#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

For those old enough to get this reference, the Epic trailers always reminded me of Fern Gully.

Fox should be thanking their lucky stars it did so well over the holiday weekend. That first trailer was brutal (in terms of appealing to kids).

I think it was a pretty good trailer, I liked the song they used, but yeah there was nothing for kids in there. Its odd, they marketed this thing like its kind of a badass, more mature animated movie when actually its made for really small kids. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Don't know if you're in US but if you are you should look into using MoviePass.  Saves me so much $$$ and you can see everything.

As long as its in 2D. :)

Love MoviePass.

• Like 1

not even close.

Could easily be close. 5 of Pixar's original films made more money domestically than all DWA sequels except Shrek 2 and 3. I'm pretty sure at this point that HTTYD2 has the upper hand, but I won't be surprised one bit if Good Dinosaur lands within $50m of it, or closer. It's all going to depend on quality.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

Summer 2014 on paper sure looks like a weird one. It's the first since probably 2001 where there's no clear cut "event of the summer" film that can easily be distinguished a year out (X-Men isn't it, sorry! :P).

Though, the scheduling actually looks really good. I'm a particular fan of Dragon coming out 3 weeks after Dinosaur. It's a much better scenario than what we're getting with Monsters and Despicable Me.

• Like 3

As long as its in 2D. :)

Love MoviePass.

I have averaged seeing 9-12 movies a movie since I got mine in December.  It's insane.  And there is a bit of a loophole in the system.  Buy 2D ticket, bring glasses go into the 3D theater.  Not the most ethical thing probably but I've done it once.   :ph34r:  (Originally MoviePass was supposed to allow for 3D as long as you paid the surcharge, then they changed their minds and said only 2D, so I somehow reasoned I was owed a 2D movie and went for it). 

• Like 1

Epic isn't as bad as Rise of the Guardians, but they're but terribly bland movies. 

Saw Epic today and thought the storyline was veryyyy 'meh' but the voice work was great.  O'Dowd and Anzari in particular were great comic relief.  And I know many people in here didn't like it but ROTG was my favorite animated film last year.  I know it was a fairly simple story but the animation was absolutely gorgeous and I thought it played almost like an Avengers for kids.

• Founder / Operator

I have averaged seeing 9-12 movies a movie since I got mine in December.  It's insane.  And there is a bit of a loophole in the system.  Buy 2D ticket, bring glasses go into the 3D theater.  Not the most ethical thing probably but I've done it once.   :ph34r:  (Originally MoviePass was supposed to allow for 3D as long as you paid the surcharge, then they changed their minds and said only 2D, so I somehow reasoned I was owed a 2D movie and went for it). 

I don't think it's too hard to justify, personally. Most of the time when I see a 3D movie and get another pair of glasses, because they're recycled, they have smudges. IMAX is really bad about this--in Nashville, at least.

I get the idea behind recycling glasses, but part of the theater's responsibility there should be to make sure that they're as clean for subsequent viewers as when they were originally opened in the first place.

I don't think it's too hard to justify, personally. Most of the time when I see a 3D movie and get another pair of glasses, because they're recycled, they have smudges. IMAX is really bad about this--in Nashville, at least.

I get the idea behind recycling glasses, but part of the theater's responsibility there should be to make sure that they're as clean for subsequent viewers as when they were originally opened in the first place.

Not to mention isn't it possible to get Pink Eye from wearing glasses someone else wore who may have contracted the ailment?

Saw a tv spot for AE earlier that called it "amazing", "phenominal", "stunning", "intense", and "brilliant". I call it "bullshit". If youre going to throw in quotes to make your movie sound un-12%RT, at least choose adjectives that arent as generic as your movie.

Saw a tv spot for AE earlier that called it "amazing", "phenominal", "stunning", "intense", and "brilliant". I call it "bullshit". If youre going to throw in quotes to make your movie sound un-12%RT, at least choose adjectives that arent as generic as your movie.

Oh man, I remember seeing a tv spot for the Arthur remake where the announcer beams "The critics are LOVING Arthur" and the screen is filled with quotes. That shit got 26% on RT. WB did something similar with Yogi Bear, too

• Like 2