Darth Homer

All-time Domestic Box Office Champs Battle

What is your favourite all-time box office champ  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite all-time box office champ?

• The Birth of a Nation (1915)
    • The Big Parade (1926)
    • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
    • Gone With the Wind (1939)
    • The Sound of Music (1965)
    • The Godfather (1972)
    • Jaws (1975)
    • Star Wars (1977)
    • E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
    • Titanic (1997)

From all of the films that have ever held the all-time box office title, which are your favourites and which do you think have had the biggest cultural impact? I'm only including domestic champs here (sorry Jurassic Park) since overseas data is so unreliable pre-internet.

I think the best films are Snow White, Sound of Music, Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars and Titanic. Gone With the Wind, E.T. and Avatar are decent blockbusters if a little overrated, IMO. Birth of a Nation is technically impressive but morally reprehensible. Haven't see The Big Parade (and it's claim to the title is questionable since BOAN eventually outgrossed it on re-releases).

As for cultural impact, GWTW, Jaws and SW are undoubtedly at the top. GWTW and SW are also the only two to have reclaimed their title (the former in 1971 and the later, briefly, in 1997). GWTW also held the title for the longest (27 years consecutively). Avatar I think had the least cultural impact of any of them, other than the 3D boom. The real question is how long it will take another film to overtake it. I'm guessing at least 8 years, and it'll probably be a film we never expected to do it.

Edited by Darth Homer

none of them i've seen are that good. maybe i'm just a dipshit.

59 avatar

57 titanic

43 sound of music

41 et

26 jaws

23 star wars

haven't seen birth of a nation, big parade, snow white, gone with the wind, godfather.

Aw... come on, this isn't fair.  Star Wars, duh!

My list would look like this:

1. Star Wars

2. Titanic

3. The Godfather

4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

5. E.T.

6. Avatar

7. Jaws

8. Sound of Music

9. Gone with the Wind

Never seen The Big Parade or Birth of a Nation.

I had no idea that the Godfather adjusted to over 600M.  Mind blown.....

Anyways, I voted for Titanic.  Probably the best film from the 90's along with American Beauty.

Edited by Lumos

For comparison, here's how the original runs for each movie stack up, as near as I could estimate (adjusted totals in brackets):

[*]The Birth of a Nation (1915) - Highest-grossing film until 1925
    Total: $10 million (only $40 million because tickets were $2 for this film, even though average ticket price back then was less than 10 cents!) [*]The Big Parade (1925) - Highest grossing silent film of all time
    Total: around $5 million in rentals (difficult to calculate adjusted gross from that) [*]Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - Highest grossing until 1939
    Total: $66 million ($615 million) [*]Gone With the Wind (1939) - Highest grossing until 1966
    Total: $32 million in rentals (i.e. nowhere close to the $189 million/ $1.58 billion that BOM has its first run at) [*]The Sound of Music (1965) - Highest grossing from August 1966 until the re-issue of Gone With The Wind in 1971 
    Total: $79 million in rentals ($1.13 billion) [*]The Godfather (1972) - Highest grossing until 1975
    Total: $134 million ($626 million) [*]Jaws (1975) - Highest grossing until 1977
    Total: $196 million ($1.01 billion) [*]Star Wars (1977) - Highest grossing until January, 1983
    Total: $307 million ($1.13 billion) [*]E.T. : The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - Highest grossing until re-issue of Star Wars in 1997
    Total: $359 million ($987 million) [*]Titanic (1997) - Highest grossing until 2010
    Total: $600 million ($1.01 billion) [*]Avatar (2009) - Highest grossing and most successful film ever (US and worldwide)
    Total: $749 million ($761 million)

Interesting that all of them except the silent films adjust to between $600m and a little over $1b. GWTW is significantly more, of course, but wasn't there some controversy about BOM's adjusted figure for it?

Edited by Darth Homer