baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

So... how long is Cumber on screen?

Not as long as you`d think from trailers. Doesn`t have much to do and his comic timing is utlizied only in one brief scene. I`d say he was completely underused thanks to the script that turned Khan into Bana Redux the way of Lector.

Edited by fishnets

Loved it!

Not quite as good as ST09, but the movie was just so damned entertaining (people saying it fell flat or was boring? I think they accidently went into the wrong screen :P). 

To the person/s that said that those who loved Wrath of Khan won't like this. You're wrong (at least from my POV). I love Khan (best ST film, seen it a million times) and it in no way prevented me from enjoying this.

Also don't understand those saying that the film carried no emotional weight. I was rather moved by Pike's death and even more so by the Kirk 'death' scene, even whilst kinda knowing what was about to happen. To be fair I expect some of that has something to do with my attachment to the characters/franchise.

It's not perfect though. As others have said the script lets it down in many places (some of the jokes fell a bit flat). Also whilst I loved a lot of the references to the older films, overall they went a bit too far in that respect (probably could have done without Nimoy).

But the characters are so well acted (Cumberbatch was frikkin fantastic) and so much fun, and the direction so assured, that the flaws don't really matter.

8.0/10

A-

• Like 1

I disagree he reminds me of Alan Rickman and will probably play villains rest of career

I don't think he would want to play villains for the rest of his career  :lol: Creepy or detached kinda role like Sherlock works though. 

• Like 1

I thought it was incredibly entertaining! Acting was great especially from Quinto and Cumberbatch. Visuals were amazing! Action was intense. Emotion was good, I thought the interaction between Spock and Kirk during the death scene was great. I didn't sense any confusion or messiness in the script. I thought the film hit it on the nail on all point.

I do agree that Abrams overuses lens flare though.

A+

Edited by StarSaber
  • Like 1

Meh, don't understand the complaints about lens flare. After about 5-10 minutes I don't even notice them anymore.

People only complain about it because they think they sound sophisticated by doing so but instead they just sound like idiots.No-one complains about it in a Speilberg movie. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

Star Trek '09 is better.

At what? 

Everything

https://soundcloud.com/boxofficepodcast/box-office-podcast-episode-11 (30:00 mark) 

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Worst scene in any movie this year:

Beep,beep,beep

Sulu: we have a contact with the New Vulcan!

Quinto: On the screen

Pause, black screen, blaring classic Trek score, screen slowly brightens to reveal Basil Exposition

Nimoy: Spok!

Quinto: Spok! Tell me, did you ever run into some dude named Khan during yours 1000 years old life?

Nimoy: Like I said in ST09, I don`t want to alter your fate. But, just like in ST09, I`m gonna alter your fate with more exposition. Khan is (dramatic pause) dangerous.

Quinto: No shit Sherlock. Like we didn`t think so when he blew up some building in London. Come to think of it, we didn`t think at all, hence why Kirk went sky diving with him.

Nimoy: Oops.

Quinto: So how did you dispose of this dangerous man that we couldn`t see was dangerous?

Nimoy: He`s very deceiving. Did you know he`s Indian?

Quinto: LOL?

Nimoy: Yep, complete deceiver.

Quinto: But you dodged my question.

Nimoy: Sigh.

Quinto: What does that mean?

Nimoy: It`s more for the audeince that is familar with non-AU storyline from Wraith of Khan which you are not.

Quinto: Mystery Box, eh.

Nimoy: Always.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 3

People only complain about it because they think they sound sophisticated by doing so but instead they just sound like idiots.No-one complains about it in a Speilberg movie.

How does complaining about it make one sound sophisticated?

Edited by StarSaber

Grade: A- 

I found the film to a resounding fun ride. The dynamic of the cast and finding a way for Scotty to be involved outside Engineering was excellent. Addressing how Uhura and Spock work, or aren't working, as a couple was...fascinating. The nods throughout the film were nice easter eggs for long time Trek fans: The Mudd Incident, A Tribble,  Daystrom Institute, Section 31, Sulu sitting in the big chair and of course Nimoy's Spock cameo. 

So once the film reveals it is indeed doing it's on spin on Wrath of Khan I settle in for the ride a bit differently. It's weird cause I totally stopped thinking about the movie I'm watching and now analyzing what is being done differently...for the sake of being different. This would bite me when Kirk dies....I was resigned to the fact that the next film would now be "The Search for Kirk"....my normally attentive thought process during a movie went away. I actually thought about what other Eco/Endangered Animal angle they might dare for their take on Voyage Home. I kinda zoned for a minute or so.  I had let the Khan's blood angle pass me by as just being a nod to throwing a tribble at us. 

I really liked it and think it will stabilize with some decent legs over the next few weeks. Will likely try it one more time in June which doesn't have as many "must sees" for me. 

• Like 1

I think lens flares are a little more distracting in 3D (at least, converted 3D) because it's a bit hard to figure out what their z-depth is. Where do they fit? Out in "front" of other objects? Somewhere in the middle, in front of some objects but not others? In 2D there's no problem at all.

• Like 2

I think lens flares are a little more distracting in 3D (at least, converted 3D) because it's a bit hard to figure out what their z-depth is. Where do they fit? Out in "front" of other objects? Somewhere in the middle, in front of some objects but not others? In 2D there's no problem at all.

That would explain it. I saw it in 2D.

• Like 1

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Worst scene in any movie this year:

Beep,beep,beep

Sulu: we have a contact with the New Vulcan!

Quinto: On the screen

Pause, black screen, blaring classic Trek score, screen slowly brightens to reveal Basil Exposition

Nimoy: Spok!

Quinto: Spok! Tell me, did you ever run into some dude named Khan during yours 1000 years old life?

Nimoy: Like I said in ST09, I don`t want to alter your fate. But, just like in ST09, I`m gonna alter your fate with more exposition. Khan is (dramatic pause) dangerous.

Quinto: No shit Sherlock. Like we didn`t think so when he blew up some building in London. Come to think of it, we didn`t think at all, hence why Kirk went sky diving with him.

Nimoy: Oops.

Quinto: So how did you dispose of this dangerous man that we couldn`t see was dangerous?

Nimoy: He`s very deceiving. Did you know he`s Indian?

Quinto: LOL?

Nimoy: Yep, complete deceiver.

Quinto: But you dodged my question.

Nimoy: Sigh.

Quinto: What does that mean?

Nimoy: It`s more for the audeince that is familar with non-AU storyline from Wraith of Khan which you are not.

Quinto: Mystery Box, eh.

Nimoy: Always.

Very nice; I did not like that scene either nor the tribble scene.  But the

Iron Man "reveal" was worse for me.

I will have very low expectations for Man of Steel just so I won't be disappointed.

Edited by Punishment

This movie could have been soooooo much more :(

Oh well, it definitely has its moments and I really enjoyed the character interaction.

"Are you giving me attitude Spock?"  :) :)

"I am expressing several attitudes, sir, to which are you referring?" :D

Edited by Punishment
  • Like 1