baumer

Thurs Numbers STID 11.4 GG 3.4 IM3 3.3

I didn't say you were lying dude, back up.  I'm telling you what I saw last night. I even posted here when I saw it.

I'm just telling you there were still ads running for the May 17th date during the Warriors vs. Spurs game. Are you telling me I didn't see it? LOL

Sorry, I'm not getting defensive haha, but no I'm not. I didn't watch the Spurs and Warriors, but I did watch the others and it said the 17th. Also everything I've seen on the web said the 17th. And Trek fans on the web should have seen it. I didn't see major appeal from the GA for this to begin with. People may not have been aware and it could blow up on Friday, we don't know yet, but I'm not inflating expectations.

This. It'll do better than anything other than IM3 and CF.

Not sure if serious or...Anyway, if it's a joke, I apologize, but I'm not seeing the demand for this sequel. There's nothing indicating this will be huge, at least I'm not seeing it.

This feels just like when 58M figure for IM3 OD was out. Hopefully, just like what happened with IM3, things will got picked up for Trek  :)

I cant remember. I don't watch them for the characters. But yeah, that is weird. But the MC Hammer poster makes up for it.

lol where was that poster anyway? I can't even remember. 

And the races were even boring. Just spent the whole damn time skidding, err, I mean "drifting"

Not sure if serious or...Anyway, if it's a joke, I apologize, but I'm not seeing the demand for this sequel. There's nothing indicating this will be huge, at least I'm not seeing it.

I'm serious. IM $415, CF $375M, DM2 $330M+, MOS $315+. DM2 has a lot going for it. I don't see it as the next Shrek 2, nothing will be the next Shrek 2, but an $80M increase for this isn't outlandish - especially when people are calling $100M+ increases for Trek and Thor 2. The footage has been extremely funny and DM had child and adult appeal. This film should also dominate July as it should co-exist with everything until Turbo.

Sorry, I'm not getting defensive haha, but no I'm not. I didn't watch the Spurs and Warriors, but I did watch the others and it said the 17th. Also everything I've seen on the web said the 17th. And Trek fans on the web should have seen it. I didn't see major appeal from the GA for this to begin with. People may not have been aware and it could blow up on Friday, we don't know yet, but I'm not inflating expectations.

Yes. You have been saying for a while you didn't feel the buzz for Trek. If you say you've seen the new date in plenty of ads I believe you.  At least you try and be objective. I think a lot of people blindly predict high numbers based on the fact its a favorite movie.  And I agree also that the release date change is a handy excuse.

Top reasons ST2 may have disappointed:

1) Novelty from first film gone

2) IM3 burned up demand for early summer blockbusters

3) Target audience had little growth potential 

Anyone have any others to add?

• Like 2

This feels just like when 58M figure for IM3 OD was out. Hopefully, just like what happened with IM3, things will got picked up for Trek  :)

Actually it's a bit different. 11.2m is the real OD figure.  We'll just have to hope for a much better Friday.

• Like 1

4 years between films was too long.

• Like 2

Star Trek 2009 was a great mainstream success and even if you would think of millions of trekkies waiting in line, it did okayish Previews and had a very backloaded performance.

If STID is another mainstream-thing without the rush and combined with the new OD, pretty much everything still is possible for it.

You can call it a fail, if it isn't able to jump 100% today, but it's still too early with that thursday.

Star Trek had to deal with Angels & Demons and then Terminator: Salvation in the coming weeks. Two films that disappointed and the box office and honestly had no where near the demand of Fast 6 or Hangover 3. I don't see the room longevity. Trek 2 needs to bank cash early to match Trek. I expect it to recover and then some today and over the remainder of the weekend. But, it will get chopped down by Fast 6 and Hangover 3. It will not have the legs of Trek. $100M opening 4.25 days likely means less than Trek's $258M D in '09. $90M 4.25 days possibly means barely $200M D.

Stay strong Sam. Hopefully it jumps 150% on Friday. 

• Like 1

Yes. You have been saying for a while you didn't feel the buzz for Trek. If you say you've seen the new date in plenty of ads I believe you.  At least you try and be objective. I think a lot of people blindly predict high numbers based on the fact its a favorite movie.  And I agree also that the release date change is a handy excuse.

Yeah thinking about it the date probably played a hand, I thought I was being conservative with my predicts, but I didn't expect it this low. Also I don't think this date was a good idea. I think some people can be saving their money for next week. Trek would have dominated a month like August. I didn't like Trek 09, but I even had $325M at one point, then I just saw its not realistic, IMO.

I'm serious. IM $415, CF $375M, DM2 $330M+, MOS $315+. DM2 has a lot going for it. I don't see it as the next Shrek 2, nothing will be the next Shrek 2, but an $80M increase for this isn't outlandish - especially when people are calling $100M+ increases for Trek and Thor 2. The footage has been extremely funny and DM had child and adult appeal. This film should also dominate July as it should co-exist with everything until Turbo.

I seriously believe you and others are severely overpredicting this. It's just not happen. Both Thor 2 and Hobbit 2 should be above this, and while I don't see MoS breaking $300m DOM, it should certainly do better than DM2. Only if I'm completely mistaken, OS should be very meh for DM2, nothing to write home about. I don't see not even 1/10 of Shrek's following on that franchise.

4 years between films was too long.

No offense, but I swear I don't understand some of you sometimes. There are moments where you complain that 4 years between films is apparently long, but when you get a movie after 2 years you complain it's rushed. You either want a rushed film and wait 2 years, or a good film and wait 4 years. Make your choice already.

Date - August would have been better and people waiting next week for TH3 and F6

Not much to differentiate this from the first, since I also believe novelty is gone

4 years was a little long wait for the GA

Top reasons ST2 may have disappointed:1) Novelty from first film gone2) IM3 burned up demand for early summer blockbusters3) Target audience had little growth potential Anyone have any others to add?

The Avengers Side Effect: Everything that it's released close to the release date of an Avenger film turns to a flop until at least three weeks have passed.
  • Like 1