baumer

Tuesday Numbers RTH/ERC

Well, people say that TRF2 was so hated, and if that is the case, then IM3 isn't much different.  It, imo, is really not a good movie.  The Avengers really helped the opening, but the film quality brought it down.

The quality didn't brought it down...competition did.

Look at HPDH2, 96 % at RT, you can't say that quality brought it down, yet it opened $5 million less than IM3, during the summer and enjoy IMAX and 3D for two months...not to mention that its run was extensive like many of the series.   Why didn't it break $385 million with all these incentives ?.

You just can't open at $169 or $174 million and pass $400 million that easy if the movie isn't LIKED by a large pannel of people.  You just can't.

The thing is not even 20 movies have reached $400 million.  If you remove those that have been rereleased, you have like 12-15 of them...it's not easy without competition, it's damn difficult with direct competition....And most of those movies were released in the summer for obvious reasons...Others like THG crawled to it benefitting about zero serious competition for two whole months !

Edited by Ent
  • Like 2

$400m is a huge amount of money and obvious IM3 is a huge blockbuster. However, the OW had people realistically talking about passing TDKR, and (less realistically) talking about $500m as a goal.

No one with any brain said this, honestly. The holds have been pretty good for how big it opened.
  • Like 3

I understand the competition thing but I don't see why competition is really that big a factor.  If it was, then studios would open their films on different weekends.  Competition is mitigated by holiday weekends, summer weekdays, wOM from previous films and other factors.  Summer is always very competitive.  I don't think competition mutes a films multiplier at all.  And really, when you say competition, IM3 is also a very big competitor for other films opening too.

Edited by baumer

With the $174m estimates, I remember a whole lot of TDKR discussion, actually. (Agreed about the holds, until recently, anyway).

Don't really see how that was ever a possibility. Would have to hold close to TA to get past it, no one ever said this would perform at that level other than maybe BKB.

Don't really see how that was ever a possibility. Would have to hold close to TA to get past it, no one ever said this would perform at that level other than maybe BKB.

Uh...TDKR opened $13.3m smaller than IM3 and had a weaker multiplier than TA (3.0 for TA vs. 2.8 for TDKR). That means IM3 wouldn't have needed a multiplier close to TA to reach $448m. It need a 2.57 multiplier, which isn't very close to TA.

• Like 1

Since we're on the subject, what's IM3 looking at for a final figure now? I haven't followed dailies much at all.L

Low end is barely 400, high end is 415. Depends on how much Disney gooses it with the Monsters University double feature and discount theaters later in IM3's run.

• Like 1

I understand the competition thing but I don't see why competition is really than big a factor.  If it was, then studios would open their films on different weekends.  Competition is mitigated by holiday weekends, summer weekdays, wOM from previous films and other factors.  Summer is always very competitive.  I don't think competition mutes a films multiplier at all.  And really, when you say competition, IM3 is also a very big competitor for other films opening too.

Well technically, IM3 lost half of its IMAX, some 3D  and a great deal of female viewers to Gatsby, 7 days only after its release.  Then  when STID came, all its IMAX was gone and further 3D, hence it started loosing a great deal of theaters account and some incentives to the competition while females that were en masse during the first week still went more to Gatsby.

Competition like the one we have whitnessed last month has lessen the watchability and rewatchability factor of most movies because people have a limitted amount to spend on monthly.

Look at THG for example, those who love that movie could have watch it and rewatch it several times during two months.  Those who wanted to go to the movies without having something in mind will be inclined to watch it too because it was the only blockbuster movie that was talked about during two months...

415 would be pretty good. I don't buy the competition argument, it was simply an ok film that turned out to be fairly frontloaded.

Competition is a big part of the issue, but this film still enjoyed a massive screen count and could have held up better if it was more well-liked by the audience.

Well technically, IM3 lost half of its IMAX, some 3D  and a great deal of female viewers to Gatsby, 7 days only after its release.  Then  when STID came, all its IMAX was gone and further 3D, hence it started loosing a great deal of theaters account and some incentives to the competition while females that were en masse during the first week still went more to Gatsby.

Competition like the one we have whitnessed last month has lessen the watchability and rewatchability factor of most movies because people have a limitted amount to spend on monthly.

Look at THG for example, those who love that movie could have watch it and rewatch it several times during two months.  Those who wanted to go to the movies without having something in mind will be inclined to watch it too because it was the only blockbuster movie that was talked about during two months...

But again, all of what you say here is mitigated by other factors.  Holiday weekends in May (they get two of them) and then summer weekdays.  Summer is and always has been the most competitive time to release a film,but there are obviously good reasons why studios do so.....they make insane amounts of money.

Fandango tells BoxOffice that Man of Steel is outpacing all other Summer 2013 releases at the same point in the release cycle. That could be VERY good news for the Warner Bros. release. The superhero flick is today's top selling film on Fandango, putting it ahead of Friday's new releases: The Purge and The Internship. http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2013-06-05-man-of-steel-outpacing-other-summer-2013-blockbusters-on-fandango