of a crush on him....) but his character was unfortunately diminished by the script.

This brings me to the big problem with the movie. Especially in the second act, the script is kind of a mess. It becomes excessively complicated after the Khan reveal, which is handled rather blandly, IMHO. Alice Eve feels more like a plot device at times, and her character could have easily been cut. (although she is quite some eye candy...) Also, The film feels too much like an homage to The Wrath Of Khan, which shows in Spock's incredibly forced yell of "KHAN!!!!!"

I still enjoyed it a bit, but the script needed some serious work.

B/B- (Probably closer to a B-)

• Like 6