baumer

Tuesday Numbers RTH/ERC

No one expected Gatsby to break out, but damn near everyone assumed STiD and FF6 were going to do major damage to IM3's run.

Ah yeah. "Darkness is coming"

But yeah people say a lot of things both ways.

Somewhat misleading given Revenge of the Fallen, which opened on a Wednesday, grossed $200M+ for an opening five-day and barely managed to double that. Still, either way, the $400M+ D mark's pretty impressive no matter where you start. Not many flicks have grossed $400M+ D.

Well, people say that TRF2 was so hated, and if that is the case, then IM3 isn't much different.  It, imo, is really not a good movie.  The Avengers really helped the opening, but the film quality brought it down.

• Like 1

Well, people say that TRF2 was so hated, and if that is the case, then IM3 isn't much different.  It, imo, is really not a good movie.  The Avengers really helped the opening, but the film quality brought it down.

I never really got that. Transformers have never been my cup of tea but I never understood how a movie that makes that much money can be hated. Somebody likes it. Just like I love IM3.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 3

FF6 3.7,

NYSM 3.6 (Could end up neck neck again)

Ae 2.3,

THO3 1.8,

STID 1.7,

Epic 1.4

ERC:

Tuesday's top movies: #1(t) F&F6 $3.5M ($177M) #1(t) NOW YOU SEE ME $3.5M ($35M) #3 AFTER EARTH $2.3M ($31M)

The gap between NYSM and AE is quite noticeable as well.

• Like 2

I agree. My intent, in my head, was to just convey that discount days + Smith brand still couldn't make it look respectable to it's weekend opener competition. That WOM really must have taken root already by those who did see it, confirming to those that held off that their suspicions were right....it's a DVD'er at best. 

• Like 1

I've never really honestly understood the relevance of a multiplier. If the film has a massive rush factor to it, then it will more times than not have a poor multiplier. Potter, Twilight, Iron Man and Transformers are just a few films that have fans rushing to see them in the first 3-4 days. I'm not sure why it's more impressive to open to 50 million and get to 400 than it is to open to 170 mill and get to 400. It's also not very realistic for sequels to do that. in the modern era, ie) the last 7 years, besides TDK, has there really been a massively opened sequel than went on to have a crazy multiplier? Even TDK, which is a freak of nature, had a 3.37X, very good of course but not monstrous. The Avengers had a 3X. The point is, the higher you open the lower your multiplier is. Take a look at these multipliers:The Hunger Games: 2.7Transformers 2: 3.1 (off the first 3 days)Spiderman 3: 2.24DH2: 2.23Shrek 3: 2.66IM2: 2.43Twilight sequels: 2.2-2.4Hangover 2: 2.98The point is, the chances of you having a really leggy multiplier after you open very strongly, is less likely the higher you open. So IM3's legs aren't really that surprising.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 9

Well I wouldn't call it impressive given the huge opening weekend. The 400 M number is great. But if one relates it to the OW, it's really not.

The opening weekend is irrelevant, topping $400 million domestically alone on a $200 million production cost and when the previous two entries in the franchise didn't even sniff $350 million is damn impressive.

The bigger a movie opens the more upfront demand is burned off by 11:59pm on Sunday and the more frontloaded it's going to be. That's how it works, and it will only get worse as time goes on. The Avengers was one of the best received films of all time, yet it *barely* tripled it's opening weekend, because you can only do so much more after you open with $207.4 million in 3 days.