baumer

Tuesday Numbers RTH/ERC

But again, all of what you say here is mitigated by other factors.  Holiday weekends in May (they get two of them) and then summer weekdays.  Summer is and always has been the most competitive time to release a film,but there are obviously good reasons why studios do so.....they make insane amounts of money.

I don't know.  I think that the best month to release a movie in the US is in July.  But anyway, you can have any incentives,great month, competition will trump them anyway.  And i don't remember a competition that fierce. 

I mean it is clear to me for example that if FF6 was released a week after IM3 on the overseas market, IM3 would have not reach what it reached because i t had basicly 4 weeks in 90% of its overseas markets, without competition taking its potential rewatchibility or female viewers, without competition taking away its IMAX and 3D.

Edited by Ent

I know this is a Tuesday numbers thread, but since we're talking Iron Man 3, how much do people here expect it to finish with OS. If I remember correctly, it was up to $795M OS after the weekend. Are we looking at about $825M OS for a final total?

Maybe a little bit more.

Look at THG for example, those who love that movie could have watch it and rewatch it several times during two months.  Those who wanted to go to the movies without having something in mind will be inclined to watch it too because it was the only blockbuster movie that was talked about during two months...

First time I come across an information that TA got released on May 23rd last year. :PIf anything its late legs show the appeal among broader than expected GA, many posters here got caught off-guard on how well it was performing after it had opened to such a ridiculous OW.As for the IM3, given its OW it really should've performed better as those talks about outgrossing TDKR were pretty much  justifiable imo, but again man no one can downplay its success both DOM and OS, 400M DOM is still a very respectable club, that many, many hits failed to join throughout years.....but IM3 as huge hit as it is, appears to be somewhat frontloaded though.

I know this is a Tuesday numbers thread, but since we're talking Iron Man 3, how much do people here expect it to finish with OS. If I remember correctly, it was up to $795M OS after the weekend. Are we looking at about $825M OS for a final total?

$805M this weekend and $815M final

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

Yeah people always forget movies like Iron Man 3 and such always make a few million randomly when they fall out of the top ten as IM3 will be in around theaters till past Labour Day actually. 

• Like 2

Since we're on the subject, what's IM3 looking at for a final figure now? I haven't followed dailies much at all.

I see it finishing at $412m, it's run is somewhat similar to im2. Edited by InFmpromous

Yeah people always forget movies like Iron Man 3 and such always make a few million randomly when they fall out of the top ten as IM3 will be in around theaters till past Labour Day actually. 

Probably a bit sooner than that. IM2's last reported day was Aug 19, and it made a few hundred thousand more after that.

I think what legs show is an ability to expand beyond a core audience. If you have a significant fanbase, you can make huge numbers just from them, but because those are exactly the sort of people who'll rush to see their movie as quickly as possible, those films will be really frontloaded. If a film is leggy, it means it's already fulfilled its immediate fan-rush and expanded beyond to more casual moviegoers who've become interested.

+1

• Like 1

Daily Domestic Gross Tue, Jun. 4 2013

Wide (1000+)

# Title Tue, Jun. 4 2013   Locations   Avg. Total Wks. Dist.
1 Fast & Furious 6 $3,556,990 20% 3,686 28 $965 $177,529,455 2 Universal
2 Now You See Me $3,517,754 19% 2,925 -- $1,203 $35,835,258 1 Lionsgate / Summit
3 After Earth $2,328,221 13% 3,401 -- $685 $31,904,823 1 Sony / Columbia
4 Star Trek Into Darkness $1,880,972 15% 3,585 -322 $525 $185,050,586 3 Paramount
5 Epic $1,721,409 24% 3,894 12 $442 $68,483,951 2 Fox
6 Iron Man 3 $880,326 17% 2,895 -529 $304 $386,823,292 5 Disney

Edited by Punishment