theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

The scene undoubtedly carries less gravitas than the original for obvious reasons,

And that's why this movie bothers me so much.

We were promised a new Trek in 2009, and we got it! They blew up the planet Vulcan and it truly felt like anything could happen and they could take the franchise in any direction they wanted. Who knew what could happen next! But instead we got a lazy retelling of an old story that was inferior to the original.

I just found that horribly disappointing, because I had such high hopes for something new. A different movie would have been good, even if it wasn't great, because at least it would have been new and fresh. But not only did we get nothing new, but we got something old and inferior.

It's never good when you walk out of a brand new movie feeling like you'd seen it before.

Though like I said, I'm glad some people enjoyed it. It was a very entertaining movie.

Entertaining but disappointing.

I'll buy that he cares about Uhura. I'll buy that he cared about Vulcan. And I'll buy that he'd do anything to save his shipmates. But I simply don't buy that he views Kirk as such a strong friend.

Certainly not enough to go into full savage murder mode and try to beat Khan to death. If Uhura had died, that reaction would have been far more believeable. But for the death of Kirk, no, I just don't buy him going all 2001-Dawn-Of-Man style on Khan. 

You would not do everything for someone who risked his life to save you? Lol, Kirk died for saving everyone.

• Like 1

And that's why this movie bothers me so much.

We were promised a new Trek in 2009, and we got it! They blew up the planet Vulcan and it truly felt like anything could happen and they could take the franchise in any direction they wanted. Who knew what could happen next! But instead we got a lazy retelling of an old story that was inferior to the original.

I just found that horribly disappointing, because I had such high hopes for something new. A different movie would have been good, even if it wasn't great, because at least it would have been new and fresh. But not only did we get nothing new, but we got something old and inferior.

It's never good when you walk out of a brand new movie feeling like you'd seen it before.

Though like I said, I'm glad some people enjoyed it. It was a very entertaining movie.

Entertaining but disappointing.

That's IRON MAN lll for me. Different opinions of course.

22 + 27.5 + 21 = 70.5m 

I think it can manage that. Anyway, still a terrible opening weekend. It'll crash after Memorial Day weekend, and even on that weekend, it's going to get bombarded by Fast 6, Hangover 3, and Epic.

EPIC?

well...I think he will have to prove himself...is some Major Studio going to put him in marketing front and center again? He is like a Jude Law a good supporting character at best to most audiences

Okay I see what you mean. I don't think he's leading man material but he's a good actor. His career should be pretty successful within the right parameters.

Actually if it can make it through next weekend without imploding, STID may still have a decent run legs wise. The Fast franchise is one of the most frontloaded around, and I have a feeling TH3 will be unusually frontloaded as well so I expect them to both fall below 35m on their 2nd weekends. So after memorial Day, STID will have relatively weak competition till MOS.

Even if good legs happen though, it looks like ST09 is the highest it could possibly go now.

Edited by MovieMan89

well...I think he will have to prove himself...is some Major Studio going to put him in marketing front and center again? He is like a Jude Law a good supporting character at best to most audiences

In defense of Jude Law, he does have matinee idol good looks ... at least until his hair started thinning alarmingly.

$100M OW to $35M, even with inflated MD? Thats a little harsh

No it isn't. F5 fell 63% its second weekend, and it had great WOM and a smaller OW than F6 will likely have. A 65% 2nd weekend drop should be expected for F6, regardless of WOM. It's a Twilight/Potter type of franchise.