#ED

4-Day Wknd Est: FF6 - 120M; TH3 - 51.2M; STID - 47M; Epic - 42.6M; IM3 - 24.3M; TGG - 17M

To repeat Skyfall's break-out success they'll need to revamp Trek like Sony did with Bond after QOS.

I don't see how they can do it without resorting to Abram's bag of tricks which have seemingly lost their magic..

Abrams' Mystery Box horseshit is over after Into Darkness under-performed (and he jumped ship beforehand for Disney).

I will be stunned if his minions (Kurtzman, Orci and Lindelof) are involved directly in Trek 3 past "Name only" producer titles. Paramount is gonna clean house and get new people in.

• Like 1

WEELLL... The Dark Knight Rises (as much as it concluded the trilogy and Bruce Wayne's story, you could keep going with Blake in the cape and cowl).

Kind of like Bay promised TF3 was his last Transformers movie.

Then he heard the beeping a the dump truck backing up full of cash and changed his mind.

I don't think Nolan is that easily swayed plus any sequel would TDKR would ruin the trilogy's ending.

But Warner Bros probably culd give two shits about that silly "artistic vision" stuff.  :P

Youre gonna jinx it to pull a Trek 2/Panda 2 haha. We know noyhing about it yet that would warrant $400M, and IMO DM2 has a better chance. We'll see though

DM2 has a lot more competition though. It has Planes and Turbo to cut off its legs a little bit... Still, it's too early to argue about this, but it's the only film inbetween Catching Fire and Avengers 2 (except for maybe Mockingjay Part 1) that has big potential.

• Founder / Operator

True but Paramount (and box office analysts and us) expected more. Way more.

That just makes all of us wrong. I think (or, hope?) most people are joking when they call it a flop.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Jack Ryan, possibly, but I'll believe it when I see it. The absence of Bourne and scattered Bond movies does leave a big hole for it to break out, though.

Jack Ryan lacks the swagger of Bond or Bourne.

I don't know if it can catch on with generation Y.

Jack Ryan lacks the swagger of Bond or Bourne.

I don't know if it can catch on with generation Y.

That's Jack's appeal. Plus early word is really good, so it has that at least.

Edited by Floppit Floppeeeddd
  • Like 1

DM2 has a lot more competition though. It has Planes and Turbo to cut off its legs a little bit... Still, it's too early to argue about this, but it's the only film inbetween Catching Fire and Avengers 2 (except for maybe Mockingjay Part 1) that has big potential.

I dont think DM2 will, though I do think it will steamroll its competition. We have learned coutless times the sequels are guaranteed increase, and an increase from $217 to $400M is ridiculous. I just dont want this becoming How to Flop Your Dragon because of ridiculous predicts. Lets see if DWA doesnt bring more of the same and get some footage
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Also they will no doubt tighten the budget on 3. I know Into Darkness went waaaaay overbudget.

That could be a good thing. Big scale Trek is fun, but, they can afford to rein it in a bit.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

I thought there are plans to make TS4?

Right now I think the closest we get to a TS4 is through the shorts and tv specials.Though there were rumors of a TS4 that was about the mother and her toys Buzz and Woody

Youre gonna jinx it to pull a Trek 2/Panda 2 haha. We know noyhing about it yet that would warrant $400M, and IMO DM2 has a better chance. We'll see though

I agree Despicable Me 2 over How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Kids love those little yellow pillow looking people. They're even more popular than Alvin and the Chipmunks at their peak. 

• Like 1

CF is not locked. it could be a whole 48 month gap.

And where does it say that CF is locked to make 400m?There's a slight difference betweeen "having a chance" and "being a lock".The only locked thing for right now is you saying that CF is not a lock to make 400m over and over again. 

I agree Despicable Me 2 over How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Kids love those little yellow pillow looking people. They're even more popular than Alvin and the Chipmunks at their peak. 

Agreed. Even though they annoy me cos I can't see them as much beyond a cheap marketing tool but people love 'em, even when the trailer played before Great Gatsby yesterday there weren't any kids there but I could hear folks gush about how adorable the minions are.

That could be a good thing. Big scale Trek is fun, but, they can afford to rein it in a bit.

Totally.

Wrath of Khan, Search For Spock and Voyage Home were scaled back. Yet they worked, you didn't notice and still had great visuals. One thing they'll keep from Abrams' directorial tenure. It will still be a fun, fast-paced spectacle.

• Like 1