#ED

Weekend Estimates - (BO.com forums <3 RTH)

Is that from that Woody Allen movie?

Yep, Midnight in Paris the best movie ever. Tom Hiddleston was F. Scott Fitzgerald and Alison Pill was Zelda Fitzgerald

Yup, Hiddleston played F. Scott Fitzgerald in "Midnight in Paris", the man who would go on to pen The Great Gatsby. Which is why TGG being the movie to foil IM3's plan of total BO domination is so :rofl:

• Like 1

I don't really think Dark Shadows/Gatsby comparison is right. GA were already let unimpressed by Depp in Pirates 4, and reaction for last Burton/Depp offering, AiW, was mixed. DS didn't seem all that exciting from the trailers too.

Gatsby OTOH stars Leo, fresh off Inception/Django mega popularity and the book is one of the most popular American classics. Plus, Baz movie trailers are always neat and stylish. Gatsby overperforming shouldn't be used as a gauge for IM3 WOM at all. Leo is on a roll and GG capitalized on that nicely.

I see your point but Johnny was actually coming off 2 1 Billion WW films and they dropped 150 Million on that budget   They were obviously expecting "Dark Shadows" to be bigger.  Maybe and this is a hypothetical  maybe if it was a better received film it could of done better against The Avengers the same way Gatsby is doing against IM3 from Friday   But again that's a "What if".  I do agree that Leo is on a roll.  I wonder how well "Wolf on Wall St" can do this winter. Leo is like "What more do have to do to get a damn Oscar", lol.   I love how Leo keeps picking different and unique projects.  I don't think Leo or Denzel for that matter ever has done a sequel.  Deep was in that category before Pirates too. 

RDJ last weekend, Leo this weekend. Next weekend we'll get to see if Benedict Cumberbatch is a force outside of Tumblr, lol.

I'm just kidding trekkies-don't stone me.

• Like 1

Lord of the Flies just wasn't terribly well written, imo, and its not subtle at all  :lol:

LotF is such a hot mess.  :lol: But I guess if it weren't for Flies, there probably wouldn't have been Battle Royale, and in turn no The Hunger Games.

Of all these high school reads, the one I have forever been hoping for is a cyberpunk version of The Catcher in the Rye. Holden Caulfield is such love!  :wub: Make it happen, Edgar Wright or Wes Anderson!

yeah. That scene is tailor made for all of the Gatsby Box office Breakout stories going around. :lol:

Hey did you like the music in the movie? Was it jarring. Interesting choice to use the modern soundtrack. Sophia did something similar in Marie Antoinette when she used a rock soundtrack.

Hey did you like the music in the movie? Was it jarring. Interesting choice to use the modern soundtrack. Sophia did something similar in Marie Antoinette when she used a rock soundtrack.

I liked it. I thought that it was suitably Bazzy.

please, stop thinking that everyone else hates SM3 as you guys do

That's irrelevant. It had terrible legs in 2007. Those legs would be even worse today because frontloading gets worse and worse every year. That's a fact. Look up how blockbusters behaved 10 years ago and compare them to now.

RDJ last weekend, Leo this weekend. Next weekend we'll get to see if Benedict Cumberbatch is a force outside of Tumblr, lol.

I'm just kidding trekkies-don't stone me.

5/17 - Cumberbatch Pine

5/24 - Diesel, Johnson, Cooper

5/31 - Will Smith, Freeman

6/7 - Vaughn and Wilson

6/14 - Hollywood Stoners, Crowe, Coster, Lane

6/21 - Pitt, Goodman, Crystal

6/28 - McCarthy, Bullock, Tatum, Foxx

7/3 - OMG DEPP, Carrell

7/12 - Sandler and co.

This summer is so star studded!

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

LotF is such a hot mess.  :lol: But I guess if it weren't for Flies, there probably wouldn't have been Battle Royale, and in turn no The Hunger Games.

Of all these high school reads, the one I have forever been hoping for is a cyberpunk version of The Catcher in the Rye. Holden Caulfield is such love!  :wub: Make it happen, Edgar Wright or Wes Anderson!

JD Salinger didn't want a film made. Poor guy got lambasted by critics when another of his works went to film IIRC. Refused to let anything else be filmed.

Exactly, Files did inspire those "Kids on an island killing each other for survival" films that are now very popular.  "The Hunger Games" owes some of it's influence to "The Running Man" to me also. 

• Like 1

5/17 - Cumberbatch Pine

5/24 - Diesel, Johnson, Cooper

5/31 - Will Smith, Freeman

6/7 - Vaughn and Wilson

6/14 - Hollywood Stoners, Crowe, Coster, Lane

6/21 - Pitt, Goodman, Crystal

6/28 - McCarthy, Bullock, Tatum, Foxx

7/3 - OMG DEPP, Carrell

7/12 - Sandler and co.

This summer is so star studded!

Yeah I was gonna say Pine but he is not nearly the internet sensation that BC is.  Really doesn't apply to Trek because it is not star driven. Trek has it's own following.