theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

The first one was able to benefit from a certain invigoration as it introduced new, fresh takes on familiar characters. This one can't do that because they've already been introduced. The plot gets very shaggy in places and, like the first, this one is appallingly cavalier about basic science stuff, but at the end of the day it's saved by the characters (who are still great) and by Cumberbatch, who's a great villain.

It actually did a much better job than most ST movies in giving tasks and great moments to the entire cast, not just the holy trinity of Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

why are people so surprised though? this is in range of what Trek is supposed to be doing. It looks to low to me here because I've seen so many 120/350, 115/400, 135/380 predicts, but blocking those and analyzing it, this is about right.

A sequel decreasing from a supposedly extremely well liked film is not to be expected, usually.

• Like 1

A sequel decreasing from a supposedly extremely well liked film is not to be expected, usually.

Spider Man 2. Trek 09 was novelty like Spider Man. THG, TA, and Avatar were well liked, but those likely will decrease too.

Spider Man 2. Trek 09 was novelty like Spider Man. THG, TA, and Avatar were well liked, but those likely will decrease too.

Yes, but all those movies hit 400M+ whereas Star Trek barely hit 250M. STiD had much more room for improvement.

Edited by zenithtim

You could say Transformers and Pirates were novelties too, and yet they increased. 

• Like 1

Either the Trek franchise simply has a relatively low ceiling due to decades of ridicule, or they made a big fucking mistake waiting four years to release a sequel to one of the most beloved blockbusters of the last decade. Considering the reaction that the reboot received, the sequel shouldn't be starting this slow. 

I'm sure WOM will be great, but still. 

I'm sure the 4 year gap hurt the movie.  I'm a huge ST fan, and liked the last one enough to see it 11 times (only once by myself if you're wondering :P ). 

But I was super excited for a sequel until about two years ago when they moved the release date from 2012 to 2013.  And I've seen this one once so far, liked it a good amount, but won't see it nearly that many times.

Yes, but all those movies hit 400M+ whereas Star Trek barely hit 250M. STiD ad much more room for improvement.

Novelty. The last Trek was 7 years prior and it was terrible. JJA came in with a fresh, new millenium look and fans and GA wanted to see if he could do it. He did and it drew in people who wouldve of ever considered Trek. STID looks like the same old same old and it didnt give many non fans a reason to come back. ST09 IMO didnt make $254 just cuz its Trek, it did it because it was a sudden accailmed surprised. Opening before F6 and TH3 also doesnt help cuz many casual goers, including me, are likely saving money for next week.

I'm sure the 4 year gap hurt the movie.  I'm a huge ST fan, and liked the last one enough to see it 11 times (only once by myself if you're wondering :P ). 

But I was super excited for a sequel until about two years ago when they moved the release date from 2012 to 2013.  And I've seen this one once so far, liked it a good amount, but won't see it nearly that many times.

Wow, 11 times? That's pretty impressive. I've never seen the same movie more than 4 times.

You could say Transformers and Pirates were novelties too, and yet they increased.

Oh here we go...Pirates had no initial fanbase and was a surprise hit. TF was a more exception, but was more GA friendly and it was ALOT easier for non fans to understand. Trek atill gives off a noche feel

Wow, 11 times? That's pretty impressive. I've never seen the same movie more than 4 times.

The most I had before that was LOTR:FOTR, at 5 times, and that was only because I watched it twice more when they attached that TTT trailer a couple months after release.

Oh here we go...Pirates had no initial fanbase and was a surprise hit. TF was a more exception, but was more GA friendly and it was ALOT easier for non fans to understand. Trek atill gives off a noche feel

Valid points. 

• Like 1

Novelty. The last Trek was 7 years prior and it was terrible. JJA came in with a fresh, new millenium look and fans and GA wanted to see if he could do it. He did and it drew in people who wouldve of ever considered Trek. STID looks like the same old same old and it didnt give many non fans a reason to come back. ST09 IMO didnt make $254 just cuz its Trek, it did it because it was a sudden accailmed surprised. Opening before F6 and TH3 also doesnt help cuz many casual goers, including me, are likely saving money for next week.

Umm...STID has the same new millenium look and it's certainly not the same old same old. The trailers were amazing. Whatever is causing the lower than expected numbers has nothing to do with the marketing or, obviously, film quality. 

Edited by tonytr87

TF wide appeal and Pirates wide appeal are totally different from ST.

Everyone saw TF1 and Pirates 1..

Old people, kids, tweens, teens, young adults, nerds on the internet.

ST likely hit only a few of those groups.

You know TF2 today would be around 500 miillion with 3D and Pirates 2 around 590 million with 3d for cryting out loud! 

You just can't compare ST09 to such films. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1