#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

TA taught me about shwarma. It's not every day that a movie teaches you something. And don't lie you message board tough guys....none of you knew what shwarma was either before TA. ;)

Coincidentally, I had my very first shwarma just a couple of weeks before TA release last year, after a screening of Titanic 3D, no less! :P Damn, all this shwarma talk has gotten me craving for one now!

• Founder / Operator

Sticking with these projections:

Fri: $44.05m

Sat: $37.0m (-16%)
Sun: $33.86m (-8.2%)

Weekend: $114.91 million

3.5-Day Total: $126.91 million

I still get the feeling WB is going to get it over Spider-Man 1's $114,844,116.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

So MoS will be the highest opening for a reboot?

Aye. TASM would technically have been, but even with a standard 3-day opening weekend I'm not sure it would have gone higher than $100m.

Edited by ShawnMR

What does everyone think about this... Steven Spielberg's Nightmare Scenario For Hollywood Is Already Coming True (Business insider)

A spiritual follow-up article to Steven Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry (The Hollywood Reporter)

Of all the Studios, Marvel seems to be the only one that doesn't really do small budget films, but then again (so far, aside from TIH) they really hadn't had trouble making money, especially OS.

TL;DR: Steven Spielberg says pretty soon you'll have to pay something like $25 a ticket for high-budget high-risk movies (e.g. Iron Man) and $7 for relatively lower-budget fare (e.g. Lincoln). Follow-up article says WWZ can be viewed 2 days early by anyone who wants to pay $50 per ticket (includes popcorn, digital copy of movie in 3 months, and other "freebies".. no thanks).

Edited by jse

So a Saturday increase without midnights? Hmm. Any reports?

I'd say ouch for Gatsby but 140m domestic for that film is already a homerun and more than WB could have possibly hoped for. Solid for MOS. Looks like its Friday figure played off of the midnight figure (~20% of OW) than the Walmart number, which we'll never ever fully understand. I'm just glad people are still seeing This Is the End. It should do a low 20s 3-day and mid 30s total by Sunday so a 4x multiplier from this weekend will get it 100m. With summer weekdays that's totally possible. LOL Internship. Funnier than Purge's drop (and that's saying something).

• Like 1

That would be great and would definitely lead to a quick greenlight on MOS2.

• Like 1

So a Saturday increase without midnights? Hmm. Any reports?

LOL it's 10am on the west coast. People are barely out of bed. I'm going to watch it later after lunch.

No Walmarts in NYC, lol

Oh lol my bad. I had assumed he went to a Walmart screening because he replied with dollar amounts, and they were different from druv's so i thought there were regional differences in Walmart ticket prices. But i think the thrust of the argument is the same regardless.

• Like 1

Of all the Studios, Marvel seems to be the only one that doesn't really do small budget films, but then again (so far, aside from TIH) they really hadn't had trouble making money, especially OS.

They make up for it by paying all of their cast and crew not named Robert Downey Jr. like a tiny independent studio on the brink of closure. :D

Edited by Spidey Freak