#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

300-320m final is a good target for MOS.

So basically now, big movies are superheroes, YA franchises and CGI animation with the occasional raunchy Rated R comedy that breaks out ( Hangover, Ted)

Currently trending on twitter is  #DadOfSteel

Looks like the MoS marketing team had this campaign planned out in pretty decent detail. The fathers day BO may surprise us all again, especially since neither the Spurs nor the Heat can wrap it up on Sunday.

Brilliant marketing! Masterful move by WB.

Can just Superman kicking ass cause positive WOM? So far, it seems so.

That's the key right there. That IS fun for a lot of the general audience. What many of the uptight critics failed to understand is that is what A LOT of people want to see.

Granted I haven't seen MoS yet, but it looks like there are some solid acting performances in there, it's not just action and explosions without anything else.

People sometimes forget the simplest things. He is SUPERMAN after all, so the general audience expects to see some SUPER things on screen, like SUPER fights. Man of Steel definitely delivers that.

The same question could have been asked years ago with Transformers 1, and it applies more to TF1 than MoS. Could robots transforming and fighting be enough for positive WOM? Combined with the other good aspects of TF1, that's exactly what caused good WOM.

Between Gatsby and Man of Steel, it's clear WB are still the MVPs when it comes to marketing. 

As for Hangover 3... that was more a fundamental flaw with the film itself, lol.

Don't forget 42, which came out of NOWHERE purely due to marketing. The movie's content would typically be box office disaster, a historical baseball drama, but it has done well domestically.

JACK THE GIANT SLAYER had a terrible one.

That looked like a terrible movie in general. No amount of marketing could save that. 

My wife makes me watch soap operas and there were commercials during those as well. They must have spent a Lake Michigan full of dough on this.

Well WB signed over 100 promotional partners for the film, so much of the marketing budget was in fact offset by the money from these partners.

TDK multiplier.

Believe!

:blink:

I would be STUNNED if it achieved that. I really can't see that happening. That would be beyond belief for this film.

Holdovers fri

TITE 7m,NYSM 3.2,Purge 2.9,FF6 2.5,Intern 2.2,Epic 1.7,STid 1.5,AE 1.2,THO3 800k, IM3 650k

BM 550k

LOL at AE, it just got CRUSHED. STiD and IM3 got hit pretty hard too.

Official CinemaScore for MoS, about what everyone expected: A-

So word of mouth won't be a huge problem.

Very nice, a bit under my A prediction.

Nice A- CS ... I'll take that, did TDKR get an A- or A?

CS is interesting, but when Inception gets a B+ and does a near 5 multiplier in 2010, I lost some respect for it. :P

CS is not always accurate or reliable. Generally though a high CS is a good sign.

Yeah guys...don't go ahead with yourselves...$330m or so should be the realistic goal as of now.

I think that's a huge success for Superman/DC fans.No reboot has ever come close to those numbers.It makes the decision for Warner Bros to do The Flash and Wonder Woman very easy.
  • Like 1

FRIDAY 11:30 PM, 3RD & 4TH UPDATEsSuperman audiences have just thumbed their noses at the new movie’s critics and given it an ‘A-’ CinemaScore. That will further help word of mouth as it’s already setting records for the biggest opening for June and the second biggest weekend opening of 2013. Warner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters with 3D in 3,357 venues) opened Thursday and is flying high at the domestic box office today on its way into the weekend. My sources have now refined their estimates to $46M Friday including that $9M in midnight shows (though some think the number could get as high as $50M). That makes for $120M for the three-day weekend, and $132M for the four-day cume including that $12M from Thursday 7 PM Wal-Mart shows. Even with a longish running time of two hours and 23 minutes, the Chris Nolan-Zack Snyder-David S. Goyer-Henry Cavill PG-13 tentpole could pack a stronger punch because of the 3D premium and immense wannasee. Meanwhile, counter-programming the Man Of Steeljuggernaut this weekend is Sony/Columbia Pictures’ raunchy apocalyptic comedy This Is The End (3,055 theaters). It received a ‘B+’ CinemaScore from audiences and 82% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and a #1 reception Wednesday. With a dearth of both ‘R’-rated movies or well-received laughers in the marketplace, pic made $7M or Friday, $21M for the 3-day weekend, and $32.3M for the 5-day cume - about what it cost.

Total moviegoing for this weekend shaping up as huge $200M, up +63% from last year as Summer 2013 continues to sizzle. Here’s the rest of the Top Ten based on Friday estimates:

3. Now You See Me )Summit/Lionsgate Week 3 [Runs 3,082] PG13Friday $3.1M, Weekend $11.5M, Cume $81.2M

4. The Purge (Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2,591] RFriday $2.8M (-83%), Weekend $8.5M, Cume $52.1M

5. Fast & Furious 6 (Universal) Week 4 [Runs 3,375 PG13Friday $2.5M, Weekend $8.4M, Cume $218.5M

6. The Internship (New Regency/Fox) Week 2 [Runs 3,399]Friday $2.2M (-65%), Weekend $7.0M, Cume $31.0M

7. Epic (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 4 [Runs 3,151] PGFriday $1.6M, Weekend $5.8M, Cume $95.2M

8. Star Trek Into Darkness (Paramount) Week 5 [Runs 2,331] PG13Friday $1.3M, Weekend $5.5M, Cume $210.3M

9. After Earth (Sony) Week 3 [Runs 2,432] PG13Friday $1.0M, Weekend $3.5M, Cume $54.0M

10. Iron Man 3 )Marvel/Disney) Week 7 [Runs 1,649] PG13Friday $650K, Weekend $2.6M, Cume $399.4M

Edited by kayumanggi

With MOS might have to go back to orig 45-50 range,still quite a few to come in , not feeling it doing 50 atm

Lets meet at 48 mill then

+12 mill from wm, its 60 mill going into sat and sun

Nah.. Not a big deal.. Shit happens and good for the DC fans that they have something else other than BATMAN that's doing well.. I'll leave my name obviously changed for 30 days...

I was so ready for saying something against you, then I read your post.

Major props dude. You are my favorite troll by far. I hope Marvel and now DC can hopefully continue producing quality movies and mesmerizing box office numbers B)

Oh yeah, congrats MoS :lol: